Is cardio bad for you?

Options
12346»

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    dmiivanov wrote: »
    It's better to lift or do something high intensity anaerobic if you want to look like a man. Even small amounts of fat, after all that cardio, can make you look fat if there's no muscle: it's kind of fat to muscle ratio that determines the looks

So, you're suggesting that women who lift look like men? B)

Proof!!!!

sexy-woman.jpg
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    This is an excellent question! Our bodies were designed to do certain things, our genetics drive what we’re best at, and volume can be a problem for even the best of us.

Elite endurance athletes often struggle with very bad health issues. Why? Because they pushed themselves so far for so long. Exercise is stress, and the more intense, more often, longer we’re under stress, the more acute the response. In short, or light bouts, that can lead to adaptive improvement. And then there’s the line where it becomes chronic.

From personal experience, I’ve found my appetite goes crazy when I’m pushing out a lot of cardio. So, when I’m training for a longer run (like a marathon), I’m likely to put on weight. If I train doing long, slow distance and mix in some HIIT, I’m able to avoid the appetite pop.

Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. Exercise should be geared toward other health and fitness goals. If you want good cardiovascular endurance, then by all means, train that way. But don’t think, I’ll burn more calories and lose faster. Patience and persistence are key.

this guy ^^ gives out good, solid advice

Agreed! Every time I read his responses they're spot on.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    grimmeanor wrote: »
    Chronic cardio can be extremely bad for you. If you look at some of the elite endurance runners they are probably without doubt some of the fittest people on the planet, but I should think they are also some of the most unhealthy.
    I don't mean to sound argumentative, hopefully I simply misunderstood your meaning.

I did a Google image search for "elite endurance athletes" and I'm struggling to find anything that appears unhealthy with them.

Also, in line with that I am struggling with the part where you said they are the "fittest" while simultaneously the "most unhealthy". I think that might be due to the meaning of those words:

fit·ness
    ˈfitnəs/
    noun
    noun: fitness
    the condition of being physically fit and healthy.
    "disease and lack of fitness are closely related"
    synonyms: good health, strength, robustness, vigor, athleticism, toughness, physical fitness, muscularity; More

It seems that in order to be fit, one is also healthy by definition.

I'm sure it is a simple misunderstanding.

It is!

Fitness is a measure of physical ability!

To get to the level of fitness achieved by endurance athletes, must train and push your body to levels that are adverse to your health and potentially reduce your life span.

I'm not saying people shouldn't run marathons or take part in triathlon's (each to their own) but studies have proven that training and pushing your body to attain that level of fitness is detrimental to your health.

That's all I was saying - health and fitness, at that level, are two different things.

Also I think your google might be broken!!!!

I typed:
    Are endurance Athletes hea....

one of the first things was:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletic_heart_syndrome

Wikipedia as the source aside, please note this segment from that website about the clinical implications of athletic heart syndrome:

"Athlete's heart is not dangerous for athletes (though if a non-athlete has symptoms of bradycardia, cardiomegaly, and cardiac hypertrophy, another illness may be present). Athlete's heart is not the cause of sudden cardiac death during or shortly after a workout,[5] which mainly occurs due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a genetic disorder.

No treatment is required for people with athletic heart syndrome. Athlete's heart does not pose any physical threats to the athlete and, despite some theoretical concerns that the ventricular remodeling might conceivably predispose for serious arrhythmias,[16] there is no evidence of any increased risk of long-term events.[17] It is recommended that the athlete see a physician and receive a clearance to be sure that the symptoms are due to athlete’s heart and not another heart disease, such as cardiomyopathy. If the athlete is uncomfortable with having athlete's heart or if a differential diagnosis is difficult, deconditioning from exercise for a period of three months will allow the heart to return to its regular size. However, one long-term study of elite trained athletes found that dilation of the left ventricle was only partially reversible after a long period of deconditioning.[18] This deconditioning is often met with resistance to the accompanying lifestyle changes. The real risk attached to athlete's heart is if an athlete or non-athlete simply assumes that they have the condition, instead of making sure they do not have a life-threatening heart illness."[19
  • ForStMicheal
    ForStMicheal Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    the common sense rule applies here, pretty much all exercise is good for you, and all exercise is potentially harmful if you over do it.