Keeping Dorm Room Healthy

Options
I'm just about to start my spring quarter of college. After gaining about 10 pounds last quarter, on top of the weight I gained working at a restaurant over the summer, I decided to make a change and make a goal of what I weighed when I graduated high school: 105 lbs. It's hard to eat healthy eating college dining hall meals without eating the same rice, grilled chicken and steamed veggies everyday. I'm a weird one who doesn't like salad. Tips for eating healthy in college and food that is easy to prepare in a dorm room would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• onlyadrizzle
    onlyadrizzle Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm struggling with the meal plan as well right now ): There isn't many options, I started to look at the calories of the meals they serve and they are easily 400+ for a small portion which is crazy and I don't like salad either, so I've just been having a sandwich on whole wheat bread made for most of my meals. Occasionally I make myself eat a salad which isn't awful, usually just some lettuce, carrots, some meat from the sandwich line cut up, and maybe some egg if they have it. No dressing because I don't like it! So I totally feel your pain girl!

I don't really have any suggestions on food to make because I don't make any but I at least like to keep fruit and nuts in my room so that is my go to snack food! I don't let myself keep chips or anything bad in the room and that helps a ton while I'm studying and whatnot(:

I hope you get some good ideas!
  • taylorlaw863
    taylorlaw863 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm currently dealing with the same thing you are. The one thing I told myself at the beginning of the year is to avoid any section of the caf with pizza, burgers, etc. If I have to go to the cafeteria to eat, I go directly for the salads, proteins (fish mainly, sometimes chicken breast), oatmeals, and sandwiches (on occasion, because they have a lot of sodium). I mostly eat in my room. I buy lots of oatmeal, peanut butter, whole wheat bread, quest bars, yogurt, cheese sticks, protein shakes, mixed nuts, fruits, canned veggies, low cal soups, high fiber cereals, tea, etc. every morning, I fill out my MyFitnessPal app with the foods in planning on eating that day- and I lay all the foods out on my desk. During the day, inbetween classes, etc I eat what's on my desk and nothing else. A lot of the foods I buy, you can also find in the cafs if you know where to look. (I bring Tupperware to the cafs and take fruits and veggies to eat as snacks the next day! Also teas, oatmeal packets, and nuts. Those are common in my cafs.)
    it's hard work at first, but I stuck to my regimen and I lost 8 lbs first semester. Now I'm working on putting them back on in muscle! You get used to eating in cafeterias after awhile.
  • taylorlaw863
    taylorlaw863 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Also- after nights of drinking I make sure I wake up and do high cardio the next day. Usually on Fridays and Saturdays I cut my calorie intake by a few hundred, and the next morning I do intervals of running/walking on an incline for about an hour. :)
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I'm always nervous about goals based on high school weights. Your body is changing a lot, and it is often not realistic to be the same weight you were in high school. It can have really negative consequences for your life if you get very caught up in a number that just isn't right for your body. How tall are you?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I'm always nervous about goals based on high school weights. Your body is changing a lot, and it is often not realistic to be the same weight you were in high school. It can have really negative consequences for your life if you get very caught up in a number that just isn't right for your body. How tall are you?

She's 19 so high school was like 8 months ago.
    It'd be one thing if she was 25 like I am or even older.
    But since high school was so recent for her, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

But knowing her height would be helpful
  • Sassy_xo
    Sassy_xo Posts: 44
    Options
    Staying healthy while eating in college dining halls can be so hard! Since you don't like salads, I would say look for lean meat options, such as chicken or turkey, or certain fish choices. Hard boiled eggs are also a good option. Brown rice is good, especially if paired with a serving of black beans. Veggies (that are steamed or boiled, not prepared in oils or butters) are also a good, filling option. I understand what you mean about it getting boring after a while though. I don't know what all your school offers, but sometimes breakfast foods for dinner are a good option to switch it up! You can do whole wheat toast with peanut butter or a bowl of a high fiber, low sugar cereal with 2% or skim milk. Oatmeal is also a great option since it keeps you full longer and is digested slowly. I always opt to get it plain and add in my own choices of toppings to save on calories. Raw carrot sticks or celery dipped in hummus are good! Yogurt with granola is a good snack and so are nuts and trail mixes. String cheese is good for protein!

