Hypoglycemia

Options
I'm hypoglycemic and i need to eat something every few hours. This will make weight loss difficult. Any suggestions?

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Won't make weight loss difficult if you just work what you eat into your calories. Just eat smaller amounts throughout the day rather than big meals. This is how I tend to eat, I'm constantly snacking during the day but my meals are usually not much more than 400 or 500 calories. Find low-calorie snacks to have and you'll be fine.
  • Knitting_Witch
    Options
    I am too, and get the severe shakes if I don't eat every 2 hours or so. I tend to 'snack' rather than have proper meals as even if I have a big wholesome meal, I'm still shaky 2 hours later! It is tough, not gonna lie, I've yo-yo'd for the past 3 months. I'm gathering friends just now who will hopefully help me too. Feel free to add me if you want :smile:

One meal tip that I've found is an egg in your oatmeal. Sounds terrible, but it's not, you don't taste the egg. Micro your oats as normal, the whisk in an egg and cook for another 30 secs or so, really bulks up the oats ~ twice the size! Then add sweet or savoury flavourings if you want ~ I add a dash of cinammon most days. The oats make you full, the egg keeps you full and it doesn't spike your sugar. Only 160 cals too for 30g of oats made with water and a medium egg.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm hypoglycemic and i need to eat something every few hours. This will make weight loss difficult. Any suggestions?

is this an actual medical diagnosis or a "feeling" ? If the latter, check it with a blood glucose meter - they aren't expensive. May avoid solving the wrong problem.
  • cherylfantl
    cherylfantl Posts: 4
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's a diagnosis. What snacks do you all recommend? Besides fruit, sometimes I don't have fruit at home or at work
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'm hypoglycemic (I have the rarer form called fasting hypoglycemia), it hasn't stopped me from losing 31 pounds in the past 6 months. My advice protein, protein and more protein (which helps keep your blood sugars steady and from dropping drastically).

Depending on which type you have, better choices in carbs or going low carb can help. If you have reactive (where your body produces high amounts of insulin in reaction to an increase in glucose) choose limited carbs low on the glycemic index, fruit in its self is NOT a good idea for a snack as it will increase your sugars temporarly but they will drop shortly after (you need a protein either Greek yogurt, nuts, etc). Your goal is to use your foods to keep your sugars from spiking and dropping.

If you have fasting hypoglycemia (where your body doesn't process glucose correctly, causing low blood glucose), your goal is to keep glucose readings from dropping to low, again protein is your friend. If you have this type complex carbs are best, but don't limit carbs. Again your goal is to use your food intake to keep your sugars as level as possible.

With both types it's a good idea to take several glucose readings a day, so you get an idea of how your body reacts to different foods. It's also a good idea to get a referral from your doctor to a registered diatitian (be sure and take your glucose readings and food diary with you so you can review it).
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic and we have to deal with hypoglycemia too. Tip: always check your blood sugar to make sure you are actually low and not just tired or hungry. It is often hard to tell the difference. If I feel low but my blood sugar is fine, I try to remind my body I'm just tired, which does not necessarily mean I need food. If I am low, glucose tabs give you the most bang for your calories. They are only 5 calories each and only 2-4 are usually needed to treat a low. The dextrose in them bring up your blood sugar fast. I do count them in my daily caloric allotment. I do not treat lows with fruit usually because the fiber in them slows digestion and will take a while to bring you up. Fruit juice and regular soda also work fast. Just remember to measure them and count them in your daily calories.

What has your dr suggested?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I eat every few hours. I did while losing. The key is what you eat.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    More protein and fat, less sugary stuff that just speeds up the crash. Cottage cheese mixed w fruit and rolled oats, warmed up in the microwave, does a great job of stopping crashes. An egg on we toast is good. Don't eat carbs (especially sweets) without some protein to balance it out. I've also learned that a few sips of crystal light can help stop a crash long enough to get some real food w protein into my system. The artificial sweetener tricks the body somehow, at least temporarily. I'm hypoglycemic and almost passed out the first time I tried to drop carbs, but since then I've learned how to keep things in check even if I am eating lower carb for whatever reason. There's no reason it should affect your weight loss. You just have to be more mindful of what you eat and make an effort to eat more protein throughout the day.
  • cherylfantl
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone!