Out of control........................

Options
Okay so I have been doing this a couple of weeks now....usually I do really good during the week but the weekends get shot all to hell. Well, here it is Monday; my coworker (that I share an office with) brought in like a 10lb bag of candy! I mean holy **** balls (as my friend says)! I am out of control today and my full meter seems to be broken. I want it all and seem to have no control whats so ever. To be honest I know this really has nothing to do with food; it has to do with an empty filling inside that I try to feel with food. OMG I wish I could escape and hide under the covers today =(

Replies

• Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    People will probably tell you not to touch it. I say try to eat the pieces as slowly as possible. I can make those bite size snickers last at least 3 bites.
  • tidwelljw
    tidwelljw Posts: 146
    Options
    These days are going to come. Everyone that makes a serious commitment to living a healthy lifestyle is going to be faced with the same feelings. You just have to push through and tell yourself that your will to be better is stronger than the desire to have a few snacks!!
  • magpie8402
    magpie8402 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Go out and pick up a healthier snack, so when the urge to eat hits you, you have a better option available. I know they are high calories, but almonds might help.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
  • ajostraat
    ajostraat Posts: 101
    Options
    I had read this a long time ago, but there was a study published that found keeping a sweet scent around (like vanilla, cinnamon, fruit...) will actually help curb your appetite and cravings.
  • dfunk06
    dfunk06 Posts: 56
    Options
    My mom made Turtle Cheese Ball yesterday...and our family friend made a homemade (he's a pastry chef) Triple Choc Gnosh Cake. I understand EXACTLY what you. Just try to stay strong. Have a piece of candy. But then (get up) and go walk to get a glass of water. I've heard that if we quickly drink a glass of water that tells our stomachs to slow down because we are nearly full. I have tried this in the past and it seems to help. Oh and Baskin Robins (ice cream) makes Sugar Free hard candy that is to die for! This often helps me deny other desserts and whatnot.

As for today, relax. Take a deep breath. You can get through today without killing your progress. Just be sure and have a yummy nutrient and protein packed lunch :)
  • TNelly
    TNelly Posts: 16
    Options
    That is a great idea Hernandez... By posting on here about this it is bothering you. Quit telling yourself you cant and find a way to make it work. Also let people know about your journey. That wont stop all temptation but at least it might more people aware of it and thus maybe kinder by the way of not flaunting there weaknesses too...
  • reba971
    reba971 Posts: 80
    Options
    Move that candy...far away at least far enough so that you have to get up to get some, then when you are walking over to it, make yourself think about it. Do you really want to get up?
  • rundgrenfan
    rundgrenfan Posts: 211
    Options
    Good luck, I think we have all been there. You have made a big breakthrough by realizing it's not about how yummy the food is. My problem is I seem to realize that AFTER I've eaten the whole bag of something!
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Put the candy in a drawer out of your sight. That way, you're less tempted to just continue the mindless elbow bending.
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I am all for indulging. I love candy, but I much prefer dark chocolate! I am able to avoid temptation because I have small delcious dark chocolate at home. I have one piece when I have a hankering. Its my naughty treat.

Have you looked up the calories for that candy? Maybe look it up and equate it to the work out you would need to do to burn it, that may kill the craving.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that a lot of the bite size candies have just as much calories and/or sugar than a scoop or two of ice cream (depending on the brand)

So now, when I see that bite size candy...I think to myself "I'd rather have the ice cream and make it worthwhile" And since I don't have ice cream on hand...I end up talking myself out of it.

You just have to find whatever mind "trick" you can pull on yourself to say it really isn't worth it.

Good luck! :drinker:
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    Something that helps me when I am having those days is to write out what I am feeling in regards to food, but also in other things. Am I stressed? Am I sad? What emotion am I trying to bury under food? I have buried them for so long it is really hard to figure out what is really going on, but writing helps me. I even do it at work. I just open a blank word doc and go at it. I am sure it won't work for everyone, but it might be worth a shot :)
  • teetees40
    teetees40 Posts: 30
    Options
    I agree - we've all been there! Stay strong...I guess my thoughts lately have been, "Is this worth having to be on the elliptical for 30 min?" It kind of puts it into perspective for me! :) You can do it!