Possibly the strangest question ever but...Bicycle crunches making me need to pee??

Options
Hey Everybody

So I've recently started to incorporate some bicycle crunches (not the ones where you bring your elbows up, just where you keep your shoulders off the ground, but move your legs up and down as if riding a bike!) to target the lower abs. I was fine the first few weeks - but now when I do them, after about 10 reps I feel like im pressing on my own bladder or something! I have to stop because I need to pee! Am I doing something wrong, or has anyone ever had this problem?Is it possible that maybe my muscles have gotten bigger and are now pressing down on my bladder - will this stop? Help! Any advice or comments will be greatly appreciated!

Best Wishes
Emma

Replies

• Elkroawolfan
    Options
    Do you actually need to pee or is it feeling like you the need?
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Have you tried going to pee and then continuing?
  • Bellchick91
    Bellchick91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have tried peeing and going back but it still happens! And I think its a strong feeling but I literally have to stop because it seriously makes me need to pee! It's actually quite annoying!
  • teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Did you see today's myfitnesspal blog post? blog.myfitnesspal.com/a-different-way-to-work-your-core/

You might have some pelvic muscle weakness, intense abdominal exercises like bicycles, crunches and planks can make symptoms worse (like constantly feeling like you need to pee). High impact exercises like jumping jacks and running can also make it worse.

Maybe try some less intense ab workouts for awhile and work on your pelvic floor strength and see if it improves. It might be worth talking to your doctor about.
  • Bellchick91
    Bellchick91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks for the link - ill chat to my personal trainer about it tomorrow. I dont get the need to pee with ANY other exercise so I think maybe it's a technique thing..
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Pelvic floor weakness is super common among women...particularly if you had children. There is physio that can help with that
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've had problems with bench dips and weighted side bends. Other hard exertion too, like working on chin ups gives me a problem. It's not like I never do kegels I do, but not every day. I've heard many women have to wear a small pad when they work out, so you are not alone.