Short girls: How fast do you lose weight?

Options
I'm 5'1" and 22 years old. I feel like I lose weight slowly. The fastest I seem to be able to lose weight is 0.5lbs a week. Some weeks it appears like I'm not losing anything, but then a few months down the road I realize a few lbs are gone. One year it took me 6 months to lose 6lbs. Is that just normal for my height? I am still slightly overweight, so I thought I'd be able to lose 1lb a week maybe. But even with a large calorie deficit, the fastest I seem to lose is on average is 0.5lbs a week, which is what I'm doing now. The only plus is that even a "few" pounds lost is pretty noticeable on me. My current profile pic for example is only 13-15lbs difference. And that one year that I lost only 6lbs a lot of people still noticed I lost weight. How fast or slowly do you lose weight?

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and I lose at about the same rate. Part of it is that no matter how short I am, I'm still HUUNGRY at 1200 calories/day, so I keep it at a place where I can actually live without being miserable. I think it's normal and, since we have very similar body types, I hope I look just like you when I get to 15 lb down!!! :)
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 13 pounds since June, the first few really quickly, but now getting much much harder! I've had a few work trips/ breaks that set me back, but generally 0.5 to 1 lb per week is about the best I can do.

Only 6lbs to get to soft target (24.9 BMI), but at current rate could take a few months....!
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Firstly, everyone is different. :)

Second, I didn't see any mention of regular physical activities. On the assumption that you are doing some form of physical activities, try reeving up the intensity.

I'm 4'10" and in the beginning the weight just seem to fall off at about 1 - 1.5lbs a week. I was so psyched thinking 'woot this is going to be easy!' ... NOT lol

About 5 mths in the rapid loss seem to abruptly come to a halt ... some would say to a sloooow snail crawl. The closer that I got to my goal the slower the progress - towards the end, I remember that I would lose fractions of a pound every other week.

But it made no difference to me - I didn't have a set time-table for myself to achieve X by a certain amount of time because I figure eventually my body will find it's happy & healthy place with my new lifestyle.

I've been maintaining now for about 10+ mths.

Also, just something else to consider, quality of calories are equally if not slightly more important than the quantity.

Good luck!
  • jcook0716
    jcook0716 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I think part of it for me is my body is like AHH WTF compared to how i used to eat which is why im losing faster. I started on 3/3 and today is 3/31 i have lost 13lbs (Started at 199 and now at 186). I am doing 1200 cals a day and either walking 2+ miles outside or going to the gym at least 5 days a week. At the gym im building up my stamina... My first day i could barely do 5 mins on the ellitipcal i felt like i was dying. Last night i did 27 mins straight and then went and did circuit training/weight lifting etc for a total of about an hour and 15 mins. You can do it!
  • ceevee6
    ceevee6 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes, what is your daily activity level and how frequently do you exercise? Also just curious, I viewed your some entries in your food diary---what's the reasoning for your daily calorie and fat/carb/protein intake? (Also, someone hasn't been inputting everything :P) Also, have you been going over calorie limit or having cheat days that you don't track?

I'm a short girl (a generous, 5'3") and I've been seriously counting calories (like every single condiment, ingredient, drink) for the 5 weeks and actually reduced my workouts to 3x/week from 5x/week (mix of cardio and weights). On days I don't work out I'm usually very close to 1275 calories/day and on days I'm exercising it's close to 1500-1600. So far I've lost 9lbs in 5 weeks.

• ceevee6
    ceevee6 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    OMG, i realized your post was from October! How's your progress like now?