Frustrated

Options
I am not sure what is going on. Long story short, I lost 55 lbs about 8 years ago and over the past few years it has been gradually coming back. I recommitted myself to weight loss again in January and have lost about 16 lbs. I have been steadily losing some weight every week until last week. Some weeks it is a lot others it is very little but I figure it evens out over time. Last week I not only didn't lose anything but the scale actually said I gained a pound. I am sticking to a 1200 calorie a day diet and have been trying to increase my activity level. I was so frustrated last week (my weigh in day is on Fridays) that I didn't eat well at all this weekend. I am back on the plan today but hope to see some progress this week. We have a vacation in about 9 weeks and I was hoping to lose about 10 more pounds before we leave. That would put me half way to my goal but if I don't see some progress this week, I don't know that it is achievable. :(

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. Even when you do everything right, you may not see weight loss every week.

If you let one pound variances (which could easily be water) frustrate you into abandoning your plan, you will find it very hard to meet your goal.

You may lose ten pounds before you leave. You may not. Wouldn't you feel better losing eight pounds before vacation instead of zero? Don't get so hung up on specific numbers. Look at the long term trend. You've lost 16 pounds!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. Even when you do everything right, you may not see weight loss every week.

If you let one pound variances (which could easily be water) frustrate you into abandoning your plan, you will find it very hard to meet your goal.

You may lose ten pounds before you leave. You may not. Wouldn't you feel better losing eight pounds before vacation instead of zero? Don't get so hung up on specific numbers. Look at the long term trend. You've lost 16 pounds!

That. Also, make sure 1200 calories is an okay goal. You don't have to eat 1200 to lose weight.
  • danomitex
    danomitex Posts: 21 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Agreed with janejellyroll. Don't focus on the numbers so much because there are so many factors that can cause your body weight to fluctuate daily. That 1 pound isn't necessarily "fat" gain. Keep the long-term goal in mind.

Instead of the numbers, judge your weight loss based on how you feel and how you look in the mirror. If you can see that you're slimming down... it doesn't matter what the scale reads.
  • uh_day
    uh_day Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I gained around 1 pound from yesterday. ..I'm 13 days post op gastric band. I kept below 1000 calories but I sneaked in some late night eating and 3 miniature dove icecream bars which are sugar and carbs....today I beat my self up but got right back on bandwagon. ...one day at a time
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what is going on. Long story short, I lost 55 lbs about 8 years ago and over the past few years it has been gradually coming back. I recommitted myself to weight loss again in January and have lost about 16 lbs. I have been steadily losing some weight every week until last week. Some weeks it is a lot others it is very little but I figure it evens out over time. Last week I not only didn't lose anything but the scale actually said I gained a pound. I am sticking to a 1200 calorie a day diet and have been trying to increase my activity level. I was so frustrated last week (my weigh in day is on Fridays) that I didn't eat well at all this weekend. I am back on the plan today but hope to see some progress this week. We have a vacation in about 9 weeks and I was hoping to lose about 10 more pounds before we leave. That would put me half way to my goal but if I don't see some progress this week, I don't know that it is achievable. :(

Weight fluctuates. If you are eating fewer calories than you burn, and you are confident in that, then you are losing weight. Don't get hung up on the fluctuations. Your weight is going to vary by +/- 3 pounds (give or take my give or take) at any given time so you can see how you can show a weight gain on the scales when in fact you may have lost. Look for long term trends (two months if you weigh yourself once per week) and don't sweat the short term changes.