Treadmill HRMs

Options
Hey guys!
I like to do HIIT sprints on the treadmill for like 20 minutes, 2 times a week. I've been trying to monitor that I'm hitting 90-95% of my max (and it certainly feels like it!) and I used the online calculator to figure out the number but the treadmill screen number seems too low.... It takes like 45 seconds to a minute for the number to show up (and I hold onto it the sensors right after my sprint intervals, so it basically takes my entire fast walking minute to think about what my hr is, and then tells me right before I sprint again). Is this number what my heart rate has cooled down to in that minute that it is thinking, or is it the heart rate that I have directly after my sprint? Is it even accurate? Thanks so much for any help. :)

Replies

• robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If you do a lot of HIIT then your heart rate could come back down to a moderate level within that 45 second window. I do HIIT myself with 1 minute 30 second intervals between. My heart rate often drops back down to 130 BPM in that 90 seconds.

If you want to get the most accuracy, invest in an HRM with a chest strap. They are uncomfortable at fist but you'll get used to it. And most cardio machines automatically sink to them and display your heart rate throughout the entire duration of your exercise; hence no more grabbing the hand sensors. And it HAS to be a chest strap because the strapless ones don't display your heart rate at all times nor are they as accurate. You can pick up a Polar FT7 on Amazon for about $70. I had one which lasted about two years of training about 4-6 days a week. The sensor did finally crap out on me but that's not surprising with such heavy use. I also wasn't as meticulous as the manufacturer recommended with cleaning and maintenance. Besides, the sensor can be replaced for about $30-$40 which isn't bad IMO when only paying every two years.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have been told by many that the heart rate monitors on the machines are inaccurate. I run by feel but have used a heart rate monitor in the past and it seemed to do well.
  • robdel302
    Options
    Curt911 wrote: »
    I have been told by many that the heart rate monitors on the machines are inaccurate. I run by feel but have used a heart rate monitor in the past and it seemed to do well.

Just to piggyback, I used to wear an HRM and Bodymedia to track calories. Both were relatively close when it came to estimated calories burned. But cardio machines were always DRASTICALLY OVERESTIMATING calories burned when compared to the two devices; even with my HRM synced to the cardio machine. I'd rather believe the hard data of devices strapped to me than what a machine estimates through equations. I bet those machines have caused a lot of stalled progress because people thought they burned more than they really did.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I did treamdill sprints this morning and I do wear my HRM. I never look at the calories burned on the treadmill but I do like to see where my heartrate is at at varying speeds. Mine syncs to the treadmill automatically.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!
    I like to do HIIT sprints on the treadmill for like 20 minutes, 2 times a week. I've been trying to monitor that I'm hitting 90-95% of my max (and it certainly feels like it!) and I used the online calculator to figure out the number but the treadmill screen number seems too low.... It takes like 45 seconds to a minute for the number to show up (and I hold onto it the sensors right after my sprint intervals, so it basically takes my entire fast walking minute to think about what my hr is, and then tells me right before I sprint again). Is this number what my heart rate has cooled down to in that minute that it is thinking, or is it the heart rate that I have directly after my sprint? Is it even accurate? Thanks so much for any help. :)

How does the machine know what your HR is? If you're holding the treadmill, you're burning up to 25% less calories than you would otherwise (I assume that's how you got your HR numbers), so if you want to get the most out of your workout, you probably don't want to do that....

Second, treadmills just give an approximation and are often completely off (what I find amusing is that people say they overestimate calories, but when I compared to my HRM two years ago it was actually underestimating by 20% for me, but I haven't tried since).
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    HRMs for anything interval-y (eg HIIT) will massively over-estimate. As will machines using your heart rate.

HRMs - or any heart-rate based calculation - should never be used for HIIT. If you absolutely insist on misusing a device like that, then start by taking the lowest number you can coax out of the thing and cut it in half.
  • eisterunicorn
    eisterunicorn Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Hey guys!

How does the machine know what your HR is? If you're holding the treadmill, you're burning up to 25% less calories than you would otherwise (I assume that's how you got your HR numbers), so if you want to get the most out of your workout, you probably don't want to do that....

Second, treadmills just give an approximation and are often completely off (what I find amusing is that people say they overestimate calories, but when I compared to my HRM two years ago it was actually underestimating by 20% for me, but I haven't tried since).

like I said , I held it for my rest interval. I'm not concerned with calorie burn, just heart rate

• eisterunicorn
    Options
    robdel302 wrote: »
    If you do a lot of HIIT then your heart rate could come back down to a moderate level within that 45 second window. I do HIIT myself with 1 minute 30 second intervals between. My heart rate often drops back down to 130 BPM in that 90 seconds.

If you want to get the most accuracy, invest in an HRM with a chest strap. They are uncomfortable at fist but you'll get used to it. And most cardio machines automatically sink to them and display your heart rate throughout the entire duration of your exercise; hence no more grabbing the hand sensors. And it HAS to be a chest strap because the strapless ones don't display your heart rate at all times nor are they as accurate. You can pick up a Polar FT7 on Amazon for about $70. I had one which lasted about two years of training about 4-6 days a week. The sensor did finally crap out on me but that's not surprising with such heavy use. I also wasn't as meticulous as the manufacturer recommended with cleaning and maintenance. Besides, the sensor can be replaced for about $30-$40 which isn't bad IMO when only paying every two years.

Very helpful reply, thanks. I will look into that.
  • eisterunicorn
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    HRMs for anything interval-y (eg HIIT) will massively over-estimate. As will machines using your heart rate.

