Quick low calorie recipes

Options
Hi there, I'm new at this and finding things difficult, I am dissabled and have 2 young children, so I am perminantly exhausted and have very little time! I am looking for any taisty, family friendly and QUICK recipes you have.
Thanks
Kirsty

Replies

• mykidsrock601
    mykidsrock601 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That looks good
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Look for crock pot recipes

Taco chicken - place boneless, skinless chicken (breast, thighs whatever) in a crockpot, sprinkle with taco seasoning. Pour salsa on top. Cook on low 8 hours / high 4 hours. Sprinkle with cheese and serve. OR you can shred the meat (sans cheese) with 2 forks.....nice for seasoned meat for tacos, taco salad, etc. Freeze half for future use.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I also echo the sentiment to serve crock pot recipes. You can have the crock pot loaded up when you have some energy, turn it on, and leave it. My family asks for seconds of these:

Pulled Pork

Black Bean Chili

White Chili
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    My kids love:

Slice up 1 polish sausage per person (just into coins), fry in a dry fry pan until a bit browned. Add 1 cup water and cover. Simmer about 5-6 minutes until done. Open lid and dump in a bag of frozen broccoli. Recover (add a bit more water if its all gone). Allow to steam for 5-10 minutes. Open, pour off excess water. Top with a handful of grated cheese. Cover until melted. serve. YUM!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Also, research "dump" recipes. Basically you do a bit of meal prep ahead of time (dump all the ingredients into a bog and toss it in the freezer), then just dump the freezer bag into an oven dish/fry pan/crockpot/whatever it calls for and cook. Super easy, and not as time intensive as once a month cooking.
  • smokeyser
    Options
    Check out stir fry recipes. They're super easy and fast. Chop up any meat and brown it. Add sesame oil and some veggies (whatever kind you like, but broccoli really rocks in stir fry!) and let em cook for a couple minutes until they start to soften a bit. Then toss in some cooked rice and soy sauce and toss it a few times until the rice is fully coated in goodness. Total cooking time with prep: ~15 minutes.

Once you have the ingredients and get a feel for the seasoning, asian recipes tend to be really quick and most are pretty low in calories as long as you're not deep-frying anything.