Heart Rate Increase - Question about logging work hours as e

So my first two days at the gym I got my heart rate up to 150 bpm which, as it turns out, wasn't a good idea since I'd been pretty much sedentary before that (have a retail job but let's face it, running around a store does not increase one's heart rate significantly).

After some research I focused on getting my heart rate to 134-140 during the 30 minute cycles and managed this quite well. That first week I felt FANTASTIC.

Then I got the flu and working out just made me feel a hundred times worse but I pushed through it but maintained a heart rate of 120 because anything more would make me dizzy. BLEH FLU. Weeks two and three of working out were BLAH and hard because of being ill and exhausted.

I just started week four today and kept my heart rate at 150 throughout. I did not crash after!!! And in fact have been feeling pretty darn good today!

So I'm pretty proud of myself.

I begin the weights training on Weds so I'm excited about that. It's fun to get my heart rate up (i see it as a challenge - haha) but with weight training I'm sure my muscles will be all burny which will be cool and a constant reminder of all my hard work! :happy:

NOW! My question is this. For people who work retail (standing for four hours straight approximately for me :), eight hours on Saturday ) should we be logging our work hours as exercise calories???

I've been told that we can burn anywhere from up to 200-260 calories per hour just from standing around. Is this true? Anybody know?

Any thoughts on this one guys? :huh:

Replies

• nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    So my first two days at the gym I got my heart rate up to 150 bpm which, as it turns out, wasn't a good idea since I'd been pretty much sedentary before that (have a retail job but let's face it, running around a store does not increase one's heart rate significantly).

After some research I focused on getting my heart rate to 134-140 during the 30 minute cycles and managed this quite well. That first week I felt FANTASTIC.

Then I got the flu and working out just made me feel a hundred times worse but I pushed through it but maintained a heart rate of 120 because anything more would make me dizzy. BLEH FLU. Weeks two and three of working out were BLAH and hard because of being ill and exhausted.

I just started week four today and kept my heart rate at 150 throughout. I did not crash after!!! And in fact have been feeling pretty darn good today!

So I'm pretty proud of myself.

I begin the weights training on Weds so I'm excited about that. It's fun to get my heart rate up (i see it as a challenge - haha) but with weight training I'm sure my muscles will be all burny which will be cool and a constant reminder of all my hard work! :happy:

NOW! My question is this. For people who work retail (standing for four hours straight approximately for me :), eight hours on Saturday ) should we be logging our work hours as exercise calories???

I've been told that we can burn anywhere from up to 200-260 calories per hour just from standing around. Is this true? Anybody know?

Any thoughts on this one guys? :huh:
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    You do burn more calories while standing than while sitting... but those don't really count as a workout. Instead, you just consider that as part of your normal daily activity level.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    I agree. This should be accounted for under "light activity" under your fitness/nutrition profile. Like don't put it under exercise.