Figuring out a good body fat %

Options
Hi! I am 5'5 142 lb female. I had never used a body fat percentage machine t I joined world gym one month ago. At my assessment I was 145.5 lbs and 25% body fat. Today I checked in at 141.8 lbs and 22.8% body fat. I want to make sure I am continuing to lose fat and build muscle but I am unsure of a good target body fat? I am probably already in the "healthy" range but I am striving for a toned athletic physique (no desire for a six pack or shredded legs) just a nice toned slim look. Any advice on finding my target BF%?

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    What are they using to determine your bf%? Is it just one of those scales?

It really depends on how much lean body mass you have, but the look you're going for...I'd say the 18-21% range.
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Don't trust the scales. Even the best scale will only be a rough estimate because of how they calculate the percentage.

If you want an accurate bf% ask one of the gym managers or trainers about it. They'll typically measure different areas of your body to arrive at the percentage.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Get a Bod-Pod test.... Just about the cheapest, most accurate test on the market.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    As an absolute number the scales are whack...often out by up to 10%

To track progression over months they're OK but losing under 4lbs and that equating to over 2% bf seems rather suspect to me. And probably more to do with hydration levels, exercise etc

Dexa scan or body pod for am actual measurement or just jump up and down in front of the mirror and see what jiggles
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Personally I want the look of 23-25%
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    What are they using to determine your bf%? Is it just one of those scales?

It really depends on how much lean body mass you have, but the look you're going for...I'd say the 18-21% range.
    THIS. Not "shredded" but some definition is distinct.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ceembeee
    ceembeee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I appreciate the replies! The scale I used was one of those handheld machines that you enter all your info into and then hold down on the handles. I was afraid they might not be accurate.