feeling blue and want to eat what do you do to replace eating

Options
I interview for a big position that i really wanted . I just found out i didnt get the job. And the first thing i want to do is eat my feeling away...... but trying to stay motivated to stay positive and not eat due to emotion.

What do you do instead of eating your feelings ?

Replies

• spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I go outside. This happened to me yesterday. I had a bad day similar to yours, and instead of going to the kitchen I grabbed the dog and took her on a nature walk. By the time I got home it was dinner time so I ate then, and then went upstairs to clean (away from the kitchen). I had completely avoided it!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I exercise...then eat. Then I pick myself up and look for the next step.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I also sometimes try to find comfort in a favorite, not so healthy food when I am feeling sad. If it is nice where you are, try getting outside for a bit. It takes you away from the kitchen where the temptations are, and can get you active. Go for a walk. Or, if you aren't feeling like being active, just go sit in a park and watch the clouds go by or watch kids play. It's hard to feel sad watching kids play...they do the weirdest, silliest stuff :) Or, try reaching out to a friend. See if someone wants to go see a movie or get a coffee and talk. Or even better, tell them you had a bad day and are struggling .That way they can help distract you and keep you from giving in to a binge. If no one is available, try going to a bookstore or somewhere fun like Target and browsing. Maybe even buy yourself a small, non-food treat such as a magazine or a new nail polish. If you don't feel like going out, try doing something at home to distract you, such as reading a good book, painting your nails, watching a funny movie, or taking a bubble bath. Really anything to keep your mind busy and off food.

And, remember that we all have set backs and we all have bad days. It's just a bad day, not a bad life. Tomorrow you will feel different. Just let it pass.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Walk. Read. Hot bath. Knit. Pet an animal. Diarize the experience then put it away. Or burn it. A burning ritual is cathartic.
  • mbrough58
    mbrough58 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Music, dancing, singing. Enjoy tea time. Buy flowers. Clean something. Go for a drive. Walk.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Last time I was feeling upset/stressed I started cleaning.
    Exercise
    Meditate
    Talk to someone about what you are feeling.
    Get busy with something else.
  • irejuvenateme
    irejuvenateme Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Can you go for a run, or even just a walk outside with some good music? Also sometimes like to hit a movie if you can avoid concessions (bring an apple)
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    You don't want to eat, you want to camouflage your emotions. It's not food you want, it's a reprieve from the disappointment and pain you feel.

I would 1) remind myself that binge eating while sad has never once in the history of ever made anyone actually feel better. All it does is distract you for a while, and then you feel guilty on top of everything else; 2) allow myself to actually feel my feelings, and analyse them. Pain has a purpose and if you don't find out what it is then you waste a great opportunity. Don't be scared to cry! 3) find another activity that I actually like to do, and do it. Or do some stretches and jumping jacks; 4) eat a snack.

Anyway, if you didn't read any of that, just know that this too shall pass! I hope in a year you're looking back on this day, smiling in the midst of your happiness and finding it difficult to remember how tough this experience was. And also that you're healthier and fitter!

Wish you every success on your job search, and that the job you get blows this one out of the water!
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I suggest counseling
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Find a scary movie to watch on Netflix...the scarier the better.

I mean, Im anyway a complete wuss, and I get nightmares over those things...so I give myself more pressing issues to deal with, like the stupidity of how both entrances to my tiny apartment are only 6 feet apart, which would do me no good in the event a murderer or paranormal entity were to invade, and contemplating how much a jump from a 3rd floor balcony will hurt...

Not even kidding LoL well, I mean Im not *that* paranoid, but I do watch a scary movie when Im upset / angry / need to direct focus.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Sorry you didn't get the job, but I believe everything happens for a reason. Must not have been the right fit for you. Also good for you for realizing that eating will not help. Good suggestions have already been given: get physically active and/or remove yourself from your current surroundings. Creating a new habit to how you react to these feelings will pay off long-term.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a smell can trigger a good feeling too. I went for coffee one day and realized I didn't need to drink it to feel better I just smelled it.

I loved the idea of wandering around Target too, that's one of my favorite feel better pasttimes just stay away from the food sections.

One day the right job will come along and you'll be that much stronger for not getting this one. Chin up!
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I colour. Or knit. Something that keeps my snacking hands busy ;)
  • BonnieMarugg
    BonnieMarugg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For a mildly bad day I crochet, but a really bad day requires actually leaving the house.. the park, the mall anywhere without access to my kitchen where I can't just graze
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I dont know tbh it would depend how I fell, but whatever choice I made id be fine with it and take an approrpiate balancing action.

Id probably try and separate my diet from everything else so one thing didnt affect the other. As you cnat do that very well then you have to find some way of channeling that unhappiness into somewhere else and come up with a non food alternative.

1. Talk to a friend. Problem shared etc.
    2. Understand what went wrong so you cna learn from the experience. You might get feedback.
    3. Do something nice, sleep, bath, watch a film, read.
    4. I like going to the gym/ pool and earning some calories. Not only do you get to work it off and tire yourself out, but you get calories.
    5. It would be my choice if I did use food and took a break fro a day from the diet and just ate if the interview was that significant, but I wouldnt beat up on myself in the morning, id enjoy the food and eating it would be a conscious decision. If you would feel bad about it then obviously do not.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    if i am feeling very very blue i will go sit... yes sit... in a very hot shower have a cry and let the hot water and steam calm me down. I take that time to be upset, cry, feel sorry for myself. After I get out and remind myself of the positives and make a game plan. Its my go to if i am sick, hung over, sad, mad, depressed. i usually always feel about 30% better after.
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    fvdl7hqc4z91.jpg
    1.jpg 78.6K
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    A walk! Total mood boost. If a square of dark chocolate doesn't make you go overboard on eating, it is also an awesome mood boost and also reduces stress.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Let yourself feel your feels. I know for me, I literally used food as a drug. I would feel bad, eat, and it would make me feel better. Until I realized that it was a never-ending, vicious cycle. So, I had to learn to just let myself feel the emotions I was trying to blunt with food.

If you do that and still want to use food: Distraction, distraction, distraction. Read a book, watch a movie, take a nap. Whatever you need to do to simply get your mind off the issue.

Also, sorry you didn't get the job. Hopefully it just means that something better is right around the corner!
  • Shana0930
    Shana0930 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the job but that only means there is something better our there for you. Hang in there.

I am the same way though. Recently I have been making myself go for a walk, I have to get out of the house. This may sound weird too but if I talk out my problem (with myself) on that walk I feel better. If I am still craving something I might indulged a little bit but usually I am in a better state when I get back and don't give in.