Suggestions for Exercising with a young one around

Options
Right now my little man is 15.5 months old, now normally we just go for walks, but the weather is disgusting lately so not exactly a desirable choice.
I've been trying to do some exercises that I have for our Wii, bought some Wii workout games, but I can't seem to go longer then 10 mins, before my little guy starts grabbing at my feet, walking all over the Wii board or grabbing controllers and turning things off. I'm just wondering if anyone with little ones out there have suggestions for getting a semi decent workout in every day without too much interruption. I thought about waiting until he naps, but he goes down at around 1pm, and I like to be showered and ready for the day by noon.

Thank you for any help offered!

Replies

• getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    :wink: I had that trouble for a while too.... eighter stick to short workouts or have him do it too! Make a game of "coping" mommy
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    When I was a SAHM I either did it when she napped, or early AM before she woke (usually around 5, she's an early riser :frown: ). There's no way I could exercise with DD underfoot either, LOL, so I feel your pain.
  • Shannoncore
    Shannoncore Posts: 135
    Options
    gget up early before he wakes and work out.
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    Do you have Comcast OnDemand? There are 10 minute workouts under the sports and fitness page. They do a good job at getting the trouble spots and you aren't working out for an hour
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    right now I'm doing 30 day shred. I also add cardio as well. I do 30DS then run 2 miles, or do 25 min on elliptical or stair machine. I do all this while he naps. That is the key with a little one. Mine is 19 months, and when he goes down, I start working out so I have time for a good sweat and shower!!
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Get him involved with your exercises. He is old enough to stand and mimmick and this will give him a good start to a healthy life! Also when I was a mother of young daughters I would use them as exercise props. I would put them on my legs and do leg lifts and lift them like weights. Get a dance dvd and dance with the kids too. They love that.
  • hrigsby
    hrigsby Posts: 31
    Options
    My son is the same age. I too can't workout at home without him wanting to be held. I walk (but like you said weather is bad), ride a bike or I go to the gym. The gym has a daycare, so I drop him off and at least get in 1 hour of exercise when I go. Otherwise, I would wait for the nap and just shower afterward. Good luck :-)
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I have no bright ideas but I'd like to hear some for working out at home. Right now we go to a gym with a daycare center in it, its the only way I've been able to work out at all. I think my daughter (1 1/2 yrs) likes going into the daycare now (she used to pitch such a fit) because she gets to hang out with other kids and the ladies in there don't mind holding her.
  • jacque1109
    jacque1109 Posts: 129
    Options
    Yeah... my daughter is 18 months and there's no way I can do the WII board around her... I just wait until she naps OR goes to bed... OR go to gym when my hubby gets home.
  • kriots
    kriots Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    my little one was the same. I used to pick her up while lying on my back and bench....her lol their like what 12 15 pounds? try doing a few reps of course making silly faces. It will be fun for both of you. put your child in a play pin with some toys and work out right there...
  • BrieGoorts
    BrieGoorts Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yea I bought this Wii fit game that's specifically for 10 min workouts, I'm hoping the weather gets better and I can start walking more again. My little guy wakes up anywhere between 7-8, so waking up early for a workout wouldn't be a bad idea. Thank you for the suggestions! :)
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    My little guy is now 3 years old. The only thing that works for me is getting it done before he wakes up for the day. Otherwise, it is a constant battle, trying not to step on him, trying to keep him busy, not feeling guilty because I'm not focusing on him, and getting frustrated because I want to exercise.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to have baby #4 and I'm planning on 20 minute workouts to do while #4 and #3 nap until I can get back to the gym. I will do one while they nap and then another in the evening when they sleep. If that doesn't work out, I'll get up early to get a workout in. Hopefully that will work out.
  • retromomof2
    retromomof2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am a SAHM of two busy boys (they are 4 and 7 now) when they were younger and I had to do workouts, it was usually during nap time or I would put them in their pack and play with some books, toys and let them have quiet time with mommy in the room. If this is just during bad weather I don't see any harm. If it bothers you perhaps doing it at night after bed time is a better option. If you were to get a little something in it would be more than nothing.

Best of luck to you.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Mine is 13 months. There is no way to exercise with her around. I try to get in time during naps, but that doesn't always work with my schedule. Waking up before her is just too damn early. So --- my only choice is at 8 or 9 pm, after she has gone to bed. It works for me (well....unless I am exhausted from the day).
  • beardofdarwin
    beardofdarwin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I put my 15 month old in her high chair with snacks and work on my arms with a resistance band and do lunges while we sing to each other. She really likes to eat though, and can sit in her chair eating for a good hour. When the high chair fails, I roll out my old yoga mat beside mine and we do poses and plank push ups. She likes to copy and has a pretty decent downward and upward dog!
  • beardofdarwin
    beardofdarwin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I put my 15 month old in her high chair with snacks and work on my arms with a resistance band and do lunges while we sing to each other. She really likes to eat though, and can sit in her chair eating for a good hour. When the high chair fails, I roll out my old yoga mat beside mine and we do poses and plank push ups. She likes to copy and has a pretty decent downward and upward dog!
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the early morning or nap is probably your best bet. Will he settle in with a movie or TV show? I have a 6 month old and a 2.5 yr old (and a 6 yr old) and my son will watch a show while I workout and the baby is sleeping. I hate "plugging him in", but it works. I'm going to try doing the early morning thing again, it's just hard because I'm tired after getting up 1-2x a night to feed the bub....life as a mommy though :smile: wouldn't give it up for anything!
  • aliakat
    aliakat Posts: 16
    Options
    My son loves working out with me -- he is the weight :) Together, we do sit ups and leg lifts (lay on my back, place him on my ankles and either extend my legs and lift them from the hip, or bend my knees and lift from the knee -- for the later, my son will often ride on my feet). This works awesome because it also forces my core muscles to balance, he stays entertained, and I get a good workout! :D
  • amandae79
    amandae79 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have an almost 10 month old. I get up early and workout. Lastnight i needed to burn a few more calories, so i did wii fit (the aerobic step), while holding my 20 pound baby. She loved it, wore me out!