Healthy Pantry Staples

Options
Howdy! I'm trying to figure out how to grocery shop and get healthy staples. I'd like to stock my pantry with nutritious things but I don't want to fall into old habits. I've heard that coconut oil is really good, but what else? I'm trying to come up with basics, like: beans, wild rice...etc. Any ideas?

Replies

• Bluejay0417
    Bluejay0417 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The little cans of tuna, (85grams) Perfect size for high protein snack, and convenient too. If you like tuna........:)
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    My regular list: Black beans, brown rice,quinoa, almonds, canned tomatoes, frozen vegetables, organic chicken sausages, organic chicken patties, Frozen boneless skinless thighs, sweet potatoes, broccoli, baby carrots, cauliflower, Parmesan cheese, garlic, hot sauce, mustard, honey, spinach, kale, Frozen berries, Greek yogurt (2%), almond milk
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Here are the things that I generally like to keep on hand for lots of different healthy meals. I get most of these at Costco because I know I'll go through them before they go bad and they're a lot cheaper there!

Sara Lee 45 calorie bread
    Tomatoes
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Organic Power Greens mix
    Bell peppers
    Brussel sprouts
    Oranges
    Eggs
    Cheese (the bags are huge, but the shredded cheese is easily freezable)
    Frozen chicken breasts
    Canned black beans
    Canned garbanzo beans
    Canned tomatoes
    Canned albacore
    Canned chicken
    Quinoa
    Pasta
    Dave's Gourmet tomato sauce
    Extra virgin olive oil (for cooking)
    Coconut oil (sometimes for cooking, mostly for skincare)
  • Nuka_Gina
    Nuka_Gina Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My regular list: Black beans, brown rice,quinoa, almonds, canned tomatoes, frozen vegetables, organic chicken sausages, organic chicken patties, Frozen boneless skinless thighs, sweet potatoes, broccoli, baby carrots, cauliflower, Parmesan cheese, garlic, hot sauce, mustard, honey, spinach, kale, Frozen berries, Greek yogurt (2%), almond milk

I never think of getting nuts at the grocery store! What a great suggestion. Thank you!
  • RachelYun27
    RachelYun27 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Some things I keep on hand are:

Apples
    Carrots
    Hummus
    Frozen veggies
    Frozen black bean burgers
    Frozen tilapia loins
    Canned tuna/chicken
    Beef jerky
    Eggs
    Oatmeal
    Frozen fruit
    Salad ingredients
    Greek yogurt
    Protein bars
    Butternut squash
    Chocolate
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Instead of stocking your pantry full of a lot special "healthy staples", I'd advise starting small. People are often very enthusiastic in the beginning and buy all sorts of stuff that they never end up using because they are not foods that they would normally eat otherwise.

I'd advise planning out two or three actual meals that you actually want to eat. Buy the ingredients you need just for those meals. Then execute your plan. Don't think that having a bunch of "healthy staples" in your pantry is the panacea for your weight loss.

Actual calorie counting and achieving a calorie deficit is the key. There are no particular foods that will help you achieve this. Careful consideration of the calorie content of the food you eat over the course of the entire day is what will help you achieve your goal.

• notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    minizebu wrote: »
    Instead of stocking your pantry full of a lot special "healthy staples", I'd advise starting small. People are often very enthusiastic in the beginning and buy all sorts of stuff that they never end up using because they are not foods that they would normally eat otherwise.

I'd advise planning out two or three actual meals that you actually want to eat. Buy the ingredients you need just for those meals. Then execute your plan. Don't think that having a bunch of "healthy staples" in your pantry is the panacea for your weight loss.

Actual calorie counting and achieving a calorie deficit is the key. There are no particular foods that will help you achieve this. Careful consideration of the calorie content of the food you eat over the course of the entire day is what will help you achieve your goal.

