First Timer

Options
I just found this wonderful app on Saturday. I have never counted calories and didn't even know how. I have never had a weight problem until I turned 40 and I am gaining steadily and I am desperate to stop this cycle. I was talking to a friend who was on an expensive program and said that she logs in all her calories on a website. This made me start searching. I found this on my phone app and decided to give it a try. We were traveling so I had some free time to check out the site. I am amazed at how many foods are listed in the database. I started logging in what I had eaten so far, by mid morning and had already used up almost half my calories for the day. Wow! it's no wonder I am not losing any weight. When I want to eat something, I go and check to see what it would do to my calorie count if I ate it. I have chosen not to eat whatever it was just because of that. I am anxious to continue logging in and looking forward to educating myself on a lower calorie diet. I hope to post my progress in a month.
Melisa:flowerforyou:

Replies

• choughton01
    choughton01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to MFP and am looking for a new healthy lifestyle. Any help, recipes, and ideas are greatly appreciated and needed. Thanks
  • Lisane1969
    Lisane1969 Posts: 11
    Options
    Welcome !
  • BrendaBlis
    BrendaBlis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck to both of you! I never had interest in counting calories before, this site had made it EASY. :flowerforyou:
  • hpq1985
    hpq1985 Posts: 1
    Options
    HELLO!!!
  • fiat
    fiat Posts: 17
    Options
    I just found this wonderful app on Saturday. I have never counted calories and didn't even know how. I have never had a weight problem until I turned 40 and I am gaining steadily and I am desperate to stop this cycle. I was talking to a friend who was on an expensive program and said that she logs in all her calories on a website. This made me start searching. I found this on my phone app and decided to give it a try. We were traveling so I had some free time to check out the site. I am amazed at how many foods are listed in the database. I started logging in what I had eaten so far, by mid morning and had already used up almost half my calories for the day. Wow! it's no wonder I am not losing any weight. When I want to eat something, I go and check to see what it would do to my calorie count if I ate it. I have chosen not to eat whatever it was just because of that. I am anxious to continue logging in and looking forward to educating myself on a lower calorie diet. I hope to post my progress in a month.
    Melisa:flowerforyou:
    welcome! i always look at food like i'm buying something, and look at the calorie's and think " can i afford the price?" just starting here not too long ago, and its going to work for me. i was slacking and then got motivated by everyone else,, helps to be connected to alot of people and read what their doing, how their doing it,,, how they stay on their program, etc,,, good luck!
  • BeachLife76
    BeachLife76 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Good luck on your journey :smile:
  • trapitt
    trapitt Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi Melissa. Welcome aboard. I just completed my first week on MFP and I love it.
    My favourite part is that I carry it with me on my blackberry (but can also access on my computer). I tell the app what I ate and it tells me how muh more I can eat in a given day. I also have the incentive to get out and exercize because I can earn more calories on days when it is hard to keep under my calories for the day. I find this much easier to follow than wieght watchers (and FREE). Good luck and keep in touch, I want to hear about your success!

Tracey
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I've lost 23lbs since 01/31/11 with the help of this website and my MFP friends, who are all so motivating, encouraging and inspiring. Good luck in your journey!
  • lvigue
    lvigue Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome! I will tell ya, I have been counting calories on my own for 5+ years with little success, couple pounds here and there. With this sight, I have lost 10 pounds in a little over a month (in addition to the 10 pounds I lost over the 3 months prior to finding this site). Please note though that I went from light exercise to walking/jogging 3 times a week and a 30 minute pilates video an additional 3 days a week. Cutting calories alone will not do as much as incorporating a REGULAR exercise routine. I know, trust me, I used to just count calories and the most I ever lost was 5 pounds, if that. EXERCISE is CRUCIAL!!!

Good luck!! :)
  • Melisa454
    Melisa454 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you Fiat,
    I see I will become a label reader also. Thank you for your encouragement. I will round up a support group also. I appreciate your advice. Best of luck to you also with your goal.
  • Melisa454
    Melisa454 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you Wifeofsoldier. I appreciate the support.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I'm a fairly new user too, feel free to add if you like :)
  • jenndog
    jenndog Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I agree, the phone app makes it so easy, and I also love the barcode scanner. I really don't have an excuse not to track what I eat and my excerise. Good luck with your journey!