Longest you've gone without losing weight?

Options
I'm trying to make myself feel better lol. I weigh daily and my weight was the same as the day before yesterday, and today, I've 'gained' .4 pounds. My intake has been consistently 1200-1400. I'd been losing weight (have lost 3 pounds this week) but has stalled recently (may be my period, idk).

But, to make me feel better, whats the longest 'weight stall' you've experienced?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    11 days, but other people have had much longer.

If you are going to weigh yourself daily, you've got to learn to deal with fluctuations and mini "stalls." Otherwise you're just going to drive yourself crazy.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Eight weeks while actively trying to lose.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    32+ years

Since I started losing weight? About 3.5 weeks. Day to day fluctuations are normal, though, and this one is most likely because of your TOM.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to make myself feel better lol. I weigh daily and my weight was the same as the day before yesterday, and today, I've 'gained' .4 pounds. My intake has been consistently 1200-1400. I'd been losing weight (have lost 3 pounds this week) but has stalled recently (may be my period, idk).

But, to make me feel better, whats the longest 'weight stall' you've experienced?
    You are weighing yourself daily and are worried about a .4 pound gain in a single day?? There isn't anything that you should be upset about IMO. Your weight is going to fluctuate daily up and down. Weight loss is not going to be consistent all the time. Start worrying when you have gone weeks or months at a time with no weight loss.

Take a dump and that .4 lbs may come off.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you are going to weigh yourself every day you need to get over the fluctuations, pronto. You will drive yourself batty otherwise.

My weight log.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If you are going to weigh yourself every day you need to get over the fluctuations, pronto. You will drive yourself batty otherwise.

My weight log.
    for sure...

for me 4 weeks while I was actively trying to lose...
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    9 months. Had a baby and gained 24 lbs. lol. I'm working off the remaining 4.4 lbs from that.

Seriously though, before pregnancy, the longest for me was 2 weeks.

Period, ovulation, exercise, sodium, etc all affect your weight and can sometimes mask weight loss. You should only be concerned if it's been 4-6 weeks without change.
  • Castrofreak
    Castrofreak Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks :p I might start weighing in weekly, cause this fluctuation drives me crazy!
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily too. The up down and flat frustrated me too, up till I started putting all my weigh in's on graph paper and could visually see that the overall trend was positive. This took me out of that self sabotaging "the sky is falling" thing that is part of my neurosis. Finally, I found comparing each days weight to the 7th prior days weight to be the best indicator of progress for me. For some reason that was the sweet spot for me to follow. I am 42 straight days under the week before's weight. On any given day I could feel like giving up since that mornings scale battle told me I I am a loser, but then I plot it on my graph and see how I did compared to the week before and like a light switch I am back on positive mental footing. But that's just me.....
  • ceembeee
    ceembeee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself almost daily, and if you wanna do that you can't let it bother you cause it will drive you crazy, weight will always go up and down. I hit a stall in my weight loss for 6 weeks actively trying to lose, and just this past 2 weeks the weight has been falling off again- I didn't change a thing. Look at the overall trend and you will see you're probably hitting a new "low" weight every few days or so, even by .2 lbs. That is progress to me.
  • staciaislosing
    staciaislosing Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I weighed daily the past couple weeks and it stressed me out so much that I swear the stress was making my weight go up. I would not recommend doing it like that for a long period of time. It is completely normal to have plateau's though and I've already had a couple little ones (I'm in one right now) and I've only been on this journey for 13 weeks. The trick is not letting it get to you, which is easier said than done.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

My weight log.

Yes. I weigh myself everyday and find the fluctuations very interesting but nothing else.

To the OP; what is your definition of weight loss? If your weight goes up two pounds from one day to the next you didn't gain two pounds of fat. It's fat you are looking to lose. There is a lot of noise in the weight loss process.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Since logging and watching my calorie intake for 5.5 months now, I had one month where the scale went up and down .5 lb every week but my waist and hip measurement got smaller during that time and at the end of the month I was 1.5 lbs down.
    Get a measuring tape and take body measurements.
    Don't weigh so often and make sure you are using the same scale, same time of day.
    Be patient.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I had two weeks of gains in a row a couple of times. Then it all comes off plus some the next week. I'm the typical whoosh style of loser.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    32+ years

Since I started losing weight? About 3.5 weeks. Day to day fluctuations are normal, though, and this one is most likely because of your TOM.

ditto.

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I had about 6 mo where I was fluctuating the same 3 stupid lbs! Now that is frustrating! I was actively trying to lose weight watching my food and exercising like a loon. I was daily weighing which I had to stop cause it made me so depressed! So I joined a m9nthly weigh in challenge and it helped. Now I weigh 1 × a week and finally have got my diet or lifestyle eating plan tuned in and I am successfully losing.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've had 2 periods of time since Jan 4th where my weight went up for 3 days on a row. Also other times where it went up a bit, down a bit, stayed the same, back down, up a bit etc etc. As long as there is a downward trend overall, you should feel proud and not even give it a second thought.

20ic0vl.jpg

My actual weight entries are the red points and the blue are the estimated ones by weightgrapher.com...I got digital scales in Feb so that's when the daily weighing started.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Close to 8 weeks, when I skipped a period. I only lose weight the week after my period. Once it came back, I lost 6 pounds in a week or something...

So typically, I only lose every 3-4 weeks.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options

I went about 6 months at a plateau. Watching what I ate, working out with a trainer 2 days per week and cardio 3 days per week. This was all before finding mfp and signing up for
    The Biggest Loser Community Challenge at my gym. I have dropped almost 17 lbs since the end of January.