Starting a new 9 week plan...anyone interested?

Options
charwell
charwell Posts: 14 Member
Hello all,

Newbie here...been here almost 4 weeks and have lost 16 pounds...I am so excited to say the least~!!!! I have just been told by one of my more healthy friends about a new program she has downloaded to her phone and has been doing for the past 6 weeks...it is really working. Last night I started WEEK 1 - DAY 1 of this program and it kicked my butt...in a GREAT way. I challenge anyone on here that wants to join me in getting more healthy while eating healthy using MFP to join on in. If you have an android phone...go to your market and download the C25K LITE. This stands for Couch to 5k. My partner and I have already begun looking for a 5k for us to participate in at the end of the summer. You can also google it online if you would like. If you try it...friend me and we can track each others progress...nice to know someone else is doing it too. I now weigh 240 pounds, 5"7' and have several issues with my health...including arthritus, cholesterol, triglicerydes, sleep apnea, and high blood pressure. About 7-9 pills a day. My birthday is Sunday and I will be 38....it is SOOOOO time for a change! Hopefully you agree...chart our progress together...and LETS HIT IT~!

See you at the end of our 9 week journey!
Chase

Replies

• Bkakmk
    Bkakmk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello, I also started the C25K and all I have to say is start SLOW and follow the program. I tried to double up the week routine and sprain BOTH of my MCL's. I was hurting for about a month or so.

Guess that's why they call it a "program" cause there's always some dummy like me that tries to change it up.

Good luck!

Brian
  • charwell
    Options
    After day 1 of this new program I can see how someone a bit heavy like me can really over do i...my healthy friend does hers at least 5 times a week...instead of the 3...after last night I sorta wished it was 1 or 2 times a week for the first couple of weeks. Pushing yourself is good, but I totally agree with you that you can over do it quite quickly...I see you started in May...what are your goals...? Good luck back at you~Chase
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

Guess that's why they call it a "program" cause there's always some dummy like me that tries to change it up.

HAHAHAHA! Boys... :tongue:

Seriously - go slow. Jog slower than you walk. Allow your body to get used to the pounding before you even think about adding speed! I'm in week 4 of C25K and I *guarantee* I am now a runner for life.

I'm 38 and a month ago I couldn't have run to the end of the block even if someone was chasing me!
  • charwell
    Options
    That is so funny...I always tell people there are only two reasons to run...hearing the word BUFFET and if someone is after you...I walked at 2.5 on the treadmill last night and ran at 4...OMG...the banging on my body has been felt all day long..even the proverbial "man-boobs hurt"...LOL~
  • Bkakmk
    Bkakmk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    even the proverbial "man-boobs hurt"

OMG! I'm glad I just went to the bathroom because I'm laughing so freakin hard. I know exactly where your coming from. I've lived in VA Beach for 13 years and have NEVER taken my shirt off at the beach cuz the "man-boobs"
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    That is so funny...I always tell people there are only two reasons to run...hearing the word BUFFET and if someone is after you...I walked at 2.5 on the treadmill last night and ran at 4...OMG...the banging on my body has been felt all day long..even the proverbial "man-boobs hurt"...LOL~

Well, strap 'em down and keep going! LOL

I have actually changed the C25K program to better play mind games with myself. I was having a really hard time psyching myself up for longer run intervals each week - so I am weaning myself OFF of walking intervals instead. Hey, that's how I quit smoking so I am banking it will work for running too :wink:

I started with 60 run/60 walk, and am now 60 run/45 walk. Next will be 60 run/30 walk. Today I ran right through one of my walk intervals because I felt good and ended up running for 3 minutes straight without even dying! I am so proud of myself :tongue:
  • charwell
    Options
    Glad to know others know how i feel in the MB department...I hope to get to the point i can run through the walking parts too...prob around week 6 or 7 though...LOL...once i do C25k...im going to try the B2-10k...bridge to 10k...im on a roll...pray for me...and strapping them down...WOW...now i gotta go to bathroom...funny story: we took one of our lady friends with us last nite...she has a knee injury so instead of working out .., she leaned back on a bench press bar and watch our ...rears almost the entire time..."creepy"...
  • canadian_cristal
    canadian_cristal Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking of taking up running, but i've been too aprehensive. I found the treadmill version of this challenge and it doesn't sound scary at all! I'd love to try this challenge with you. I'll start on Monday when I renew my gym pass. woot woot! thank you for lettingme know about this cool plan.
  • Sunjenk
    Sunjenk Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this, I didn't realize there was an app -- just got it and starting tonight!!

Thanks so much!!
  • charwell
    Options
    YAY~
  • onmywaytoskinny155
    onmywaytoskinny155 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I can't find the C2K lite only C2K Pro
  • emoslayer84
    emoslayer84 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm on board 100%! :)
  • charwell
    Options
    I think the pro has a cost of either $1.99 or $2.99...I did a search of couch to 5k on market with my phone and found the free one...good luck on finding it..if not it is worth the 2 or 3 $ you may have to pay...Talk to you soon!
    c
  • onmywaytoskinny155
    onmywaytoskinny155 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Found it will start on Monday
  • grahamckas88
    grahamckas88 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yay, I'm so glad I saw this post. I'm startng the C25K on Sunday. I have never been able to run, so wish me luck!
  • charwell
    Options
    Good Luck my new friend...you won't need luck...just keep focused and all will go well~
  • canadian_cristal
    Options
    yay first day! who knew it would be super hard to run just for a minute. Love this challenge can't wait for day 2 week 1. Made a super awesome Pearl Jam/Radiohead/Black Keyes/White Stripes/Lady gaga mix with the app. Rocked it out while walking and running.
  • grahamckas88
    grahamckas88 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Day 1 went well! I was able to complete it without too much trouble. I need to stay focused on the present though. I look ahead at the coming weeks and think there is no way I'm going to be able to do this!
  • Finnka
    Finnka Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've never run before, have just completed week 1 and am loving it, feel free to add me as a friend.
  • canadian_cristal
    Options
    don't worry! me too! after day 1 i was like... oh man.. how am i going to make it for the next couple of weeks if i can't even go through a minute of running!