Exercise

Options
I need some exercise advice. I don't have a gym membership, other then walking or running what are other ways I can exercise without going to the gym?

Replies

• kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    What exercise do you like to do?There are thousands of videos on you tube.

You can swim, skip, body weight strength, kick box, Pilates, golf, dance, netball, hockey, the list is endless.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I do dvds at home all the time. Look at your local library. Also, there are many free videos on youtube.
  • Saltfae
    Saltfae Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Pushups, situps, burpees, squats, lunges, deadlifts(with jugs of liquid like milk of water), The list is endless
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Piggybacking on what the previous poster said, exercise DVDs or Youtube videos. There are many out there to choose from that are affordable. Jennifer Nicole Lee has a series of free videos on Youtube. There are also websites like Daily Burn that offer subscriptions services, so take the opportunity to use any free trial offers.

Personally, I like the Beachbody videos. What I like about them is that they give you a long enough trial period to really tell if you'll like the video. If you don't, just return it and get your money back. (I'm not a coach either!)

Good luck! The important thing is to just get off the couch.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I need some exercise advice. I don't have a gym membership, other then walking or running what are other ways I can exercise without going to the gym?

Body weight exercises (look them up on Bodybuilding.com).

Lengthy coitus with a significant other.

Sports.

Walking.

Dancing.

Yoga/Stretching.

Street fighting/fighting an animal (I'd recommend starting off with a poodle and working your way up to fighting a bear).

Waiting on the other side of your home for a delivery man to knock and then seeing if you can sprint to the door before he leaves. If it's anything like the delivery people I get, it'll be quite a challenge.
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I adore Leslie Sansone Walk at Home DVD's. Pick them up off Ebay cheap :)
  • Burgess2527
    Burgess2527 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone.
  • Jwanguy
    Jwanguy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I workout at home as well. I love jillian micheals workout dvds. You can also see her videos on youtube.
  • Burgess2527
    Options
    :)
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Tons - youtube is awesome. The Daily Burn website has great programs and is something like $14 a month. It provides structure and you can pick the workout program you want to follow. Kettlebells are cool but you need to be careful that your form is correct. Same with free weights. It might be worth it to have one or two personal training sessions if ou go this route with no prior lifting experience. Yoga, swimming, hiking up, cycling, roller skating, martial arts, punching bag.

If it were me and I didn't want to invest a lot of $$, I would stick with running or cycling as cardio, throw in an abs workout 2 times a week (body weight or amp it up with a stability ball), and a full body strength workout twice a week using my body weight or resistance bands.
  • tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Prancersize!
  • iwillthinkof
    iwillthinkof Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I found a website yesterday but something tells me that literally everyone on the planet knew about it but me - it has a lot of great workout videos and all of them are free! So I apologise if you know about it and I am stating the obvious but check it out - fitness blender :smile:
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    If you have Comcast (and im guessing other cable providers), they have some free videos. Try a couple of different ones and see what you like. That might motivate you to get some at home programs (ie beachbody, etc) or might help you realize you need to get a gym membership. Good luck! :)
  • Burgess2527
    Options
    :) thanks