As far as snacks you could keep in your dorm, there are a ton of options and this is what worked best for me instead of trying to eat caf food! I'm not sure if you have a mini fridge or not, but if so you have a lot of options. Cottage cheese and fruit, greek yogurt, hummus or guac and veggies, protein shakes, almond milk, string cheese, hard boiled eggs (you can prepare ahead of time and just have on hand in the fridge!), and lunch meats for sandwiches or snacks. Some good items to always have on hand are things like apples and bananas that you can pair with some peanut butter for a filling snack on the go, protein bars (look for a bar with a lot of protein, not too many calories, some fiber, and limited sugar content. Quest makes amazing ones you can get online or at GNC), nuts, seeds, and trail mix, dried fruits, instant oatmeal, and some whole wheat bread or english muffins.

Sorry this post got so long, I just know where you're coming from and it is a struggle! Just try to make good choices and eat small, healthy items often so you never get too hungry. Also, always carry a water bottle with you and sip on it throughout the day! If you want to go out with friends and drink every now in then, go for it and enjoy the experience! That's the fun of college! Then just make sure you make good nutrition choices the following days and drink plenty of water to re-hydrate! Good luck, you can do it! Message me if you need support or more ideas!
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options

She's 19 so high school was like 8 months ago.
    It'd be one thing if she was 25 like I am or even older.
    But since high school was so recent for her, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

But knowing her height would be helpful

At 20 I was still the same weight I was at 18, and had the body of a beanpole. It wasn't until I was 21/22 that I started to fill out with some curves. Going back to the weight I was at 18 is extremely unrealistic for me and frankly I don't want to. I kind of like having boobs and a butt now.
  • tribbygirl
    Options

I'm five foot even
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Depending on your meal plan, everything may be in MFP to make logging easier. Aramark and Sodexo are both in MFP, except for chef specialty items.

I know ours offers grilled chicken, meatless Mondays, always has vegetarian options and has nutrition info posted as well as water and carbon footprint. A lot of the soups have some good nutrition. There are usually really good veggies with minimal oils on the hot food line as well. It is so hard with all of that tempting food around. :neutral: (FRENCH FRIES!!!)

I don't go to school, I work at one. I eat in the dining hall a couple times a week. I love salads and they will get me tofu if it's not out. I never eat salad at home because all that fresh stuff would go bad before I eat it all.

For snacks, I buy jerky, there are uncured kinds and chicken and turkey can be very healthy with limited salt and sugar. I like Quest bars and protein shakes and string cheese. Greek yogurt. High protein/fiber cereal (sometimes I eat it dry) and unsweetened soy milk. I keep trader joe's hummus around at all times and buy healthy chips with protein and fiber. I also love almond butter and no sugar preserves. On bread. Or right out of the jar. :smiley: Or on an apple (just the almond butter). I have a little micro fridge in my office, so my space at work is limited.

Our dining staff will also do everything they can to custom prepare foods for folks. For: reasons.

But let yourself have a treat on occasion, whatever that is for you. I love the lemon bars. They're TDF! Sigh ... lemon bars ...
  • shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My college uses Sodexo, whose calories are so hard to track even with MFP--there's always like a 100-500 calorie difference between "the same" entries. I feel your pain.

I usually get Steamfresh rice and veggies (which I think are 2 things you're pretty tired of!) and keep them to microwave in-room. Also, low-cal popcorn is a good filler food... If I don't want to overeat the few times I force myself to go to the actual dining hall, I usually get cereal or something similar. Ramen is also really good with Steamfresh broccoli cutlets in it too, just saying...

Really, logging ahead of eating is what helped me. It was WAY too easy to overeat if I didn't prepare myself for what the calorie count would actually be. I've lost 30 lbs this spring semester by tracking calories, so really, thats what it boiled down to for me. Give yourself room to have a few bad days--it's college, after all. Whether from a fun night out or just a really bad day where you ate to feel happy, it happens. Just find healthy foods you like and can afford, and keep them on-hand during the day--even if you have to sneak them out of the dining hall ;)
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Oh those halcyon days of campus food... Not the part of college I miss. Try having a vegetable based soup for one of your meals. Filling, nutritious and low cal as long as there is no cream in it. It can be hard to eat right at school. The late nights, the stress, the beer, no sleep... it all adds up.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about calories, be mindful of alcohol.