Will I gain muscle even If I don't consume protein after lifting weights?

Options
Will I gain muscle even If I don't consume protein after lifting weights? how does a pre-workout drink help?

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Muscle growth comes from applying a stimulus (resistance training) and recovery (resting the muscle so it can rebuild). The general belief of maximizing muscle growth is to take in protein and carbs during a “window” of time after you lift. That said, your body is going to be working on rebuilding muscle for 24 - 72 hours after a lifting session. So, any and all protein you’ve eaten before and for the next day or two after a good session will be there for the rebuild.

It takes the body a while to digest protein, so I’ve always been skeptical of the protein window so I don’t really buy into the pre-workout or post-workout drinks. Feels like a marketing scheme to me.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I also read the protein window is more broscience than anything else.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information, guys.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    For post workout, I do the 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein right after a workout. I really do feel like I recover faster. Could be part mental, but there definitely seems to be some impact, even if smaller than suggested by many. Best thing is to experiment on your own. You will find a routine you like. Even if it is mental, having positive mental reinforcers for both workout and recovery can only be a good thing, right? Just don't OVEREAT!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    you won't gain muscle eating in a deficit unless you are very very new to lifting or obese. So don't worry about the timing of eating protein.
  • danomitex
    danomitex Posts: 21 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Agreed with AllanMisner. Consuming protein immediately after working out really isn't necessary since digestion is such a slow process. I think it's more important to focus on hitting your total required protein intake for the day (rather than the timing).

Also, "pre-workout" drinks aren't necessary either. Just drink coffee if you're feeling sluggish.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    The only difference I have noticed with taking a protein supplement after lifting is that I tend to be much less achy when I do -- and I don't time it I just mix up a scoop of Jarrow's with some almond milk when I remember after working out
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-10-5.pdf

This is a review of the current research on nutrient timing conducted by Alan Aragon and Brad Schoenfeld.

Personally I think that nutrient timing is pretty far down the list of priorities-- it may make a difference to trained athletes but for the average MFP poster it's one of those "majoring in the minors" things.

• ForStMicheal
    ForStMicheal Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    its probably best to consume protein sometime around the time you work out.

but I would say that just getting adequate protein (whatever that is) during the day at anytime would still result in growth (assuming your doing everything else right), but maybe not optimal.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Every time I read a post like this one, I walk away questioning my entire existence.

I always do a post workout protein drink because... that is what I've always done, I guess. It's what people generally say to do. Now I read that it doesn't really matter. I wonder if people will have this stuff all figured out 100% in 100 years so there are no differing opinions anymore. More reps, less reps, more fat/carbs/protein, less fat/carbs/protein, more sets, less sets, more rest, less rest, etc.

I have so many books sitting on my shelf and I doubt any two of them say the same thing but all the authors seem to achieve what I'd like to. Maybe no one is right and no one is wrong.

*head spins*
  • ForStMicheal
    ForStMicheal Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    probably the smartest thing to do is just work a pre and or post workout meal with protein in it into your calorie plan for the day. if for some reason that's to much work or doesn't suit you then fine, but if not, why not?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Guys work their *kitten* off to gain muscle.

Women think they sneeze and can put on 20lbs of pure meat!
  • tjcuipylo
    tjcuipylo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Guys work their *kitten* off to gain muscle.

Women think they sneeze and can put on 20lbs of pure meat!

what?
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    In part it may depend on whether you're lifting fasted or not, but the difference is likely to be small.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Every time I read a post like this one, I walk away questioning my entire existence.

I always do a post workout protein drink because... that is what I've always done, I guess. It's what people generally say to do. Now I read that it doesn't really matter. I wonder if people will have this stuff all figured out 100% in 100 years so there are no differing opinions anymore. More reps, less reps, more fat/carbs/protein, less fat/carbs/protein, more sets, less sets, more rest, less rest, etc.

I have so many books sitting on my shelf and I doubt any two of them say the same thing but all the authors seem to achieve what I'd like to. Maybe no one is right and no one is wrong.

*head spins*

There are many reasons for this:
    1) There is so much genetic variation in people that it is nearly impossible to have a one rule works for everybody.
    2) Studies are often funded by the companies that sell supplements, not independent sources.
    3) Studies are often limited to a very distinct group (e.g., well trained, 20 year old men).
    4) There are so many factors that affect how we progress (nutrition, stimulus, sleep, stress, etc.).

Each person should experiment with different methods and see what they respond to best.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Outside of some crazy corner cases, I would think that to add actual new muscle mass, you would need to eat protein in excess of what your body needs just for maintenance - if for no other reason than it requires adding nitrogen to your body mass, and you're not going to get that from either carbs or fat.
  • Runcakes
    Runcakes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You should - as long as you're consuming enough protein throughout the day based on your individual caloric needs. Like others have mentioned, the "1-2 hour window" for protein intake after you workout isn't necessary.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I think that nutrient timing is pretty far down the list of priorities-- it may make a difference to trained athletes but for the average MFP poster it's one of those "majoring in the minors" things.

Well said. Supplements, powders and such manufactured things are a multibillion dollar industry with little or no major effect for all but the top athletes. Simple shifts in carb/fat/protein balance through regular intake is enough.

• indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Muscle growth comes from applying a stimulus (resistance training) and recovery (resting the muscle so it can rebuild). The general belief of maximizing muscle growth is to take in protein and carbs during a “window” of time after you lift. That said, your body is going to be working on rebuilding muscle for 24 - 72 hours after a lifting session. So, any and all protein you’ve eaten before and for the next day or two after a good session will be there for the rebuild.

It takes the body a while to digest protein, so I’ve always been skeptical of the protein window so I don’t really buy into the pre-workout or post-workout drinks. Feels like a marketing scheme to me.

Its not a marketing scheme--Pure whey isolates get absorbed very quickly into the bloodstream and BCAA's go DIRECTLY into the bloodstream,bypassing the stomach.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options

*head spins*

There are many reasons for this:
    1) There is so much genetic variation in people that it is nearly impossible to have a one rule works for everybody.
    2) Studies are often funded by the companies that sell supplements, not independent sources.
    3) Studies are often limited to a very distinct group (e.g., well trained, 20 year old men).
    4) There are so many factors that affect how we progress (nutrition, stimulus, sleep, stress, etc.).

Each person should experiment with different methods and see what they respond to best.

Thanks. I used to know of a site that ran unbiased studies and released their results online. I *think* it was this one ( examine.com/ ) but it has been forever since I've seen it. It definitely claims to be unbiased, anyway.