This is really great advice! It also helps to get used to healthy cooking before over-committing to a large shopping list. My go-to shopping list became what it is because I spent time figuring out what I enjoy cooking/eating so I know that I will for sure use those ingredients, instead of letting them just sit around.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    minizebu wrote: »

Great advice. I'd add thinking through some snacks too, as that might lead to something like nuts (as mentioned in a post above) or dried fruit. What other people eat may or may not be helpful. The great thing about pantry goods is that when you get them they generally last for some time.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I am now trying to buy as much produce as possible, so I guess those things don't qualify as "pantry items" (or do they?)
    For the pantry this is what I like to have:

• Tuna in Olive Oil (has *much* better flavor and texture than regular tuna)
    • Chickpeas
    • Black Beans
    • Pinto Beans
    • Quinoa
    • Whole grain couscous
    • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    • Coconut Oil
    • A TON of vinegars (to enhance flavor in cooking and to add as marinades and instead of salad dressing. I usually have: apple cider vinegar, red wine, balsamic, seasoned rice vinegar, white balsamic infused with something, plain white)
    • Hot sauces: regular stuff like Tabasco, Crystal and also Harissa and Sambal Oelek.
    Hot sauces, to me are an easy way to add flavor and zest to otherwise ho-hum food. But you also have to watch the sodium in these because it can be high and don't forget to log everything bc the calories add up
    • Salt Free seasoning blends like Mrs. Dash
    • Herbs & Spices
    •Sun Butter
    • Canned diced tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce

With the vinegar, olive oil, and herbs & Spices you can make all kinds of marinades for meats and veggies. And it ends up costing less too.

I also like to keep some extra dark chocolate --In case of a chocolate emergency, of course.
  • Nuka_Gina
    Options
    I am now trying to buy as much produce as possible, so I guess those things don't qualify as "pantry items" (or do they?)
    For the pantry this is what I like to have:

• Tuna in Olive Oil (has *much* better flavor and texture than regular tuna)
    • Chickpeas
    • Black Beans
    • Pinto Beans
    • Quinoa
    • Whole grain couscous
    • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    • Coconut Oil
    • A TON of vinegars (to enhance flavor in cooking and to add as marinades and instead of salad dressing. I usually have: apple cider vinegar, red wine, balsamic, seasoned rice vinegar, white balsamic infused with something, plain white)
    • Hot sauces: regular stuff like Tabasco, Crystal and also Harissa and Sambal Oelek.
    Hot sauces, to me are an easy way to add flavor and zest to otherwise ho-hum food. But you also have to watch the sodium in these because it can be high and don't forget to log everything bc the calories add up
    • Salt Free seasoning blends like Mrs. Dash
    • Herbs & Spices
    •Sun Butter
    • Canned diced tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce

With the vinegar, olive oil, and herbs & Spices you can make all kinds of marinades for meats and veggies. And it ends up costing less too.

I also like to keep some extra dark chocolate --In case of a chocolate emergency, of course.

Sun butter such a great idea! I've heard that its good to use because it doesn't have any peanuts in it but it tastes a lot like peanut butter. Is that true?
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Almond butter
    Tuna fish
    Salmon
    Crab
    Green chili
    Crushed tomatoes
    Sweet potatoes

• beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Well, if I had a choice, I'd go for Almond Butter (mmmm, almond butter) over those. But I can't have nuts in the house, so my only choice is Sun Butter. It is not as scrumptious as peanut butter or almond butter, but I love it nevertheless.

I normally don't go for food substitutes, but I find that a tablespoon of Sun Butter gives me a little burst of energy before and during my C25K sessions. If you end up liking it, you can order a few jars at a time through Amazon and you end up saving quite a bit.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    nut butters
    coconut oil
    wild rice
    chicken
    fruit
    fresh veggies
    salad greens
    fish or seafood
    grass-fed beef
    nuts
    seeds
    yogurt
    kefir
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    As far as pantry items go...
    • quinoa
    • wild rice
    • low sodium stocks
    • olive oil
    • low sodium seasonings
    • nut/seed butter (my favorites are sunflower seed and almond)
    • black beans
    • garbanzo beans
    • canned diced tomatoes (no salt added)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Nuka_Gina wrote: »
    Sun butter such a great idea! I've heard that its good to use because it doesn't have any peanuts in it but it tastes a lot like peanut butter. Is that true?

Are you allergic to peanuts? If not, eat peanut butter if you like the taste!
  • Nuka_Gina
    Options
    @kommodevaran I'm not allergic, thank goodness, because I love PB.