HRMs - or any heart-rate based calculation should never be used for HIIT. If you absolutely insist on misusing the device like that, then start by taking the lowest number you can coax out of the thing and cut it in half.

If you're talking about something estimating calories sure, but that's not what I'm asking... If you're talking about it estimating heart rate, then I don't get it.... I'm asking about heart rate because I'm trying to get to at least 90% of my max for these sprints.
  • eisterunicorn
    Options
    Curt911 wrote: »

Thanks! Yeah I'm considering in investing in one after what I'm hearing. Good to know the machines are inaccurate because I totally feel like I'm gonna die after my sprints lol
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

HRMs - or any heart-rate based calculation should never be used for HIIT. If you absolutely insist on misusing the device like that, then start by taking the lowest number you can coax out of the thing and cut it in half.

If you're talking about something estimating calories sure, but that's not what I'm asking... If you're talking about it estimating heart rate, then I don't get it.... I'm asking about heart rate because I'm trying to get to at least 90% of my max for these sprints.

Gotcha. I was talking about estimating calories.

:drinker:

When I want to track HR, I use a chest-strap Polar. IME, machines have tracking issues, and holding on to the handles/bars to make contact with the metal strips interferes with the mechanics of the exercise.

• Solkre2
    Solkre2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar H7 Bluetooth Smart Heart Rate Sensor and it syncs with my iPhone (or Android) to record my entire workout. Then it uploads to the polar website where I can compare and analyze the data.

In the app you can set your max heart rate, and change it to % mode so you can chase whatever % you want!
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I concur with those who suggest HRM for heart rate determination. I used to exercise by how I 'felt' during the workout. That turned out to be pretty sketchy for me. There are times when I feel like I'm working very hard and my HR will be at 140. Other days, a 140 HR feels like a walk in the part. It probably has to do with the quality of rest (sleep) and fuel I had before the exercise. So, in my opinion, I think the HRM has been a more accurate representation than "how hard I think I worked".
  • eisterunicorn
    Options

Gotcha. I was talking about estimating calories.

:drinker:

When I want to track HR, I use a chest-strap Polar. IME, machines have tracking issues, and holding on to the handles/bars to make contact with the metal strips interferes with the mechanics of the exercise.

Gotchaaa :) Okay, yeah I'm def gonna look into it. And I certainly get super frustrated with holding the stupid sensors... my husband sprints next to me and he can attest that sometimes I get so mad I start hitting the thing, LOL. It's SO slow
  • eisterunicorn
    Options
    Solkre2 wrote: »
    I use the Polar H7 Bluetooth Smart Heart Rate Sensor and it syncs with my iPhone (or Android) to record my entire workout. Then it uploads to the polar website where I can compare and analyze the data.

In the app you can set your max heart rate, and change it to % mode so you can chase whatever % you want!

FANCY! :D I want that!!! Adding it to my little 'research on amazon' list :D
  • eisterunicorn
    Options
    WandaMM1 wrote: »
    I concur with those who suggest HRM for heart rate determination. I used to exercise by how I 'felt' during the workout. That turned out to be pretty sketchy for me. There are times when I feel like I'm working very hard and my HR will be at 140. Other days, a 140 HR feels like a walk in the part. It probably has to do with the quality of rest (sleep) and fuel I had before the exercise. So, in my opinion, I think the HRM has been a more accurate representation than "how hard I think I worked".

That's interesting! :open_mouth:
    I usually sprint at 9.5 mph on an incline of 1.0
    Are you saying that even if I workout at this speed every time, my heartrate will vary each time? Very interesting! I would love to hear more about this.
    Haha and another reason to get an accurate HRM I see!
  • robdel302
    Options
    One of the bigger issues with HRM's is that you have to keep the sensor and strap clean. Too much salt buildup can really throw the thing off or cause it to not register at all. This is why you're "supposed" to clean it every two workouts or so. They tend to be on point with heart rate when properly maintained. The thing that they miscalculate is the calories burned. They're made for a steady pace for when someone is at a moderate intensity not when your hear rate is constantly spiking up and down. But if you aren't certain if the HRM is accurate just do it the old fashioned way and check our pules for 6 seconds. Count the amount of beats and multiply it by ten, that will give you a rough approximation of your beats per minute, then compare it to the HRM. The FT7 always matched when I did it that way.
  • Tortitudekitty
    Tortitudekitty Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have the H7 too and use it primarily to see my heart rate and to make sure I'm not slacking! Because as reported some days just seem easier than others.

I'm not too hot on quick calculating max HR percentage (especially when you are giving it your all!) so just for that it is invaluable, just to make sure I'm "on point" in the effort stakes and to see recovery.
    I use it on the treadmill HIIT, stationary rowing and when on outdoor brisk walking.

I'm not really interested in the calorie function.

I've had my H7 for a year now and it has worked perfectly. The strap gets rinsed after every use and washed every five uses or so with clothes wash (I use a non-bio so I'm not sure if that is better for it) so the strap doesn't get stiff with salt which will rub you badly.....it's fine!

Some people have complained that the battery life is poor but I have found this is not so, as long as you remember to remove the sensor from its popper mounts on the strap; that is what drains the battery if you leave it on the strap!
  • crfeen
    crfeen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use a polar fit HRM and it seems to be pretty accurate. The burn/heart rate on the machines always seems to be off compared to my HRM
  • eisterunicorn
    Options
    Wow you guys are throwing out great advice and tips everywhere! Thanks so much! I'm definitely taking notes:)