Soup... weight or volume?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I'm having soup, a serving is 1 cup (245g). The can says there are two servings, but it weighed 395g total... What do you log, 1.61 serving, or 2? It's tomato soup with veggies/noodles... it's a 40 calories difference.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I go by weight whenever possible
  • danomitex
    danomitex Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The difference in calories in minimal but I would suggest logging the weight to be accurate. The can most likely says "about" 2 servings, not exactly 2 equal servings.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i disagree. i go by volume with soup.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I personally have always done volume with soup, but I don't know if that is right or wrong.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Weight is probably going to be more accurate. Some measuring cups vary in size so it's possible you have a big cup.

That being said, for a 40 cal difference I would probably just go with whichever way is easiest.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Weight. Nutrition labels can be inaccurate. I get stuff all the time that says it has X servings but ends up being less by weight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It was probably a bit under 2 cups for volume, but definitely much lighter... so I have no idea. I'm logging 2 cups just in case I guess.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    If it is something that is mostly liquid like tomato soup, or straight chicken broth, I'd go by volume. However, if it is like most soups, and full of a whole bunch of stuff, I'd go by weight.

I rarely eat soup though.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    if it's offered in grams (for the american versions, because Canada labels anything in cans - including beans - in ml) then I weigh it.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If it says grams, go with the weight. The only times I've eaten soup they've had the serving size in ml instead (Campbell's Tomato...which now I think I might have tonight!)
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I use weight. Amy's Organics soups are often like that. Also got "The Conplete Cookie" the other day and weighed out the entire thing which was larger than the listed (2) serving size(s) and a LOT more calories than it said.