How to maintain

Options
I am almost there but how do I maintain the weight loss? I am on a 1200 calorie a day diet now and have been losing but once I reach my goal which is about 4 pounds away, what do I do then? ANY suggestions GREATLY appreciated! I love dieting on this website because you can eat just about anything, in moderation while keeping track of the calorie count and your exercise for the day. It has worked for me!

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:

Congratulations on your achievement so far.
    There are several threads in this forum. Here is one link
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1275823/maintenance-promised-land-advice-for-new-maintainers
    I am on Maintenance phase now. I found it a trial and error process. I have to find the "equilibrium" point for my body.
    I keep logging my food and watch out my calories. I am no longer eating at a deficit but I have not increased my daily calorie target much.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Simply walk up your calorie goal week by week until you find the calorie amount that lets you maintain in an acceptable range of weight, for example goal weight +/- 2lbs to allow for normal daily fluctuations.

If you are currently losing at more than 1lb a week then suggest you start walking up the calories now.

PS - start working on your shoulder flexibility as you will want to pat yourself on the back.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    What i did was use the calorie intake mfp recommended to maintain then slowly increase calories by 100 a day for a week until i hit that goal. Keep at it for a month or so and if you gain, lessen the calories, if you lose, increase it by 50-100, and if you maintain, congrats!
  • jlhudsons
    jlhudsons Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the info! I bookmarked the page for weight maintenance also.
  • jlhudsons
    jlhudsons Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    jennitm wrote: »
    Hi:

Congratulations on your achievement so far.
    There are several threads in this forum. Here is one link
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1275823/maintenance-promised-land-advice-for-new-maintainers
    I am on Maintenance phase now. I found it a trial and error process. I have to find the "equilibrium" point for my body.
    I keep logging my food and watch out my calories. I am no longer eating at a deficit but I have not increased my daily calorie target much.
    Good luck in your healthy journey[/quote

Congrats! This pretty much sums it up. Take it week by week. Tweak the plan as needed. Good luck!

Thank you so much! I am anxious to get those last 3 pounds off as of today and keep it off!