Are there any 5'2 or below women eating 1500 a day while losing?

Options

Replies

• amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    i'm 5'2" when I first started at 183-185 my dietician had me at 1500 and lost but slowly, after almost 20 lbs lost we have lowered it to 1400 but my body hasn't seemed to show progress on the scale but do see change with a measuring tape; so far. (all the above with minimal exercise)
  • MTDDS18
    MTDDS18 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and eating around 1600. I decided to do the TDEE - 20% method and it works better for me.

If it's something you're interested in you can calculate your TDEE at http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Just remember if you go this route, you don't eat back exercise calories.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1, and for the first 50 pounds I lost I ate around 1500 total. At that point I stopped losing, so reduced to 1350 total for the last 20 pounds. I am in my early 50's and lightly active.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I can eat 1500 if I exercise, otherwise it's too close to my TDEE.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and maintain at 115 lbs on roughly 1500 calories. I exercize 3ish days a week (mostly lifting, sometimes running) but really don't burn that much. If I want to lose weight I have to eat closer to 1200-1300 or do a LOT more cardio than I have time for atm.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    5'0", 159 lbs. I lose on 1500 (not eating back exercise calories) VERY SLOWLY. I do better on 1300. It sucks, it's not fair, blah blah blah... but it is what it is. We're all different, our metabolisms are different even if we're similar height/weight/whatever.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I am 5'0" and lose about a lb a week eating and average of 1670 per day.
    I have 5 hrs+ of roller derby a week and lift heavy 3 days a week for about an hour.
  • lisac195
    lisac195 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1" and if I ate 1500 net calories a day I would gain. My maintenance is around 1400. I am 54 and post menopausal with a desk job so that makes a difference I'm sure.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and I eat between 1400 and 1500 on most days. Once in a while I'll go a scootch over 1500 and once in a while I'll go a scootch under 1400. I have lost 29 lbs. so far. I'm 47 years old. I consider myself sedentary and I do 20-30 minutes of yoga or Pilates usually about 5 times per week, but sometimes it's only 10 minutes depending on how I feel, what's going on, etc.

My loss isn't fast - it has taken me since Thanksgiving to lose these 29 lbs. - but I continue to experience a loss, between half a pound and 1.5 lbs., nearly every week.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    MTDDS18 wrote: »
    I'm 5'2 and eating around 1600. I decided to do the TDEE - 20% method and it works better for me.

If it's something you're interested in you can calculate your TDEE at http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

according to this calculation i am allowed 1075 calories a day... thats crazy.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and I'm at 1650ish to lose half a pound a week right now. I run 3 times a week and do heavy lifting 3 times a week. I just changed up my training though so it'll be different going forward. Probably more calories burned so more food.

With no exercise, I'm supposed to maintain around 1600.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and my MFP calories are set to 1410 but with calories from my Fitbit, I regularly average around 1600. I've lost 24 pounds in 26 weeks. (I'm set to 1# per week loss.)
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm 4'11" and easily clock in 1500cal a day with some moderate daily exercise. I have lost 47.5lbs in 12.5 weeks.

I am very heavy though, and I also have a 40lbs 4 year old I carry on my back when I walk, and push a 33lbs 2 year old in a stroller :-)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I'm around 5'2" and I lost quite a lot of weight at 1500 calories (gross, not net) or thereabouts. Now I'm closer to goal, 1500 is closer to maintenance. (I'm in my 50s).
  • mirrim52
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    MTDDS18 wrote: »

according to this calculation i am allowed 1075 calories a day... thats crazy.

Are you sure you put in your information using the right units? I am only 5'0", older than you, and even if I put in sedentary it gives me nearly 1300 calories for a 20% deficit.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Adiemus200 wrote: »
    Im 5"1 and I lose on 1500 + exercise calories. But I don't always eat all of my exercise calories, sometimes half. It depends on how hungry I am.

I do the exact same! I've lost at this amount several times, it's an easy number for me to cut to when I need to drop a few pounds for any reason. My maintenance is 1900-2000, so it makes sense. With the right foods, I'm never hungry either. I tend to have the most energy when I lean on the side of lots of protein. :)

Edit: I'm barely 5'1" btw.
  • 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0.5" and currently losing on ~1450 ( currently I weigh 161 lbs)

I use MFP method though and not TDEE because my workout schedule and daily activity is very inconsistent, if I go over my calories I just exercise enough to reach my goal ( Im lazy, don't judge me :wink: )

I find it funny and annoying that when I was on 1200 cals I only lost the first week and stopped for the following 8 weeks, and now that I am eating more I am actually losing weight
  • heatherfitz
    heatherfitz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2'' and set my goal for 1,400 a day. But I also do some kind of cardio most days and end up netting around 1,200. I'm steadily losing so I'm sticking with it. I also go by weekly totals rather than just daily, as we all have good days and bad days.
  • mirrim52
    Options
    7aneena wrote: »
    I find it funny and annoying that when I was on 1200 cals I only lost the first week and stopped for the following 8 weeks, and now that I am eating more I am actually losing weight

I have a theory about this...
    My theory is that when one puts themselves on a very restrictive diet, they are more likely to cheat. Even if it is bits and nibbles, or filling that cereal bowl fuller, or estimating low, because we don't want to be "in the red". Those little cheats add up. When we raise our calorie "allowance" to a more manageable goal, we can be honest with ourselves without constantly "failing". So we may be eating less at 1400 calories than we were at 1200, but more honestly logging.

The other option is that the extra calories give you more energy to exercise and exercise harder, therefore burning the difference and net-ing fewer calories.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    7aneena wrote: »

I have a theory about this...
    My theory is that when one puts themselves on a very restrictive diet, they are more likely to cheat. Even if it is bits and nibbles, or filling that cereal bowl fuller, or estimating low, because we don't want to be "in the red". Those little cheats add up. When we raise our calorie "allowance" to a more manageable goal, we can be honest with ourselves without constantly "failing". So we may be eating less at 1400 calories than we were at 1200, but more honestly logging.

The other option is that the extra calories give you more energy to exercise and exercise harder, therefore burning the difference and net-ing fewer calories.

^^ valid point and definitely how it was with me.