steps per day

Options
2»

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Cripes. I can only get a couple hundred in on my stair stepper. Doesn't anyone have a life outside the exercise room here?
    Pedometer steps. I use Breeze from Runkeeper.

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    10,000 is just a recommendation intended to increase the activity levels of an ever sedentary population. There is no magic to it and the science shows that 10,000 is not enough to account for significant weight loss on its own. As part of a larger exercise and reasonable food plan, it helps.

Well actually weight loss is 80% eating at a calorie deficit (some people say an even higher percent).

I have had a fit bit for a little over 2 years. I struggled to get 10K at first. Now my daily goal is between 18K - 20K. Between the gym (70 minutes), and a walk (50 minutes) before work, I have almost 15K today already (10 am). I work in an office and am on maintenance. I am 63 years old. Was sedentary 3 years ago when I joined MFP and have lost over 1/2 of my present body weight. If I can do this, anyone with no medical issues can.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    My office building has 3 flights of stairs, my house has 12 steps total. I'm guessing I do about 50 - 90 steps a day.

Were do you people get these 10,000 steps? The empire state building only has 1,576 steps.

29x4l4.jpg

:wink:
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I attempt to hit 10,000 every work day. Usually this means spending some time on the treadmill at night before bed (at least half an hour). I work a very sedentary office job, and I do go to the gym at lunch time. I commute via bus/transit, so I get a few steps in there, but yeah. Unless you walk to work or work on your feet, it's not easy! :) Doable, but not easy.
  • denielle715
    denielle715 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I started c25k and that's definitly helping with getting my steps in. on the days I don't do c25k, I've been walking in the mornings after taking my kids to school (we walk their since we live so close). Good for me, and the kids!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The 10,000 does include exercise steps. For me personally that's a lot of steps, so my goal is 7,500. Everyone is different. Good luck!

This^

Wearing a pedometer helps you estimate your activity level, that's not the same as exercise. Some people do track brisk walking as exercise, with a total goal of 10,000 steps.

10,000 is a lot of steps. Most people start out with a number much smaller with a goal to improve their level of activity. FitBits (and other activity trackers) are great for pushing you to move more.

I was shocked to see how few steps I took in a day, I had always assumed it was more.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I strive for 10,000 steps a day but I make sure this includes my exercise activity. I usually easily hit 10,000 even with a desk job. Weekends are a little harder but I usually make it at least one day on the weekend. I just upgraded to fitbit charge hr.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit for this exact reason!
    I used to/still do live a pretty sedentary life.
    My average steps per day is around 8k. But I'm striving for 10k daily. With a gradual increase over time.

I started with 5k set.
    Now I'm at a 7,500 goal. (And achieving, so it'll be increased to 10k on Sunday)

Nice progress!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    10,000 is just a recommendation intended to increase the activity levels of an ever sedentary population. There is no magic to it and the science shows that 10,000 is not enough to account for significant weight loss on its own. As part of a larger exercise and reasonable food plan, it helps.

Well actually weight loss is 80% eating at a calorie deficit (some people say an even higher percent).

I have had a fit bit for a little over 2 years. I struggled to get 10K at first. Now my daily goal is between 18K - 20K. Between the gym (70 minutes), and a walk (50 minutes) before work, I have almost 15K today already (10 am). I work in an office and am on maintenance. I am 63 years old. Was sedentary 3 years ago when I joined MFP and have lost over 1/2 of my present body weight. If I can do this, anyone with no medical issues can.

Excellent! Good for you. Just being more active and walking as much as possible is one of the best things you can do for your health.
  • ErikThaRed
    ErikThaRed Posts: 139 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have an UP24 to count my steps. My goal every day is 7500, but thats mainly because I work a desk job and its hard to get away to get the steps in. I do go for walks everyday on my lunch break and that usually helps me get in my steps, but I have only ever gone over 10,000 a few times. I've been looking at getting a better fitness band, this is starting to fall apart after only 3.5 months. Looking at getting the Samsung Gear S. More of a smart watch, but includes a pedometer, heart rate monitor and estimated calories burned, among other cool things.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    lsboulton wrote: »
    I am confused. How many steps are we supposed to do in a day??

The real answer is as many as you can

• Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I started with 8500. Today I walked 4.12 miles. My misfit shine said I walked 10208 steps. I am aiming for 5 miles. I don't know that step count yet.
  • khristiana
    khristiana Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit as well, and when I first started using it (about 3 months ago) I set my steps at 5,000 steps, and I'm just now up to the goal of 6,500/day. But with working out and doing extra walking, I'm consistently hitting 10,000-14,000 steps a day!

:smile:
  • norcalbeezy
    norcalbeezy Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Everyone that has a fitbit feel free to add me :)
    juliemolina_414@Hotmail.com
  • Wreathy
    Wreathy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I walk in my 15 minutes breaks - I walk 25 minutes to public transport twice a day. I get 10k steps on those days usually, including additional steps walking around office/home. I go for long walks (hour plus) in the weekend to get to 10k, otherwise I don't get much at all. A fitbit/pedometer will help monitor it for you.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Today I started looking at my daily steps in a little different way...... I'm a shorty so it takes me 2514 steps per mile. I normally get between 8000 and 13,500 steps a day depending. At 8,500 steps, this is 3.36 miles for my stride length. If I only walk 8,500 steps each day in April (30 days) this will equal a grand total of 100.6 MILES walked in one month!!! How crazy is that :) Kinda put my overall steps into a completely new context, LOL.
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I just started tracking my steps but do not include exercise in my goal. Tricks I've found for making myelf take extra steps...

Put the laundry basket a few steps away from the machine when loading & unloading. And from the dresser or closet too when putting away.

Leave the remote across the room.

Leave dinner in the kitchen so I have to walk from the table to get it or seconds!

While waiting for coffee to brew, microwave, etc take a walk around the table.

Anything I can do to force myself extra steps- carrying one thing at a time so I have to walk back a forth!

Good luck everyone and happy stepping!
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    10,000 steps is the general rule of thumb for avoiding sedentary but it's not very much. My Fitbit goal is officially 10,000 steps but I use that as a minimum and usually try to get to at least 15K.