Weight fluctuation

Options
I know weight loss is not linear. But come on. My body really annoys me sometimes! I weigh myself after the period ends, like the day after. That's what I did a week ago. 9 stone 7, 133lb. The day after that, my weight started playing havoc again, today a week later, I am 9 stone 8.5 134.5lb apparently! It drives me insane, like there is only one day in a whole month I can actually weigh myself and have a result. Is this all waterweight? Because I try hard to stick to my calories.... Am I the only woman who only has one opportunity out of the whole month to weigh themselves?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If regular fluctuations are going to annoy you, you may want to switch to a less frequent weighing schedule. Our bodies are complicated, we're going to go up and down. Try to focus less on the myth of a "true weight" and more on what the long-term trend is telling you.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    If regular fluctuations are going to annoy you, you may want to switch to a less frequent weighing schedule. Our bodies are complicated, we're going to go up and down. Try to focus less on the myth of a "true weight" and more on what the long-term trend is telling you.

Sorry, I should of said this, I try very hard not to weigh myself that often. It's just when I do, most of the time it is on the up. And I weigh naked, with heavy jewellery off.
  • eisterunicorn
    eisterunicorn Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yeah girl it's gonna fluctuate. :) What I do is weigh myself a lot because I like to see it fluctuate out of curiosity (with this on, with that on, after I use the restroom, etc LOL) but I only like officially "weigh in" on Sunday morning, after restroom, and sometimes every other Sunday. If the fluctuations bothered or concerned me, I would only weigh myself at official weigh ins. :) Don't stress about it <3
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you know their is a time when your weight is going to be lower than normal, why don't you just ignore the weight on that day and record your weight on the days that are more normal for you? Everyone wants to say it is water weight, but 2/3 of the weight we see on the scale is always water. If we ignore water weight, we might as well not weigh at all.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    For this very reason, I use the Android app Libra to log my weight every morning. It charts it and gives you a trending weight, which averages out all your fluctuations. So, even though I weighed in this morning at 2 lbs higher than I did 3 days ago, my trending weight is still going down in the long run. Once a week, I log my trending weight on MFP and it's always showing a loss. It got frustrating for me to weigh in once a week. You can do the same thing in other apps or in Excel but the app is quick and easy to use when you're naked on the scale :smile:
  • rebekahzinn1
    rebekahzinn1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I found that weighing myself daily helped me stop freaking out about the fluctuations. Now it is clear to me that my weight will be up at least 1 pound the day after a hard workout, and will go up about 3 pounds once a month due to hormones. It normalizes that experience so I can relax about it. There is a lot of advice out there to weigh yourself once a week for this reason.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You will have a really tough time when you get to goal weight and switch to maintenance if you can't accept that weight fluctuations are totally normal.
    There are some apps you can get for your smartphone if you want to see the trend and not focus on today's reading.
    I weigh daily and rarely see the same weight two days on the trot. 4lbs difference once in a while.

So I don't weigh "11st10lbs" - I weigh "around 11st10lbs".
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    For example, here is my weight loss in the past month and a half. You can see the true weigh in's in blue and the trending measurements in red. It takes a LOT of frustration out and gives you a truer idea of your weight at the moment.
    jhzhir22w20t.png
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. I don't worry about the fluctuations. I keep a separate spreadsheet on my laptop for the daily weights and I only report the losses on MFP. This helps me to see when I may be getting into trouble such as 5 lbs up is not just a fluctuation for me.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone, weighing everyday it is and I'm going to download Libra which coincidentally is my starsign.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Walk away from the scale.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Why?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Why?

You're going to have normal fluctuations. A pound is nothing, as water causes fluctuations daily and it will drive you nuts. Get a tape measure or judge by your clothes.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    I'm a healthy weight currently, so measuring I don't tend to get much result from. Clothes work, yes, some things are a bit baggy. I am just conditioned to the scale though, and also I have been diagnosed with OCD for years so it's not as easy as that.
  • Lissieyo
    Lissieyo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »
    For this very reason, I use the Android app Libra to log my weight every morning. It charts it and gives you a trending weight, which averages out all your fluctuations. So, even though I weighed in this morning at 2 lbs higher than I did 3 days ago, my trending weight is still going down in the long run. Once a week, I log my trending weight on MFP and it's always showing a loss. It got frustrating for me to weigh in once a week. You can do the same thing in other apps or in Excel but the app is quick and easy to use when you're naked on the scale :smile:

Thanks for this! You've totally removed some of my frustration this morning!

• Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Maybe if you're going to get that upset about daily fluctuations you should invest in a scale that eliminates them. I have a WW scale that programs per person where it will only show a different weight from the prior day if it exceeds a certain amount of overall change so that you don't freak out over small daily fluctuations. That might help you and you will have the satisfaction of still being able to hop on the scale.