Staying on track when you have mental health issues / nighttime snacking

Options
Ive been diagnosed with many issues since being honorably medically diacharged from the military .Everything was hurry up and eat in 5 minutes .As a child i had some issues and was food retricted so i hid food and would binge at night ,also when i am low on groceries i tend to eat more . So,being i have been diagnosed bipolar i have ups and downs and so its hard to stay on track and then at night sometimes i have the urge to binge but am doing better .Anyone else have this issue or anything similar that could help me ? I'm trying harder and don't wanna give up plus If i dont get this under control i may have more health issues added .Any help or motivation would be great !Ive come a long way and me just coming out of my house not scared is crazy good ! So,hoping for more help and overcoming more obstacles !

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi. I am also bipolar. It frustrates me sometimes as well. What I have done is create a schedule for eating and not deviate from it.

If you'd like feel free to add me as friend
  • kparks770
    kparks770 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much !!!
  • LilyOfTheValley008
    LilyOfTheValley008 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I suffer from pretty severe anxiety and used to be very unstable with my eating habits (alternating between eating very little or binging until I felt sick despite not being hungry).
    What helped me was acknowledging the fact that I was using food to distract myself from my other issues, and figuring out a healthier coping mechanism instead.
    I think first off, organising and pre-logging meals helps a lot. Also, if you're constantly binging at the same time of day I would definitely recommend finding a new activity to do then to replace the habit.
    Good luck, and just know you're DEFINITELY not alone with this!
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    RaggedyAnnazon Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hello there!
    I have Bipolar type 2 with rapid cycling, mixed episodes and and moderately presenting Anxiety disorder. PLUS scoliosis from L1-5 plus the next one up and *currently this is not diagnosed but I'm about 110% positive I have it) hyposomnia.
    I also go to school and have a two year old whose daddy passed away from suicide when she was 7 months old.
    I totally get what it's like to have personal and mental issues affect your health and nutrition goals. I'm a crazed binge eater, I've gotten a good portion of it under control, as a lot of it was emotional eating. But I still have days where all of a sudden I'm downing 6 donuts that came from nowhere and eating enormous amounts of comfort food.

The biggest thing that helps me is I don't leave food I binge on in the house. If I want cookies THAT bad. I'm either going to go out and buy some or make some myself. Which both take a lot more effort than just opening up the package and chowing down. I also try to keep myself occupied (for me, this sadly means I'm on the computer a LOT). Because otherwise I'll get bored and eat.
    When I'm emotionally upset I avoid food until I feel calmer. And when I'm in my depressive states I have food on hand that doesn't take much to make. (I have Post good morning waffle crunch cereal that I'll set myself up with.) Finding other ways to unwind at night helps too. Netflix or reading works well for me because I don't want to get up and pause the show/book or miss something from the show while I'm up.
    The biggest help really was removing the foods I binge on easily. It irritates me a lot of days, because then I have to MAKE something when I'm hungry, but it's kept the bingeing at bay.
    There are days I still let myself do it. If I've been craving giant sugar cookies for three weeks and I have the money and means I'll go buy myself 8 of them and have at it. It's about balance.
    Finding the right medication helps wonders too, as does therapy. Being ex-military, I would defiently make sure you're seeing someone regularly.
    You can do it! You're not alone!
  • amfotf
    amfotf Posts: 1
    Options
    This is an awesome topic ladies. I can relate to everything that I have read, My mental health definitely affects my eating, and my eating affects my mental health. It is a vicious cycle. How it has looked over the years is that it has always been in extremes, either I have been barely eating and exercising like crazy, or I have been binge eating and barely ever leaving the house I am grateful that after years of work I have balance now, but I have to work very hard on it each day. Meditation, yoga, planning my meals, meal prep, are some of the things that help ... and I do go back to old behaviors at times. Also being aware and in acceptance of the fact that I have a brain that is wired to want to use food to self medicate. Knowing this, I can take action before it happens, because sometimes it can happen super fast. When I do get off track and overeat or binge, I have learned that when I beat myself up over it, it makes me feel worse, which leads me to want to eat.

The reason I logged on so early this morning is that I actually had a binge yesterday on peanut butter. I realized when I woke up that it had to do with some fears I had about my mom being sick. Instead of feeling my feelings yesterday, I ate over them. And at that time it was soothing, but afterwards, I felt sick and I was left with the same feelings, the same anxieties and fears and the same racing thoughts. Grateful to have a place where I can share what I am going through. Thanks for reading all this.