Waking up hungry in the middle of the night and needing to eat..

Options
I feel embarrassed for posting this.

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and I am really hungry. I can be awake for 2 hours tossing and turning and I won't be able to sleep until I eat something. I usually go for 2 weetbix with milk, or yogurt. I don't eat a lot (sometimes I have in the past, but it would probably be no more than 500 cals in muesli). Sometimes I try and fight it until I've been up long enough that I'm over it and give in. Sometimes I wake up, know that I'm hungry and just eat something so I can fall back asleep soon.

It's obviously impacting me.
I've done some reading and to clarify: it's not out of anxiety or depression. It's out of hunger. I am on antidepressants and anti-psychotics (for sleep).

It usually happens when I'm in a calorie deficit, or have trained that afternoon. And I'm never in a HUGE deficit anyway. Or it's because I didn't eat a night snack.

It's been going on and off for a couple of years now.

Anyone had similar experiences and worked out how to manage it? Is it really bad to eat in the middle of the night anyway?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    This is more about timing then it is about food.
    Can you train earlier in the day? For some people, late in the day exercise interferes with their sleep. If having a snack before you go to bed helps then do that. Have you played around with the times you take the medications?
    It is perfectly fine to eat in the middle of the night -- as long as it does not disturb your sleep.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I have the same, especially when I've eaten a light dinner. It happened last night- I had 2 oatcakes with some almond butter, which was just enough to satisfy me without breaking the bank, calorie wise. I find that I can't sleep until I've eaten something too- it's best just to realise that sooner and get something to eat than fight it and lose more sleep. It's not impacted my weight loss so far.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I feel embarrassed for posting this.

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and I am really hungry. I can be awake for 2 hours tossing and turning and I won't be able to sleep until I eat something. I usually go for 2 weetbix with milk, or yogurt. I don't eat a lot (sometimes I have in the past, but it would probably be no more than 500 cals in muesli). Sometimes I try and fight it until I've been up long enough that I'm over it and give in. Sometimes I wake up, know that I'm hungry and just eat something so I can fall back asleep soon.

It's obviously impacting me.
    I've done some reading and to clarify: it's not out of anxiety or depression. It's out of hunger. I am on antidepressants and anti-psychotics (for sleep).

It usually happens when I'm in a calorie deficit, or have trained that afternoon. And I'm never in a HUGE deficit anyway. Or it's because I didn't eat a night snack.

It's been going on and off for a couple of years now.

Anyone had similar experiences and worked out how to manage it? Is it really bad to eat in the middle of the night anyway?

What are your stats? How large is your deficit?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Try saving some calories for a snack before bed, and make sure that it includes some healthy fat. Nuts, nut butter, avocado or a sliced tomato with olive oil and balsamic would be good. Lately I've taken 4 slices of salami and topped them with tomato slices, mozzarella pearls and a drizzle of balsamic and evoo, topped with a small basil leaf. It's really delicious and very pretty for around 150 calories. I put it on a nice plate and sit down and eat it slowly to make it feel as though it counts, which actually helps a lot with satiety.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I used to do this. I realized that I couldn't really predict when it would happen so I made an entry space in my diary for mid night snack.

Once I did that and began logging it I realized I was eating quite a bit at night. I then chose a reasonable snack that I was allowed to have if I woke up and wanted it. It was 1tbs of peanutbutter in a celery stick and 4 oz of milk.

I logged this every day and planned the rest of my day with this snack included. If I didn't wake up I could eat it in the morning or just count it as an extra 200cal towards my deficit. If I did wake up and eat it it was accounted for so all was good.

I don't know why I stopped needing it...
  • cathychyeah
    cathychyeah Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had this last night! Ive recently changed my calorie goal and it does mean I am more hungry than normal. Ive spaced out my food well however woke up at 2am stomachs growling and not being able to sleep for an hour because of it
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Have you tried drinking? I leave water on my night table as I wake up thirsty!
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I used to have a casein protein shake and a piece of whole wheat jelly toast before bed when I was eating at a large calorie deficit.

Anything slow digesting will help.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Exactly the same thing happens to me whenever i'm in a bigger than usual deficit or when i work out and eat the same. You probably noticed that it doesn't happen when you've had slightly more to eat. So there's your answer :)
    Eat a bigger night time snack, apple and yoghurt for example, and please make sure you ate enough during the day.
    Oh and meal timing and when you work out doesn't matter. I would know.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Too much medication, obviously not working.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Too much medication, obviously not working.

Your comment is less than insightful and wrong. I hope you aren't actually a nurse as your username implies. Obviously the medication is enough and working, as prescribed by someone more informative than you.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    To everyone else, thank you. I've been making an effort to eat something even if I'm not hungry - to avoid waking up. Will have to keep doing this and also be more aware of when I am training and not being in a too big of deficit.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I have a bedtime snack. Tonight it was 2 pears, a protein shake and a mug of lo calorie hot chocolate.
  • LizBelle2015
    LizBelle2015 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I take meds that require 350 calories at night. I can't fall asleep till I eat. I usually fast in the day and at night wake up 3/4 times for a plant based shake, or some type of protein. I went from 195 to 168. I'm in a plateau though. Good luck.