Jogging stroller tips and recommendations

Options
I'm in search of the right jogging stroller for me, but I'm having a terrible time sorting through the options and reviews. So many people complain that one doesn't turn well in the mall for example. I don't need a mall stroller. I need a stroller for jogging.

Any runners have any tips or specific recommendations?

Fixed wheel a yes? I hear its great for keeping a straight run, but does it still allow you to turn street corners or handle curves on a recreation path?
Is an adjustable handlebar necessary?
Other tips?

I have a 2.5 year old and will be mostly on pavement for runs 5k and under.

Replies

• HillOE
    HillOE Posts: 61 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I love my chariot, but I needed something I could tow on a bike as well as run with. It's a great running stroller for me, big wheels and relatively light weight. I like the fixed wheel and haven't had a problem on curvier paths, lift front wheel, turn as needed. I don't feel like I'm pushing along the extra 30 lbs of "coach" with me.

The handle is adjustable, but my husband and I are about the same height (5-10) and keep the height the same. It also has decent clearance for your legs, so I never feel like I'm going to run into the stroller. I'd avoid something with smaller wheels or none inflatable wheels.

My non multisport friends/friends with more house space to store multiple strollers swear by their Bob's. I think an IronMan friend has the Bob IronMan stroller and she's on her 2nd child and I've lost count of how many IMs she's done since the first child.
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I often had 2 strollers- one for the car/ shopping trips, and one for exercise. The jogging stroller we have is an older model safety first. The front wheel doesn't swivel which is fine with me as that means it can handle more rugged conditions- gravel/ rocky trails, sand etc. Look for something with bike style tires (air filled) and that has a hand brake for the downhills.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    BOB Revolution! Really great to run with - no problems/complaints. I much prefer the swiveling front wheel but I always run on pretty curvy, hilly terrain.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    BOB Revolution = incredible.

You could get by with one of the lower priced BOB strollers with a fixed front wheel, but I really like the option to go back and forth. I do usually put it in a fixed position for runs (it's so lightweight and easy to steer that curved paths don't bother me, I just press down a little when I need to turn and lift up the front wheel) though I've run both ways. It's great for off-trail use as well.

My son is five and I still push him in it for runs, though we haven't used it for other purposes in years.

You can steer easily with one hand, it's honestly a dream to push. Bonus: they hold resale value really well.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I would look for one that has an option to lock front wheel. I have never used a hand brake. I also second the recommendation of wheels that can be filled with compressed air. A decent canopy that stays put while running is a must. I had a bob but I could never get it to go straight no matter how much I adjusted it. It was very heavy and unweikdy. I then got a baby trend which was cheap and light weight. I now have a grace which I love and is easy to fold and store.
  • fitnessgoddess17
    fitnessgoddess17 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    What about stride help? Everything changes when I try to run with my baby jogger. Last week I got a blister in a weird spot under my toe. WTH? I can't even imagine what I did to get it there.
  • akirkman86
    akirkman86 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm currently jogging with a City Mini, which isn't even technically a jogging stroller. I HATE running with the stroller, but I"m not sure how much of that is the stroller versus it's just easier to run without pushing a 30+ lb child! Is it worth spending the extra money for a Bob? I can get a used fixed wheel one for pretty cheap. I only need it for running as I can still use the City Mini for the mall or whatever.

Can anyone weigh in? Is it really THAT much easier to push a jogging stroller? Trying to decide whether I want to drop the money when I'll just have two kids within 12-18 months and have to turn around and buy a double :#
  • fitnessgoddess17
    fitnessgoddess17 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have a jogging stroller and for me it's still hard but I'm sure it's way better than a regular stroller.
  • bc119
    bc119 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Where I live (in Canada) the BOB strollers start at $550 (not including any extras or attachments) so I ended up buying a Graco ClickConnect Fast Action jogger for $200 (on sale and with a coupon) - it would likely be cheaper assuming you are in the US. What I like about it is that it glides like a dream (compared to my smaller, existing stroller) and has some of the "higher end" features of the more expensive strollers - like a lockable front swivel wheel. I read online that a swivel wheel is good for walking (for maneuverability) and fixed wheel is for jogging (for safety). Not sure how accurate this is.

I would say adjustable handlebars would be necessary depending on your height. My Graco does not have adjustable handlebars but at an average height (5'6") I find them to be just right height. If you are tall or petite then you may want to find one with them.

The weight of the stroller itself you may want to consider. Jogging strollers on their own are naturally bulky - one complaint about my Graco jogger is that it is 30 lbs so it is quite heavy (whereas other joggers like the BOBs are closer to 21 lbs, I believe). Take into consideration if you plan to travel with it in your vehicle or if it will fit in the trunk of your vehicle.

