Diet control

Options
dm4762
dm4762 Posts: 6 Member
I've been off an on fitness pal for a few years. I work out everyday but I lack diet control. I let my emotions control my eating habits. I want to eat clean and healthy but I fail at being consistent. I'm looking for tips and maybe finding someone who is in my same situation.

The main obstacle Im dealing with is living in a household where I'm the only one wanting to change eating habits. I can make myself something healthy but turn around and have to cook something not healthy for my family members.

Any suggestions, comments, or recommendations ??

Replies

• carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. No true suggestions... just sending big cyber hugs to you!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you are in charge of the cooking, I think you can prepare something for everyone that fits in your goals. Just change your portioning. You can limit the amount of fat that you cook with. If you do it gradually, my bet is the family will barely notice. You may have more pasta or bread out for the other family members. Here's some tips I kept for safekeeping.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/halting-a-binge-session-715131
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    dm4762 wrote: »
    I've been off an on fitness pal for a few years. I work out everyday but I lack diet control. I let my emotions control my eating habits. I want to eat clean and healthy but I fail at being consistent. I'm looking for tips and maybe finding someone who is in my same situation.

The main obstacle Im dealing with is living in a household where I'm the only one wanting to change eating habits. I can make myself something healthy but turn around and have to cook something not healthy for my family members.

Any suggestions, comments, or recommendations ??

Why do you "have to" cook something not healthy for your family members? I am not a short order cook. You eat what I prepare, or you do without or make your own. If you have children, you are better off teaching them good eating habits when they are young.
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    That's tough, I know. I'm lucky my girls eat very similar to me, but my husband likes everything fried and salty. Its so hard to cook supper some days to fit in more veggies than meat and bread. Sometimes I just take the protien, like if we are having burgers or steak, and weigh out a portion and put it over a big salad for just me. Sometimes if they want fried chicken, like boneless, I put a small skillet on the back burner and just sautee 6 oz in a tsp of oil for myself. There are some things I don't budge on except for special occasions like serving chips as a side, or making so much food that there is a lot of left overs. My goal is to serve one portion to everyone with seconds on veggies only. I came from a large family, so cooking for 4 in this manner has been a challenge but it has helped, especially my girls. Good luck and safe journey to you!
  • dm4762
    Options
    It's my fiancé who I cook for and refuses to eat healthy. I've tried to sneak healthy options but he won't eat it. He a country boy who loves gravy, meat, and potatoes.
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It's my fiancé who I cook for and refuses to eat healthy. I've tried to sneak healthy options but he won't eat it. He a country boy who loves gravy, meat, and potatoes.

I grew up on that too with bread and butter every meal and always dessert after supper. You can't make him ready, just do your best to be a quiet example. Your results will speak for themselves and you will be stronger for it. Hang in there, it CAN be done:)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well the rule in my house is you eat what I cook or you figure out your own food. I appreciate that there are those one or two things someone just can't eat but I don't have patience for someone just being a picky PITA.

Make sure you are not being too restrictive, alot of people who take the eating clean approach cut alot of things out of their diet, you don't necessarily have to do that, just learn to incorperate them in a healtier way.

For emotional eating you just have to learn to reconize it and address it. I struggle with this, I tend to want sweet things or chocolate when I am upset, and there are times I just have to ask myself "Why do you want to eat this and what is it really going to fix." The answer is usually "nothing".
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    For emotional eating you just have to learn to reconize it and address it. I struggle with this, I tend to want sweet things or chocolate when I am upset, and there are times I just have to ask myself "Why do you want to eat this and what is it really going to fix." The answer is usually "nothing".

OP, I appreciate the difficulty of the situation. First, you can always eat what you’ve cooked for everyone else, but in a smaller serving size and with a side of veggies or something. My BF won’t touch vegetables with a 10 foot pole, and whenever I make dinner for us I eat <half his serving of pasta and steam myself some vegetables on the side. At the end of the day, portion size is key.

Second, when I want to eat because I’m upset or whatnot like 4legsRbetterthan2 said, I try to go for a run instead (walking might also work). That actually makes me feel better due to endorphins or whatnot. If I’m just craving food I don’t want to eat, I may skip rope for 5 minutes. This resets my body a bit. If these things don’t work, I go for a comforting cup of tea. If it still didn’t work, I just eat some freaking chocolate, log it, enjoy it, and move on :smile: .
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Make the same meal for everyone. But - what JGNatca said.....make some changes.

He can have his mashed potatoes....slim your potatoes down by adding in some mashed cauliflower. You can always skip the gravy. Add a nice side of veggies (he can always skip the veggies if he wants to).
  • Tmochava
    Tmochava Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is the same exact way. He refuses to eat anything healthy and he won't even drink water. Its silly but if its not southern comfort food or soul food he won't eat it. I figure I'll just have to make my food separate from his food. I do that now with my daughter sometimes.
  • dm4762
    Options
    I'm finding tea is very comforting. I will take the suggestion on portion control and substituting cauliflower in my mash potato. Thanks everyone.... Weight loss and healthy eating is a journey!
  • 1nelle
    1nelle Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I also cook for my family 2 boys and my husband they tend to like the meat potatoes and gravy. What i do cause i dish everyones plates up for them is i portion control everyones. They get more of the meat and potatoes and i take more of the veggies, and smaller potion of meat and potatoes and a little gravy just to give to potatoes some taste. You could add me as a friend if you would like.
  • Crystalrae1977
    Options
    It is such a journey and when your obsticals are family it can make it a little harder. Portion control is the key for sure, it can be frustrating at times but you can do it. I don't know if you like to do protein shakes but there are some great ones out there these days that are a great mix of carbs protein and healthy fats that help you too. I like them because I can feel full without feeling tired or guilty. Good luck with your journey and remember strong and steady wins the race :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Show him where the kitchen is :)
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Show him where the kitchen is :)

This!!! It is what I would do with my husband; If you don't like what I serve, well then this is where the kitchen is, this is how it works.

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    My fiance likes a much smaller range of food than I, but fortunately he's willing to try new things. Some he likes, some he doesn't. But there are times that we want different things to eat, and I don't mind at all cooking one thing for him, and one for me...or letting him fend for himself. He's welcome to eat what I'm eating, but if he doesn't want it, then there's plenty of other things for him to eat.

Portion control can be a lot easier if you prepare yourself with smaller plates and bowls. Also, weigh your portions. Taking very small servings of what he's eating, and then adding a bunch of veggies, is also a good option.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Hey I feel you. My boyfriend is native American and he won't eat healthy except for veggies. .there's so much junk food in this house..it's hard not to be like him and eat a whole bag of chips...no real advice but feel free to add me for surport :)