Eating before bed

Options
I had a good day yesterday - watching my intake - no binges - healthy choices - lots of water - but when I went to bed I was so hungry. I wanted to eat something but didn't know what the shoulds and shouldn'ts of late night eating are.

i didn't actually eat anything and went to bed - maybe that was best since i am trying to shrink my stomach/appetite down to a more reasonable size..?

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating before you go to bed as long as it's in your calories. I almost always have something before bed (usually chocolate) otherwise I'd be too hungry to sleep.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat, as long as you're not exceeding your calorie limit. I don't, however, recommend eating dark chocolate right before bed. You probably fell right to sleep last night, and I can assure you I didn't. Best to you on this journey!!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine it would be very restful to sleep when you are noticeably hungry. There is no reason not to eat especially if you have room in your calorie goal. I usually try to eat a little something about an hour before bed. I don't like to wake up very hungry.
  • AwesomeSauceTN
    AwesomeSauceTN Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had one of those Diana's banana baby dark chocolate covered bananas. It satisfied my craving for something sweet, and the banana hit the spot. I was thinking of trying to make my own and then roll the banana around in chopped peanuts, or maybe try to fill it with peanut butter to boost the protein. The banana and chocolate itself was only 2 grams of protein. Idk if this is really healthy or unhealthy
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    even though i "know" there is nothing wrong with eating right before bed, i still have a hard time doing it. i sometimes would rather go to bed hungry that to eat something (even if in my calorie goal) because i feel like it will just sit there all night. what i have learned is to listen to my body. if i am hungry, i need to eat. my body is telling me it needs something and i need to listen. also, it goes the other way around. if it's meal time but i'm not hungry, i don't eat.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you have the calories, there is no reason to go to bed hungry.

Think of a factory that runs 24 hours a day. There is always something going on, electricity is always being used. Fewer production lines may be running in the middle of the night but the maintenance crew is in there doing fixes and maintenance that isn't done as much during the day. Your body is like that factory, working at night it burns energy (calories) repairing itself from the stressors of the day, digesting food, etc., all while you are sleeping.
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I eat before bed or I wake up with indigestion around 4 or 5 a.m. which is 1 hour before my alarm wakes me, and makes me very grumpy.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Would depend on whether or not eating before bed causes you trouble with sleeping. If it gives you heart burn, etc. - probably not a great idea. Not necessarily significant for weight loss either way.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I always save 200 calories for before bed. That way if I'm really tired I don't have to eat them. BUt if I can't sleep because I'm too hungry, hey I have 200 calories!
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Oh my God, how do people actually believe eating before bed is bad? This is like believing in monsters living in your wardrobe. EAT WHENEVER THE HELL YOU WANT TO FOR GOODNESS SAKE!!!!!!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    You should never have to go to bed hungry. Once you start feeling deprived or like you can't have something at certain times, it's all downhill from there.

Nothing wrong with a bedtime snack as long as you're smart about how what you have. I usually go for protein bar or a serving of pretzels and a piece of string cheese.
  • lisaab27
    lisaab27 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't eat right before bed. Eating before bed makes you wake up hungrier than if you didn't. I've done it and it didn't work and the doctor told me it's a big "no-no". That's not to say don't have a snack a few hours before bed. My limit is 9:45. So if I aim for my snack at about 9:30 it works out perfectly. Then afterwards I go brush my teeth. When I have that minty taste in my mouth, it helps lower the desire for food. I have a big bottle of water by my bed and every time I feel hungry I drink some. It helps me get water down and really does help with feeling hungry. Try cucumber water with a little lemon. It's good for you and tastes refreshing. Cravings have nothing to do with hunger, they are there even if I'm stuffed so don't confuse craving more food with really being hungry. Your stomach is going to growl as it shrinks and a few sips of water will quieten it down. Try to eat your allowed calories during the day and quit eating at least 3 hours before bed.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,644 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Should - eat if you're hungry and you have the calories
    Shouldn't - if it interferes with your sleep

Easy. :)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    lisaab27 wrote: »
    I don't eat right before bed. Eating before bed makes you wake up hungrier than if you didn't. I've done it and it didn't work and the doctor told me it's a big "no-no"". That's not to say don't have a snack a few hours before bed. My limit is 9:45. So if I aim for my snack at about 9:30 it works out perfectly. Then afterwards I go brush my teeth. When I have that minty taste in my mouth, it helps lower the desire for food. I have a big bottle of water by my bed and every time I feel hungry I drink some. It helps me get water down and really does help with feeling hungry. Try cucumber water with a little lemon. It's good for you and tastes refreshing. Cravings have nothing to do with hunger, they are there even if I'm stuffed so don't confuse craving more food with really being hungry. Your stomach is going to growl as it shrinks and a few sips of water will quieten it down. Try to eat your allowed calories during the day and quit eating at least 3 hours before bed.

It definitely doesn't make me hungier when I wake up! Quite the opposite actually.

And I'm curious what your Dr said about it being a "no no". Why? Whats the science behind it? Seems like bad advice from a Dr in my opinion.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Eating before bed is only an issue if you have reflux, then the dr will tell you to give your stomach time to empty out so you don't get the backup.
  • DC_TheDrivah1
    DC_TheDrivah1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I usually workout late afternoons so when I get home i shower, eat a post-workout meal and slam a slow digesting protein shake and go to sleep. It's fine to eat before bed, as long as you're staying within your caloric limit. Gives your body somethin to do throughout the night.
  • xandralaw
    xandralaw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Wow - thanks for all the feedback guys! (This is exactly why I need to stay active on MFP)

So i didn't have any calories left - was actually over for the day. It being my first day back at this I wasn't upset about that but I am trying to shrink my stomach so I don't eat so much. With the binges I've done I know my hunger is really bigger than it needs to be right now.

I think because I am a binge eater, and now I am trying to get back in control, I am nervous about every food related decision. The should I's / should'nt I's are endless..
  • xandralaw
    xandralaw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    PS - I'm still relatively new - so please add me if you want - i like friends :)
  • jms14letgo
    jms14letgo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I personally eat before bed.. Usually something that is loaded with protein and low carb. Like almonds, string cheese, or jerky. Otherwise I wake up at 3:00 on the dot and can't get back to sleep... it's the most annoying thing ever.

If you are hungry then go for it. Even if it's something small, it might curb the growling tummy. :)
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I usually eat above the table but, to each....