What to do when you get SICK?

Options
Ugh, this time of year is horrendous for allergies and flu, especially where I live, in Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas. I have been sick for the past couple weeks. I find it zaps my energy, so of course my exercise routine goes out the window first. Then, I often don't really have an appetite which is good, but then when it comes back it does so with a vengeance. What do you all do to keep from going off the rails when you get sick?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if its just allergies, take a claritin (or whatever your doc tells you to) and go on like normal.

if its sick sick (cold, flu, etc) rest and fluids and lay off the exercise (or at least lay off the gym or group classes ie: keep your germs to yourself)
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean by the appetite coming back,I try to eat a lot of protein and do best I can. It is always tough.
  • wannabefitgirl25
    wannabefitgirl25 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Im sick too now ughh. Just lots of rest, water, eat healthy probiotic foods, some yoga and stretching, no heavy exercises for me or else Ill feel really woozy! Oh and get well soon!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I can't really remember the last time I was sick. I had headaches, blocked noses etc but nothing I would consider sick or require time off work etc

Lucky me
  • kailadriel
    kailadriel Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Allergies/Non Contagious = business as usual
    Sick = eat at maintenance and rest
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I was sick for two weeks. I didn't exercise, I ate at my usual deficit calorie goal. I survived. Eat more protein, drink more fluids, and rest up. Your body wants to recuperate!
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I listen to my Ian Hunter album a million times, and ask my daughter for paper so I can write out my will and leave my keychain collection to her...

She makes me tea and lets me sleep. That pretty much covers it. I dont like taking medicine so thats off the table. I dont get sick often once in a year maybe...every couple years generally, and it doesnt last long, just 3 or 4 days of annoying the heck out of kiddo.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    When the appetite comes back, don't let it derail you - be prepared for it. :) Eat filling foods. Have some chicken soup while you're sick. It will help you feel better and it has protein. :)
  • tropicgran
    tropicgran Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't get sick except once every 1-2 years. But when I do, I don't exercise and I have an appetite that won't stop. Knock on wood I don't get sick during this weight loss crusade!
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I just got over a cold and a month ago the flu. I shoot for not more than one rest day, most two in a row. I DON'T try and go nuts but i will do light stationary bike a lot of stretching etc. Last year I had pneumonia and did the one day here and there rest and recovered faster than expected. I think sitting still just makes it worse.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    When I get sick I just want to sleep and sleep. I don't necessarily want to eat more. I might take a couple of days off from working out.