Ankle rolling-should I see a orthopedic?

Options
lindssaurus
lindssaurus Posts: 98 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I love running but over the past my left ankle would roll outward and now it's doing it again. It was 10yrs ago I was doing this when I was 172. I lost it and maintained it for a few yrs, no rolling but now I am back to 182lb. I lost the weight running outside and lifting but the fear of it rolling my ankle outward makes me hesitate to run as much as I want. I have high arches, if that helps pointing it out. Even yesterday walking in my home, my ankle rolled, without injury. But running it has happened. Should I see a orthopedic about this? Thank you

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea. Or a sports medicine clinic.
  • jloeffler651
    jloeffler651 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes see someone, you need to strengthen the ankle
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Another thing that would help is to find a running shoe with a wide heel and the outside of the sole wider than the main part of the shoe. Both of my ankles want to roll out but, if the sole is wide enough, my foot is forced to fall correctly when I come down on the edge.
  • jackiereaves
    jackiereaves Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yes u should, I had the same problem but mine occurred after breaking my ankle..u may need to wear a light weight ankle brace while running for a while
  • lindssaurus
    lindssaurus Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Another thing that would help is to find a running shoe with a wide heel and the outside of the sole wider than the main part of the shoe. Both of my ankles want to roll out but, if the sole is wide enough, my foot is forced to fall correctly when I come down on the edge.

Yes I will definitely I have a previous pair of mizuno that is wider in the back but the newer ones are flimsy. The previous pair I didn't have that problem. I will go see someone who is in orthopedics. Thanks!
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    See a physiotherapist, first....at least that is what I would do. They are quick to think about finding an exercise-based solution for you. They will tell you if you should consult further.