Its a no go

Options
Constipation: I cant go. Maybe once a week. I have tried increasing fiber, I already drink around 3L of water a day, and I get physical exercise. I dont want to take laxatives, they only work in the short term. This is bad! Any advice?

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    If you don't normally use coconut oil, 2-4 tablespoons will fix it. Very quickly.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    See a doctor.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    What's your fat intake like? If I go low fat, I don't... go. At all.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    See a doctor.

This ^^^
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Dr. Schulze Formula 1. It might take 1 for two days, but it works :)
  • MERRYMONKEY512
    MERRYMONKEY512 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What's your fat intake like? If I go low fat, I don't... go. At all.

• MERRYMONKEY512
    Options
    Its usually pretty high...average 30-33%
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You can try drinking more fluids and eating more fiber. There are also pills on the market to treat constipation. But if that isn't working, it may be something more serious.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    magnesium citrate.
  • Ainesilver
    Ainesilver Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Prunes. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Eat less dairy products.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Are you on any medication which may effect it? I know certain painkillers can give me constipation if I have too many. That, and eating crap (although it sounds like you are not one of those people!). Otherwise, aside from what everyone else has suggested, I wouldn't know what to suggest (squats maybe? Lol).

But I hope you get it sorted because it is NOT a pleasant feeling!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Sometimes (and in my case) increasing fiber makes this worse.. Drinking more water will not necessarily make you go either.

When I stopped all caffeine this happened to me. I hate to say this because I am not a promoter of caffeine, but caffeine is top of my food chain (and I just need a small amount per day).. Just a thought..
  • MERRYMONKEY512
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Sometimes (and in my case) increasing fiber makes this worse.. Drinking more water will not necessarily make you go either.

When I stopped all caffeine this happened to me. I hate to say this because I am not a promoter of caffeine, but caffeine is top of my food chain (and I just need a small amount per day).. Just a thought..

• NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Yes, caffeine and cigarettes.....not ones I would recommend to anyone else, but they definitely help me :p
  • pope705
    pope705 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    magnesium citrate.

This!!! I tried Natural Calm, and followed the directions on the bottle. Within 30 minutes I was at the bathroom, and was cleaned out by morning. I wouldn't recommend taking both tsp at once, like the bottle says. Start with 1 tsp, and then maybe take another one an hour or two later. It also helps you sleep.
  • MERRYMONKEY512
    Options
    LOL I know...yes I am a coffee drinker and used to be after my first cup(or first couple sips) I was off to the john like clockwork, now nothing. Something I wonder, up until a few months ago I was a fairly heavy boozer, which seemed to make me go, um well, too much. When I quit drinking is when this issue started. Maybe my body is still adjusting...
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    You could try Miralax - it is not like traditional stimulant laxatives and is not dangerous or habit-forming like a stimulant laxative. It draws additional water to your colon to soften, loosen, and stimulate a movement. It was recommended for m 13yo when he was badly constipated and I expressed the same concerns about using a laxative, this is what I was told (and that it is used in pediatric patients frequently as well)
  • wathjo1
    wathjo1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Depending on the types of fiber I ingest, it can actually cause constipation with me. If you're consuming a ton of vegetables, maybe make sure they're cooked at least a little easier so the body can digest better? That's what i've learned over time...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    go get some senokot or metamucil....
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    pope705 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    magnesium citrate.

This!!! I tried Natural Calm, and followed the directions on the bottle. Within 30 minutes I was at the bathroom, and was cleaned out by morning. ... It also helps you sleep.

This seems like a bad combination. ;)