NEW ON HERE : HELP :)

Options
I am new on here.I am a mother of 4 which with every child I put more weight on. My goal is to lose weight, learn to eat healthy & be able to chase after my little guy who is 9 months old (im 35)......it is always challenging to be more energetic when you get older. I have a desk job so I sit all day ( for the last 12 yrs) so it makes it hard to get excercise when all i do is sit. Does any one have any suggestions for just starting out when I am addicted to coca cola? It is very hard for me to stick to diets. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• LauriinSB
    LauriinSB Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Switch to diet soda, at least it's less fattening. I recently broke my years long diet pepsi addiction, I switched to water but add those individual crystal lite packets. Just keep trying, day by day, don't beat yourself up if you slip. You can do it!!!
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    hi there.....you definitely need to start drinking water....there are enough flavor packets out there in the world if you dont want to drink water by itself.....my faves are green peach tea mango and pink lemonade and green tea raspberry....this will help you get your water in.....you will lose alot of water weight at first but that is good...it counts....small steps lead to big results.....i am here to encourage you....good luck to you
  • brea062
    brea062 Posts: 3
    Options
    Water women water. I used to drink about 5 cokes a day! Now I stick to water with the crystal lights packages. Just treat yourself with a coke every once in a while. Good luck !
  • alwaysanangel
    Options
    Thank you for being uplifting :) I sure needed that today.....Im trying my hardest to stay away from soda...but i usually get a headache after not having any :(
  • alwaysanangel
    Options
    hi there.....you definitely need to start drinking water....there are enough flavor packets out there in the world if you dont want to drink water by itself.....my faves are green peach tea mango and pink lemonade and green tea raspberry....this will help you get your water in.....you will lose alot of water weight at first but that is good...it counts....small steps lead to big results.....i am here to encourage you....good luck to you
  • LisaRose54
    LisaRose54 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm new here too. I have some suggestions since you're addicted to coca cola. Try mixing diet coke with regular for a while and see if that helps. That way you will be weaning yourself off the regular cola slowly. You could also try mixing coke with diet sprite like half and half. However, I drink Crystal Lite and iced tea with no sugar added. You get used to it. Now, I don't even like regular cola. Too sweet. Good luck. You can "friend me" if you like. I need to lose 30 pounds, but would be happy with just 10 for now! Wishing you great success -

Lisa
  • JNewell1967
    Options
    I just signed on and have been diligent about tracking my intake and been walking daily and eating considerably more healthy and portions. It has been one week and I lost a few pounds the first few days and now I seem to be not making any ground with lbs coming off!! Any suggestions or advice it would be very welcome.
  • marilynKT
    marilynKT Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    See if you can give up the Coke for one week. Do as LauriinnSB suggested -- grab some water, some Crystal Light, or try vitamin water, just some other liquid -- and next Sunday, if you've been good all week, reward yourself with a small glass. Then do it again next week. And then do some online research about the damage that soda is doing to your body. Here's an interesting link that might help sway at least your mind!

http://waterforlifeusa.com/blog/uncategorized/8-ways-soda-fizzles-your-health/

Best wishes to you in this endeavor!!!
  • jjdicecc
    jjdicecc Posts: 1
    Options
    Welcome! My first piece of advice is to not think of this as a diet but think of this as changing your lifestyle...to a new way of life. I also have children, so my second piece of advice is to make changes for your whole family. Avoid making something separate for yourself. Your whole family will benefit from eating more fruits, vegetables and lean proteins, curbing sweets and drinking more water. Have kids help cook or choose what is served. They may be more likely to try new foods. Plus, make exercise family time (biking, kicking a ball in the backyard, etc.). Small changes will stick. As far as drinking soda, it is hard to go cold turkey and give it up altogether if this is a daily indulgence, so I suggest replacing one can at a time with water or a diet version(although I think you need to keep that to a minimum too...water is best). Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    It's hard but start by cutting down on the number of cokes you drink in a day and replace it with 8 ounces of water. Don't like water? Try the flavor packets like ev1 suggested or try adding lemon, lime or orange slices to ice cold water.

First and foremost diets don't work, changing the way you think and the way you eat will. It's a lifestyle change! Set a specific time each day to work out, make it a priority, and do it. How long of a lunch do you get? Can you walk during that time? If you take your lunch to work, it will be healthier and quicker then you could get a quick walk in.

Good luck, you can do this!
  • fanullona
    fanullona Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    try to drop the soda! if you replace soda with flavored seltzer you'll see pounds drop quickly!! i promise!
    welcome to mfp and good luck!!
  • ceirawillsucceed
    ceirawillsucceed Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    im new too. i used to drink about 2 litres of diet coke a day. i was worried about headaches if i stopped. i did stop and started drinking water and i didnt get any headaches. if you are hydrated you wont get the headaches. good luck. feel free to add me if you like.
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm also a mom of 4 and have the same goals you do. I was sooo addicted to coke..I could seriously drink a 12 pack a day if I let myself....terrible I know..it's the reasons my weight loss attempts in the past have failed. I started out by trying to wean myself off a little at a time, but as I had NO SELF CONTROL in that area, I switched to Diet or Coke Zero. The cherry Coke zero is actually pretty good....and it helps get you off the calorie loaded regular. I made myself drink my 8 glasses of water a day, plus a glass for every coke I had. LOL....now I have started weaning myself off the Zero as well, since I know it can't be a good example for my kids.... It's amazing what our choices do to our kids....we still have the easter candy in the cabinet, and they don't bug for it too often...which is a lot different than 4 months ago and they would beg me constantly for some, b/c I was eating it..LOL....Good luck! I know what you mean about the headaches when you don't have it....it's hard but you can do it!!! Feel free to friend me if you'd like! I haven't figured out to do that yet :P