Elliptical Question

Options
I'm kicking around the idea of buying an Elliptical. But I'm talking a very basic, very beginner type version. Keep in mind I've never belonged to a gym and at this point, my exercise of choice is walking. I found one at Walmart for around $280 - the brand was Golds Gym. They also have a Sunny brand for the mid $100's. Does anyone have any suggestions for this price range? How about the "mini" ones I've seen for less than $100 - just the wheel and foot pedals - the small thing that sits on the ground. My husband told me not to waste my money on that kind. Looking for suggestions/reviews. Thanks.

Replies

• sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    With Ellipticals and treads, I would stay away from the really inexpensive ones. I also don't think you need to buy the best with all the bells and whistles. I would do some research online and see what kind of reviews they get or look at fitness magezines that usually have annual reviews to find out which one to invest in.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    CookieCatCatcher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Search Craigslist - I just bought a 1000$ machine for 175$ - it was in pristine condition. All I had to do was sanitize it, and oil some squeaky parts. There were people selling gym quality ones (3500-6500$ retail) for less then 500$. I happen to love mine, its smaller and fits perfect in my bedroom. Its by new balance I think.
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    You get what you pay for.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I would agree with your husband. Try to go to a store and test them out to see if you like how they feel. One elliptical can be very different from the next: rear rotation vs. front rotation, etc.
  • sonicave
    sonicave Posts: 1
    Options
    I have an elliptical, I bought it at "play it again sports" for 69 bucks....you can also check Craigslist...but be careful in there. I tried the ones that you are talking about the one without handles. They are very awkward...you have nothing to balance on, and to try to get on it takes balance and patience, once you are on it, it feels like you are going to fall, I tried balancing in between door frames and that seemed to help....They are more than a hassle than they are worth it, and you won't get your upper body moving (in a positive way, you'll use it to balance you out...which may be a good thing, but I didn't want the extra hassle, so I just got one with the handles built in. I hope this helps in your decision!
  • laceylovespink
    Options
    have you tried an elliptical before?? I'm not suggesting you NOT get one but i know several people who bought them, took them home and then decided they were too hard or in once case her doctor told her that it was too high impact....i stepped on the golds gym one at walmart and decided that i didn't like it at all...all of the ones that i would even consider are higher end and I can't afford nor do I have the room so I keep chugging away at the gym on the one I like. Be sure to try it out before you buy...that way you don't waste your money on something you thought you would love :) i hope that helps and didn't sound snotty :) Good luck to you!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    When you start narrowing down brands, google reviews of the product from other owners. And if you can, go to the actual store to test it out first. I'd stay away from anything too inexpensive b/c it's likely to break down and not be worth the money you spent on it.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    For sure look for a good used one. I wouldn't get too cheap of one because I don't think you'll like it. Make sure the stride length is right for you and that the handle bars are in a comfortable position. The cheap ones I used are TERRIBLE for that. I'd rather save more money to get a better one than to get a cheaper one faster. I've loved having mine at home. I got a great deal on a really good used one from Craigslist!!
  • nlarnell
    nlarnell Posts: 2
    Options
    I had the chance to purchase an elliptical for around $150.00 at D-i-c-k-'s Sporting Goods. I think that the one at Wal-mart may be that price simply because it's Gold's Gym. As far as the elliptical with just the pedals, I'm not sure how good that would be with balance and sturdiness. I have a elliptical that also has a seat for use like a bike. Unfortunately my elliptical's seat has become the home for many t-shirts, but that's a whole different conversation!
  • precious71701
    precious71701 Posts: 105
    Options
    I just bought one from amazon.com...I love it...it squeaks really loud and I have to turn up the t.v...but that's my only complaint...I paid 100.00 for it...it was only 69.00 but had to pay for shipping...It's a 2 in 1...elliptical machine plus exercise bike...good luck finding what fits for you...I don't like getting stuff from Ebay or craigs list...I like to put my stamp on it...Just like my things to be new...but different strokes...
  • IrishChick71
    IrishChick71 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind when buying an elliptical is the stride length especially if you are tall. Generally speaking, shorter people (5’3” or smaller) can comfortably use elliptical machines that have an 16” to 18” stride length, and if you are 5’7” to 6’7” your best choice will be a 20” or 21” stride length. Any time you come across a stride length of an elliptical trainer with less than 18”, it’s going to feel less comfortable to most people, resulting in short choppy strides.

I got my horizon elliptical trainer off Craigslist as well for $220 which was a little more than half price. Definitely do your research first online and read reviews.

Elliptical machines are awesome to have. I love mine!

Good Luck!
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Stridetrainer-595-Elliptical/12566118

I have this one... I love it! The only downside is it can be noisy, but for the money, it's something I can let slide. At first I was hesitant because I'm so used to the ones at the gym, but I prefer this over the gym.

The cheaper one at Walmart, I cannot stand and would not ever buy. The one linked above has a great range of motion that can be adjusted.
  • Believeth64
    Believeth64 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I also own a elliptical however i agree watch which one you purchase i am a gymhollic and the elliptical was my main choice i workout one hour on it burning well over 1,000 calories i loved it so much i bought me one from d.i.c.k.s sporting goods and i agree you have to watch what you pay for one thing to remember elliptical have a weight barren limit and i will never buy one that do not have handles mines was like 1,400 dollars and i got it on sale for little over 900$ with tax i love the one i have mines have an incline, resistance, and also wifit, and it also have preprogramed or i can make a workout and save it and use it again it really work i sweat well i always sweat like you won't believe i can squeeze the water out of my clothes they are soak and wet but when i am finish i feel wonderful i also have a stationary bike and the wii they are also great for sweating while getting a great work out check around look for a good deal but please don't invest in a piece of junk it is not worth it