Hope this helps even just a little - I agree there is an overwhelming amount of information out there! I was really torn between the higher end (expensive) strollers and something more affordable. If you plan to run with it daily then perhaps investing in a BOB is a good idea but if it is for an occasional run here & there then there are some great budget-friendly options out there! :-)
  • rianoel
    rianoel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    akirkman86 wrote: »
    I'm currently jogging with a City Mini, which isn't even technically a jogging stroller. I HATE running with the stroller, but I"m not sure how much of that is the stroller versus it's just easier to run without pushing a 30+ lb child! Is it worth spending the extra money for a Bob? I can get a used fixed wheel one for pretty cheap. I only need it for running as I can still use the City Mini for the mall or whatever.

Can anyone weigh in? Is it really THAT much easier to push a jogging stroller? Trying to decide whether I want to drop the money when I'll just have two kids within 12-18 months and have to turn around and buy a double :#

Yes.
  • rianoel
    rianoel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bob revolution really is the best. I have the one with the adjustable handle bar, which is great because I am short. I'm a walker, not a runner, but we average about 25 miles a week. This is my third jogger (6th stroller) and by far the best. If I had known about it before baby was born, it would have been my only stroller. This is a case of you get what you pay for. My husband does run with it, and loves it too. We use it on sidewalks and dirt/gravel paths. Also sometimes on sand.
  • WhitneySpeicher
    WhitneySpeicher Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have the BOB sport utility. It works pretty well, but the handlebars don't adjust. Which is a little uncomfortable for me because I'm only 5'0". It might be fine if you are a few inches taller. If I hadn't found mine at a garage sale, I would have sprung for the BOB revolution since it looks like it's handlebars adjust and you can lock the wheel in place or let it swivel.
  • dterpsy
    dterpsy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My youngest is almost 9, so it's a while since I used any kind of stroller, but I will second the love for the Chariot. I had it for the same reason as HillOE - I wanted something I could also use with my bike. The adjustable handle was great for us because I'm 5'4 and my husband is 6'1 - bit of a difference!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks. A lot to consider. I'm a tad reluctant to spend too much money as I already have a lot invested in a regular stroller and baby carriers, and I won't be using it daily. But I don't want to spend half the money of a decent one and not be able to use it at all.

Thanks for the feedback on the handle height. I'm 5'5" so I'm probably fine, but I do know that an adjustable handle was key for my regular stroller. I like it higher. I am undecided about fixed/swivel wheels. I'll be jogging with it, but I'm a slow runner.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the Bob revolution. I didn't want to spend money to buy both a regular stroller and a running one so I went with this. It has the option to switch the wheel from swivel to fixed (you are really supposed to use fixed when running, it's a safety thing).
    I had read reviews that said it wasn't good as an everyday stroller and some that said it was fine. I love it. Zero complains. I can get it in the trunk of my civic easily, it maneouvers well and it's very light. It is limited on storage space for an everyday stroller but that's understandable since it is intended to be a jogging stroller and most people aren't looking for storing stuff.
    It's also well built, has shocks and is fine for longer runs.
    The chariot is also a very good option but for me it couldn't be used as a regular stroller so it was not an option.
    akirkman86 wrote: »

Like night and day. My friend has a lower end jogging stroller and it isn't sen comparable. I couldn't run with hers
    People told me to get a double stroller anyway and use the extra space to store stuff when you only have one. I didn't but it's an idea.
    Wow thanks. A lot to consider. I'm a tad reluctant to spend too much money as I already have a lot invested in a regular stroller and baby carriers, and I won't be using it daily. But I don't want to spend half the money of a decent one and not be able to use it at all.

Thanks for the feedback on the handle height. I'm 5'5" so I'm probably fine, but I do know that an adjustable handle was key for my regular stroller. I like it higher. I am undecided about fixed/swivel wheels. I'll be jogging with it, but I'm a slow runner.

check for a second hand one. I couldn't find any near me but I'm on vacation and just saw a double Bob in a second hand shop for $100! If I wasn't flying home I'd buy it just to have.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Bob Revolution. I tried a less expensive one and the damn thing wouldn't go 'straight'. You need a fixed wheel while running (you lift up front wheel to turn corners), but if the stupid thing won't go straight when the wheel is fixed, it's pretty useless. We got the first cheaper one replaced as defective, and the second one they argued with so I got my CC company to return that money. Then I bought a Bob. Infinitely better.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I will say, even with the Bob, I don't enjoy running with a stroller. It messes with my stride. Luckily, my husband doesn't mind it, so he gets the kid LOL. And our kid is now a 40 lb. 5 year old and still easy to push and comfy in the Bob.
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have a BOB Revolution that I love. It's understandable if you don't want to spend the cash on an expensive jogging stroller, but I'd rather have a used BOB than a new Wal-Mart stroller that isn't as nice to run with.
  • Willbrown1972
    Willbrown1972 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also have the BOB Sport Utility- bought it used from a friend. I have done a few runs with it and like it a lot. Going to take my daughter out for her first 5K race next month. =D