Zig zagging & "extra calories"

Options
melzteach
melzteach Posts: 550 Member
I'm about to start week 6 of Turbo Fire & I started zig zagging a week ago (1350-1550). This week the low cal days were really tough and today, with the workout I did, I've got a lot left to eat and I'm just not very hungry. I had low-cal days paired with low cal burning days & high-cal days paired with high cal burning days. I typically burn anywhere from 350-800 calories per workout.
I'm thinking if switching it to the opposite: low-cal days paired with high cal burning days & high-cal days paired with low cal burning days. Thoughts?

Replies

• mrsd1006
    mrsd1006 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am just curious--what is zig zagging and what are the benefits? I've never heard of that before.
  • SkinnyCate
    SkinnyCate Posts: 116
    Options
    What do you think the benefits will be of you switching it? It makes more sense to me the way you are doing it now. Just curious :) (I don't zig zag and do not know much about it)
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have done this when I hit a mini plateau, and I found that I liked to keep my higher cals/carb days with the days where I have a more intense workout. ( like leg day) it helps keep your energy up and your muscles get sufficient nutrients while doing a more intense workout. I also feel the need to eat more on higher calorie burning days... it helps to keep me from a binge if I know that I already have more calories/carbs to have that day!

really though, everyone can be a little different with what works for them. trial and error could help you figure out what really seems to work for you, so give it a try if you are really unsure!
  • melzteach
    Options
    I am just curious--what is zig zagging and what are the benefits? I've never heard of that before.

Zig zagging is when you alternate your daily caloric intake so you'll have high days and low days. The benefits are to keep your metabolism guessing. Then you're supposed to burn mire fat and are A KOT less likely to hit a plateau.
  • dianne_mama_3
    Options
    I was doing some more checking and the only other thing I found that could be helpful is that most recommended your "gap" between low and high days needs to be at least a 300 calorie difference, if not more. I guess this just adds to the confusion of the system.
  • melzteach
    Options
    I was doing some more checking and the only other thing I found that could be helpful is that most recommended your "gap" between low and high days needs to be at least a 300 calorie difference, if not more. I guess this just adds to the confusion of the system.

I as told that it needed to be at least a 200 gap...and yes it is confusing.