DEXA Body Scan - Shed Fat, Not Weight

Options
This is incredibly interesting! I suggest everyone looking to shed any unwanted pounds takes a look at the video below. Towards the end - it talks about his comparison with another man.

Jamie Aldertons DEXA BodyScan RESULTS!: http://youtu.be/JD6DUYZPAmU

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    23 minutes?

Can you give a précis please
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Summary :-

Dexa is "gold standard" for body composition.

Leanest guy 13.5% body fat

Tallest guy they've had

need to be centred on table and still

scan takes a couple of minutes or less

analysis takes longer - https://youtu.be/JD6DUYZPAmU?t=303

10.4 kilos of fat, very little, 12.3% body fat. Best seen in 6 weeks in London. Lowest 2% compared to test database of US subjects.

27.8 BMI due to muscle.

A few hundred grams only of visceral fat.

Fat mass index 3.63 (not defined)

http://www.bodyscanuk.com/

3.8kg of bone (skeleton) - quite heavy
    71kg of fat free (lean) mass
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I've had one. The results were that my ideal body fat % meant that my ideal weight is 75kg which is 4 kg above the top weight of my BMI range. I apparently have above average muscle mass for a woman. It was very enlightening although they give you these x-ray images of the scan in which you can see your skeleton and then your muscle and then all this puffy white fat around everything (assuming you are overweight) which made me look like I am wearing a giant fat suit (which I am). It also tells you how much visceral fat you have. I plan to have another when I get to 75kg and see what the results are.
  • BeckiSwim19
    BeckiSwim19 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Summary :-

Good summary! It was the bit at the end that I found most interesting

A guy lost 7kilo over the space of 3 months. If he'd have gone to a doctor he would have been told to continue what he was doing

In actual fact he had lost 6.5kilo of muscle!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Dexa scans come with all kinds of error bars. The unfortunate reality is that even the "gold standard" for fat analysis isn't super accurate.

One day....!
  • BeckiSwim19
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Dexa scans come with all kinds of error bars. The unfortunate reality is that even the "gold standard" for fat analysis isn't super accurate.

One day....!

That's my dissertation focus sorted! I'm on the job haha!!

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

One day....!

That's my dissertation focus sorted! I'm on the job haha!!

It's a great topic - lots of room for improvement and advancement!

:drinker:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've had a dexa, and i've also used the bodpod. :)

I'm not sure where you might be able to get yours done, but i had mine done at the Memorial Hermann Iron Man Sports Medicine Institute, where my orthopedic surgeon was.

They offer a la carte performance testing.

I'd look to see if theres a place in your area that offers it.

I paid a total of $250.00 for both of these to be done as they are not covered by insurance.

Also, this was a few years ago. But it is the entire reason i switched to lifting weights and cutting my cardio. I had a significant amount of fat, after i reached my initial "goal weight" at 27% and 118 pounds and 5'4.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Yeah, and worth every penny, right?
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    It kills me to see how much money people are making off of people who want to lose weight, quit smoking, etc. Nicorette has been around for at least 35 years (which is the age of my son, when I decided to quit but didn't) and it's STILL around. If it worked, nobody would be smoking. Stop looking for a quick fix, people. Just DO IT!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    It kills me to see how much money people are making off of people who want to lose weight, quit smoking, etc. Nicorette has been around for at least 35 years (which is the age of my son, when I decided to quit but didn't) and it's STILL around. If it worked, nobody would be smoking. Stop looking for a quick fix, people. Just DO IT!

I don't think anyone would consider a Dexa scan as a quick fix, it doesn't do anything to help you lose weight. I would consider it a tool for someone who really wanted to know their BF percentage and who cared about lowering it to a certain level. If someone is interested enough to want to pay for it, and it will help motivate them on their journey, I don't see any problem with it.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I'm personally going to ask my GP for a DEXA order at my physical this fall. I've been recommended to have a baseline bone density scan, and I figure I should ask for the DEXA in that context. According to my OB radiologist, I've got 10+ years until menopause (I have a cyst on an ovary they are monitoring, and they keep telling me my ladynuts look 10 years younger than they are. Boo, I don't need them anymore.)
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    A DEXA scan helps you lose weight in the same way a scale helps you lose weight . Or a thermometre helps you recover from the flu. It's just a tool to measure.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

How is a Dexa a "quick fix" in any way, shape, or form? Please explain your rationale because I'm not seeing it.
  • BeckiSwim19
    Options

I don't think anyone would consider a Dexa scan as a quick fix, it doesn't do anything to help you lose weight. I would consider it a tool for someone who really wanted to know their BF percentage and who cared about lowering it to a certain level. If someone is interested enough to want to pay for it, and it will help motivate them on their journey, I don't see any problem with it.

I agree. This would purely be for personal interest. Within my swimming squad they conduct skin fold testing. Although it may be free, I do not accept the results. It doesn't represent body fat percentage well due to subjectivity of who takes the measurements, the tool used etc.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    (which is the age of my son, when I decided to quit but didn't)

Just DO IT!

So you tried to quit smoking but didn't?

And then you tell people to just do it?

Seems a bit contradictory

I'm not a smoker but those smoking patches sound like they would be helpful for someone with a bit of will power and planning. So they aren't going cold turkey.

Like how people suggest small changes when starting to eat healthy, like cutting down on fizzy drinks etc

Instead of going from 4000 cal of pizza and junk a day to 2000 fruit and veg and lean meats over night.

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Do you even know what a Dexa scan is? I'm guessing not.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I had a dexa scan done when I had a bone density test. it cost $50. I am 163 cm and was 49 kilos then. I had more fat than muscles by a mile. I have since taken up exercising 5 x a week and incorporating some light weights too. I will go back in 2 years to check bone density again. I have begun supplements as I am in a high risk category. Dexan scan is the best way we have to see how we are tracking
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

@atypicalsmith DEXA isn't a quick fix…

It's a tool used to determine body fat % and LBM. It doesn't miraculously shed the pounds.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind getting one of these scans. But more when I get closer to my goal weight.

I hope I'm not losing muscle too much. I do cardio and some strength training and I keep putting my weights up every other week or so, suggests to me I'm gaining a little muscle at least.

According to my super "accurate" scale I have 30% body fat which if my math is correct, if I was to get to about 15-17% body fat I would be like 90kg which I think is above the healthy weight ranges I see.

Having a more accurate bf% would let me be more accurate in my goal.

I don't want to get down to the healthy weight range and find I lost 5-10kg of muscle to do it.