Weight loss and training

Options
Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advise.
I am in training for a Spartan race in June - and realised that as well as increasing fitness and strength - I needed to loose about 10kgs... (i'm 6'5" and my start weight was 104kgs).
After 2 Months of training and eating very strictly (2050 cal per day) I am only down to 101.3.
I hit my protein goal of about 150 every day and work out 3-4 times a week with Kettlebells, boxing and on trim trails.
However - I just cannot get steady weight loss, my original plan was to cut in March and then stabilize the calories in April, May - but my goal was 95kgs by June, so that is out.
Last point - if I train very hard for over an hour i'll add about 250-500 cal into my diet (I used to wear a heart rate monitor and this is well below my normal burn), but for a normal workout, I don't eat back.
Does anyone have any ideas or help....
Thanks

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh everything on scales?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing then the sum total of your consumption reduction and your exercise is not placing you at a sufficient deficit to have you losing weight at the rate you desire. the cause of this will be you are eating more than you think, hence toad asking you about scales and if you are accurately measuring/ logging (many people do not) or you are overestimating what you burn. You have not got these fundamentals right. Sort it out and you will lose over time.
  • trismantis
    trismantis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, I weigh everything. To the point it drives my wife mad when I am cooking a meal.
    I understand the concept of burn more than you eat = loose weight
    But, I suppose I am asking whether I should eat back burnt calories or try a leaner diet....
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    In a way you arent understanding. If you arent losing at your desired rate then you have the option of eating less or burning more. A so called leaner diet wont affect your weight loss, its calories that matter.

If you are 100% sure on the accuracy of your weighing, then its either because your consumption level is set too high or your burns are being overestimated and overcompensated for. Make a change and monitor the results.

If eating only 50% of what you are regarding as burned calories isnt working, then reduce it to 25%. You also dont have much to lose, so you will need to be patient as it gets harder the close you get to target. You arent that far behind an ideal weight loss of .5lb a week. A bit of tweaking and youll be fine.
  • trismantis
    trismantis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    999tigger - great advise - thanks.
    I need to step up my training & go for 5-6 days a week now anyway..so I am sure if I stay on a 2000 cal restriction... it will happen.
  • johnfitnessmatch
    Options
    For that you can hire personal trainer who will train you and will decide your food. Visit him regularly until your goal is not reached. Follow him or her strictly will be beneficial to you.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I feel sorry for your wife. Since you are eating more when you exercise, there's no harm in reducing your normal calorie intake. Considering the number of calories you are eating, a loss of 2.6 kg in two months is about what I would expect. My height and weight is about the same as yours and I've been losing more, but only because I've been eating less.