Exercise when injured

Options
Can anybody give me any advice as to the best kind of exercise to do for weight loss whilst injured? I went from an avid runner to a slob in the space of three months because of a bad Achilles tendon injury. I'm still out of action and I have spent a lot of time eating, drinking and feeling sorry for myself and I've put on a good bit of weight. I feel it's time to stop moping around and try something new! Has anybody else had any experience with having to give up running? Is it possible to lose weight with weight training alone?

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    It starts with the food, not the exercise. If you won’t address that, no amount of exercise around an achilles injury is going to help you.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It starts with the food, not the exercise. If you won’t address that, no amount of exercise around an achilles injury is going to help you.

100%. Calories In < Calories Out = Weight Loss. Exercise has many benefits and can aid in weight loss, but is not required. However if you don't do CI<CO you will not lose weight.

Talk to your doctor about exercises you are able to do with your current injury. Every injury is different. I've heard Achilles injuries can be bad. You don't want to make it worse.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple of minor issues that forced me off running for short spans twice (a month in sept due to ITBS, and the past week due to a mild sprain from rolling my ankle). When I've been off running, I've been swimming laps and biking on the trainer. :)
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Yes if you watch your calories. Yoga is good, weight training, rowing, elliptical, swimming, aqua jogging, pilates, biking is, I don't know if trx might help, bc you do weight training. Trx is more body weight training with a cardio element. I also would suggest looking up low impact exercises that burn a lot of calories. Oh wait walking and rollerblading are good. Dance might be good was well.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have some hurting legs from over running. I've switched to elliptical for a bit. The lower impact is helping. Stationary bike is boring as hell, but doesn't hurt. I'm also doing some weights and yoga. The yoga is also boring but I really need the stretching. I wish there was a pool nearby that was open like 24 hours (too cold to swim outside, we are still getting the occasional snow!). I love to swim, but the pool I could get access to at our local middle school (they charge like $40 for a 3 month membership) is only open from 5pm-7:30pm and I just can't make it then.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    IMHO you should really focus on your eating. Exercising with your type of injury could cause further damage. Not that it is comparable, but I had a hysterectomy in 2013 and couldnt workout for at least 6 weeks. I focused on keeping my calories in check intending to pray and maintain, in the end I lost 7 lbs.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    http://greatist.com/fitness/take-it-easy-21-unexpected-low-impact-workouts

You cannot cancel out a bad diet with exercise

Good luck
  • karenhen71
    karenhen71 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I should have mentioned that I do intend to change my eating habits. I had a good diet going back when I was running and I feel I could get back into a similar way of eating once I put the energy that I had for running into something else. I think eating healthily is alot easier when an active lifestyle is combined with it! It's consoling to know that some of you have been in the same situation and found other ways! I def think I'll give the yoga and biking a try :smile:
  • HillOE
    HillOE Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I had to give up running, combine it with finishing my race season (long course tri), switching to a desk job and winter I can relate to adding a few extra pounds. Not going to repeat what others have said, I agree with it.

Try other exercises if they don't bother you: spinning if cold, bike outdoors if nicer, aqua jog (if the possibility to get back into running is there, that's a good one), elliptical, yoga for tone...etc. You just need to find something that can replace the calories you are used to burning from running. Not going to lie, it wasn't easy for me. Running was so easy to do, now it's go to the pool, change, swim, shower, change, come home. Or get bike gear together, check bike, get out ride..oh wait too cold to ride....come back inside sit on couch. When you're actively exercising you eat more, when you stop it takes your body some time to slow down on the calorie intake. Good luck! my running days are over, but I still plan to race swim/bike events and walk the marathon of an IronMan (which really isn't fun at all, but I'm not ready to give up).

• Kiku10
    Kiku10 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics. Hands down best. Some gyms have warm water pools and classes. Worth a drive if possible.