I have a question for other women out there

Options
Could losing weight throw off your period? Just this week I have lost 2.4 pounds. I'm curious if losing weight will change my period or make it irratic.

Replies

• helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hi

Ive lost 8lb so far and havent noticed any changes. Sorry cant reallu help.x
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    It definitely CAN but that doesnt mean it will for everyone :)
  • sdirbder
    sdirbder Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I think it depends how fast you are losing. A few years ago I lost like 30 pounds in 1 1/2 months and it threw everything off. But I was excercising alot.
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    yes it can...any change in the body, be it exercise, stress, or loss of weight can throw it off and make it irregular or sporadic....i know from experience.....
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    it just depends on the woman. i lost nothing and my period was 14 days late because i changed my routine.
  • StaceyDono
    StaceyDono Posts: 21
    Options
    My period so out of whack from being OVER weight! The more I increase my over all wellness, the more normal it becomes. Menstruation is a funny thing... Any big changes, or even stress can change the flow, duration, or timing of menstruation.
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    great job on the wt. loss btw
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    For me the answer is YES. It made my period of cycle a little bit and last month made it go ALOT longer. I had it for about 10 days.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    You will skip your period (or make it erratic) if you lose weight too quickly. It's your body's way of saying, "Uhm, I can't let you have a baby because you won't be able to support it."

As long as you lose weight healthily and at a good, steady rate - You should be fine. :) But every body is different.

EDIT: Support it, as in nutritionally. :P
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    mine does....some months i dont have one..others the dates are very screwy...start the 10th one month, then the 23rd the next...so for me it does mess them up!
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    Mine hasn't been thrown off yet, but I have read that if you reduce your calorie intake TOO much that it can be thrown off. Maybe introduce some calories back in and then taper off slowly.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Yes it def can! I can tell you that between my birthcontrol pill and working out/losing weight, it has caused my period to either be absent or very very light. According to my doc thats normal.. so i wouldn't worry about it too much if it happens.
  • mirna_ayala0428
    mirna_ayala0428 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My has moved by a couple of days but I don't know if it's due to the weight loss.
  • Shantre
    Shantre Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 35 lbs. I am 32 and my period used to last for 3 days and I never had cramps. Now they last longer and I have really bad cramps.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    It did for me. I was 4 days late this month!
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys,

I am on birth control but since I changed my routine, my period got really erratic. I try to get all of my vitamins in me every day though. I dropped my calories from 2000ish calories to 1710 calories. I recalculate my calories periodically to make sure I keep losing weight.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Could losing weight throw off your period? Just this week I have lost 2.4 pounds. I'm curious if losing weight will change my period or make it irratic.

It can change your cycle, but you'd have to lose a fairly significant amount of weight and fairly rapidly in order to mess it up. Or, you'd have to have greatly reduced your caloric intake. So if you're one of those people who doesn't eat their exercise calories, that might be enough to change your cycle.

However, better eating habits (less sodium, fewer simple carbs, fewer processed foods, etc.) can make a difference in PMS symptoms and water weight gain much more quickly. You may find yourself feeling better around that time simply because you've consistently eaten more healthfully.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    It definitely can throw them off. For me, it never changed my period much, no matter how fast or how much weight I lost. It was always very regular, regardless. But I know for many women, any change in routine, be it food, exercise, or even sleep patterns, can change it.
  • period12
    Options
    Hi, am a 13 year old virl and I have a period.I saw this post.and yes it can change a period SOMETIMES. it doesnt happen to everyone bt you should be prepared..this week I was 130 pounds and I lost 12 pounds..it changed my period horribly, but again it depends