Throwing down power blocks?

Options
Sthere
Sthere Posts: 59 Member
Maybe a silly question, can you throw down power block elite dumb bells without damaging them? I feel pain when I supinate and probate my left wrist, maybe it's from carefully putting them down after a lift bad I'm hurting myself? I read though you really shouldn't throw them like a hex dumbbell either. Please help.

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    No. They are not made to be thrown down.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    No, dropping them can crack the weld on the plates.
  • Sthere
    Options
    So how do I prevent the wrist pain?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    No dumbbells are built to take the punishment of being dropped from more than a foot or two off the ground and definitely not made for being thrown down.

Is your wrist injured? I’ve seen some cross fitters using wrist wraps, which might help with the pain, but I’d focus on what’s cause the pain rather than trying to mask the issue with a wrap.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You shouldn't throw or drop any weights. Even bumper plates.

Sounds like you need to work on wrist mobility and potentially forearm strength as well. Might as well fix the problem.
  • ForStMicheal
    ForStMicheal Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't think carefully doing anything is going to result in injury. if these are adjustable dumb bells they will break easily and, as mentioned above, basically all dumb bells are more fragile then you might think
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

wat-gigantic-duck.jpg
  • usmcmp
    Options

wat-gigantic-duck.jpg

I know you crossfitters ignore that. You still shouldn't.
  • Sthere
    Options
    I was experiencing a muscle imbalance, my left side was developing at a slower pace compared to right side. I went to see an atlas orthogonal chiropractor and he took Xrays. My cervical spine was elevated on the left 4.5 degree, so he adjusted it. Hopefully lefty can catch up now. I can't increase the weight which is frustrating, even though I probably could on the right side. I don't want to create more of a noticeable difference between sides. I have some instability in the left wrist, I have a torn capsule from my siberian huskies yanking on the leads. I guess I should start strengthening the wrist up to prevent further injury
  • ForStMicheal
    Options
    [/quote]

I know you crossfitters ignore that. You still shouldn't.[/quote]

seems like the power lifters are more into this, during competition at least
  • usmcmp
    edited March 2015
    Options

During competitions it is illegal to drop the weight. It will earn you red lights and your lift won't count. We do have hard set downs, but you can't slowly lower a PR weight because there is a huge risk of injury.

Olympic lifting is completely different and some do drop their weights.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

you're quoting a powerlifter...

OP, I'd work on wrist strength and forearm strength/mobility like USMCMP suggested
    http://www.allthingsgym.com/mobility101/
  • ForStMicheal
    Options

During competitions it is illegal to drop the weight. It will earn you red lights and your lift won't count. We do have hard set downs, but you can't slowly lower a PR weight because there is a huge risk of injury.

OK I meant that one then lol
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    Sthere wrote: »
    I was experiencing a muscle imbalance, my left side was developing at a slower pace compared to right side. I went to see an atlas orthogonal chiropractor and he took Xrays. My cervical spine was elevated on the left 4.5 degree, so he adjusted it. Hopefully lefty can catch up now. I can't increase the weight which is frustrating, even though I probably could on the right side. I don't want to create more of a noticeable difference between sides. I have some instability in the left wrist, I have a torn capsule from my siberian huskies yanking on the leads. I guess I should start strengthening the wrist up to prevent further injury

Also sounds like you should drop the weight on both arms for these particular dumbbell movements until your strength re-balances. Good form, patience, persistence, progression.

• AllanMisner
    Options

From my years of lifting in a standard gym, I cannot allow myself to drop or throw the weight during crossfit. Controlling the weight down is part of my PR.

• usmcmp
    Options

From my years of lifting in a standard gym, I cannot allow myself to drop or throw the weight during crossfit. Controlling the weight down is part of my PR.

I can't stand when people drop weights. My deadlifts come down hard, but they are still controlled. A guy at my gym would drop his deadlifts from the top. Great way to destroy the equipment.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

What's the point of a bumper plate if you can't drop it? That's half the fun!
  • AllanMisner
    Options

I can't stand when people drop weights. My deadlifts come down hard, but they are still controlled. A guy at my gym would drop his deadlifts from the top. Great way to destroy the equipment.

Actually, the bumper plates we use at crossfit are designed for a drop (3 - 4 ft). But yes, I think people exaggerate the drop stroke the ego. It sounds cool, but I just can’t let the weight go.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

That is ridiculous, at least somewhat control it downward.

DB's can be difficult depending upon the position you're in. If I do a flat or incline DB press I can't let them down all the way so I will drop them. Personally I have some old injuries that create certain limitations for me and I'm not about to risk injury by letting down a piece of metal. I let them down as far as I safely can and then drop.