Time to shake up my workout

Options
I have been on this health journey for nearly 6 weeks. I've been logging and working out consistently, and I lost 9.2 lbs my first month! Now I'm in a little plateau, but even though the scale hasn't moved this week, I'm continuing to lose inches. This week I bought a food scale and began measuring my food, which I think will help.

I am working out 5 days a week, at the gym. My typical work out schedule is: weight machines 20 min followed by 30-45 minutes of cardio on Mon/Wed/Fri and 60 minutes of cardio on Tue/Thurs. I keep upping the reps or weight on the weights and adding intensity to my cardio. My cardio is the elliptical, followed by treadmill or bike.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can mix it up a little? One day over this past weekend, instead of the gym I did a TurboFire DVD, but working out at the gym is much more time efficient since I have younger kids.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If you are losing inches, you are not plateauing. Also, plateaus last a LOT longer than a week. Come back after three months of no weight or inch change, then we'll talk. Keep doing what you're doing, obviously it's working.

But if you want to something new, switch to free weights over the machines. They won't do you any real favors long term.
  • stevesgirl824
    stevesgirl824 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you are losing inches, you are not plateauing. Also, plateaus last a LOT longer than a week. Come back after three months of no weight or inch change, then we'll talk. Keep doing what you're doing, obviously it's working.

But if you want to something new, switch to free weights over the machines. They won't do you any real favors long term.
    Perhaps, I'm being hard on myself. Thanks for the advice!
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Have you tried HIIT on the treadmill or intervals? It's what helped me. I walk one min at 3.5 and run for 2. My run goes up from 6.5-7.0 each time going up slightly. So first run 6.5, walk, 6.6, walk, 6.7, and so on.
  • stevesgirl824
    stevesgirl824 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    tzarba wrote: »
    Have you tried HIIT on the treadmill or intervals? It's what helped me. I walk one min at 3.5 and run for 2. My run goes up from 6.5-7.0 each time going up slightly. So first run 6.5, walk, 6.6, walk, 6.7, and so on.

I've only done intervals on the elliptical, I will now also try it on the treadmill. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options

Perhaps, I'm being hard on myself. Thanks for the advice!

"Perhaps not." Awesomeness is not created by doing the same things every day. Think outside your box, create a Niche, set goals to conquer. Kick something, do some extraordinary, It's time to step up and try something crazy.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything crazy, and don't kick anything. ;)
    I agree about freeweights. Try to follow a pro's program, not your own. For cardio, do whatever you enjoy.