Weightlifting: Shoulders

Options
What do you all consider appropriate weight amounts for women doing supersets and drop sets of shoulder exercises. It feels like hell when I'm doing them so I THINK I'm using enough weight (start with 5 lbs, next set 8, next set 10. Sometimes 20 lbs depending on the type of exercise), but I wasn't sure.

Replies

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Forgive me for asking, but what are shoulder exercises?
  • ForStMicheal
    ForStMicheal Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    you'll want to choose a rep range based on your goals. then you choose a weight that has you at least approaching failure in the rep range.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    What are your goals with your lifting program? If it is strength, then the weight should be sufficient that you can just get 3 - 8 reps of a given exercise for 3 - 5 sets. I’ll do five sets of five of standing shoulder press at a given weight.

I’ll typically get the full five reps on the first three or four sets and struggle with the last two reps on the last set. Once I can comfortably get five good form reps for the full five sets, I’ll add 5 lbs next time.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you get done, and could do it all again if you needed to, it's too light.

As Allan stated, you should be doing weights that put you in the 3-8 (although I go with 6-12) range where you are taxed after the last rep in each set. Doesn't necessarily mean failure, but you should be getting close.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the lift. You should be able to use a lot more weight on an overhead press than you can on a lateral raise.

Don't worry about what others do, just focus on what you can do. Like others have said, If you get to your final set, and you can do more than the reps that you've set a goal to do, you need to increase the weight.
  • newport3158
    newport3158 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Shoulder are my weakest body part. Right now I'm currently at 20 lb dumbbell each arm or 40 lb barbell for shoulder presses and military presses for 10 reps. I do internal rotations using the cable machines at 25 lbs, 10 reps. Ummm, my lateral raise weight still sucks, I can manage 15lbs by doing single arm, but when I do both arms together I have to use 10-12.5 lbs. I can do these 12-15 reps but only 10 reps with the 15s. Umm, what else, external rotations, 8-10 lbs 10-12 reps, oh and bent over lateral raises are usually done with 7.5-10lbs both arms at a time 10-12 reps. Usually 3-4 sets is all I can manage in these rep ranges.
  • newport3158
    newport3158 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Oh and for drop sets I start high and go lower trying to increase reps as I drop.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with Newport, start with the heavier weight and drop down. 2 Drops is good enough and don't do them for more than 2 weeks or you could be headed for overtraining.