Weird substitutions that work...

Options
2»

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is weird or not, but I use uncooked oatmeal in my meatloaf instead of breadcrumbs. Delish!
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    When we need to make a box cake mix, we use unsweetened apple sauce instead of oil. It doesn't taste like apple and it comes out really moist. It saves a few calories :)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Here's one from the other day.

I wanted to make stuffed Jalapeños but not just with cream cheese (and I use greek cream cheese). So I added mashed avocado and diced tomato to the mix. They were delicious.

The next morning, I wanted a spicy omelette, but didn't have cheese or any leftover jalapeños, but I DID have a few leftover stuffed jalapeños in the fridge. So I sliced them up into tiny pieces and threw them in my eggwhite omelette. Problem solved! And quite delicious.

That sounds delicious! A friend of mine makes the usual jalapeno poppers for summer bbq's (jalapenos with cream cheese wrapped in bacon). I think we'll add your avocado recipe to the mix1
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    plain greek yogurt for sour cream is about as wild and crazy as I get.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    cblue315 wrote: »
    Running really low on salad toppings one day and cut up a slice of cold pizza. I still do this when there is any available.

Salad topped with pizza! Genius.
  • mrsswisspea
    mrsswisspea Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I made this recipe (out of boredom and interest): http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/12/05/deep-dish-cinnamon-roll-pie/

No flour. The main ingredient in this sweet, delicious, amazing cake is mashed white beans and oats. It's amazing. And the frosting is made from silken tofu and powdered sugar.
  • jigglyjessica
    jigglyjessica Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My nephew is 3 and says he doesn't like most veggies so I'm trying to be creative and sneak them in lol Today I'm going to put some pureed carrots in his mac n cheese and see if he notices >:)
  • x_tina324
    x_tina324 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is weird or not, but I use uncooked oatmeal in my meatloaf instead of breadcrumbs. Delish!

I use French fried onions.
  • theston412
    theston412 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I like to dip cold (next day) fried chicken in Miracle Whip. Not mayo, Miracle Whip.

Also, when I make tuna and noodle casserole, I use cheese-itz instead of crackers or bread crumbs for the topper while I'm baking it.
  • theston412
    theston412 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    Many years ago, I wanted a peanut butter snack, but there was no fruit, bread, or crackers to spread it on. So I spread the peanut butter on a slice of cold, leftover meatloaf. It was so good - and very low carb too! I still crave that sometimes.

A spoon would have sufficed. lol
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Nikkei74 wrote: »
    You would not believe how creamy pumpkin soup is if you add cannelloni beans before you puree it. I threw them in once to try to get some extra fibre. Turns out it's creamier than if you add cream.

I wonder if this would work with tomato soup?
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I don't think my substitutions are weird....but I do frequently substitute foods because I'm trying to finish some ingredient.

Like, I'll use leftover cous cous in place of rice for fried rice or some sort of paella-type dish. Or when craving a stuffed bell pepper I ended up using chorizo (the saucy kind), an Italian sausage and string cheese.

That didn't work out as well. Don't get me wrong, I ate it, but not my best substitute.

In place of unsweetened or bittersweet I like to use Ghiradelli's hazelnut chocolate cocoa sometimes. There's this flourless chocolate cake I make... it's delicious.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I got halfway through making a chicken pot pie and realised that the can of chicken soup I planned to use was actually creamed corn. I used it anways, and it was great!