Why Water???

Options
I dont want to souds stupid, but I am new at this and really dont know why everyone is recommending to each other they increase their water consumption to loose weight? How much should I drink... and why does it help you loose weight? I would love to hear any success stories of someone increasing their water and loosing too!!
Thanks!!

Replies

• Plarmore
    Plarmore Posts: 17
    Options
    There are many reasons for drinking plenty of water even when you're not working out, but especially when you are. First of all, hydration. If you wait until you are thirsty to drink, you are already in the beginning stages of dehydration. Thirst is followed by fatigue then the symptoms increase in severity from there.

When trying to loose weight, it is even more important. First, during strenuous exercise, you perspire. If you don't replenish those fluids your body will retain any water it can. Drinking more than the recommended amounts of water ensures that your body will not feel the need to retain water. The last thing you want when hoping to loose weight is for your body to be holding on to excess water weight.

Next, I've read (sorry don't remember where) that when your body begins to burn fat, a toxin is released that inhibits the burning of more fat. The only way to prevent this is to drink enough water to flush this toxin out.

The exact amount of water will vary depending on the individual, the climate (temperature/humidity), and how strenuous your exercise on any given day. My intake (male, 6'1, 249) will range any where from 2 to 4 (on rare occasions 5) liters per day.
  • MommaBelvin
    MommaBelvin Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    your body needs the electrolytes in the water to help keep you going . . drinking 8 cups of water is the recommended amount of water to drink because if you work out on a daily basis you need that water to help you keep going. that and the water flushes out off the bad stuff inside you . . helps you go to the bathroom more and all that good stuff . . and your body is retaining water right now so when you are giving your body the water it needs it will know it will always have enough water so it doesnt need to hold onto so much . . hence losing water weight
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Best article on water I've ever read - addresses some of the myths about drinking water, and also explains why it's so important:
    http://www.experiencelifemag.com/issues/june-2010/health-wellness/drink-to-your-health.html
  • Vkoons3
    Vkoons3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am down about 5 lbs in three weeks...I drink alot of water everyday and try not to drink much of anything else but the biggest thing that I notice is I am not nearly as hungry as I was before when I didn't drink so much and alot of the time even though I pack my food for the day with my calorie allowance I tend to not eat all of the portion because of the water that I am drinking.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I dont want to souds stupid, but I am new at this and really dont know why everyone is recommending to each other they increase their water consumption to loose weight? How much should I drink... and why does it help you loose weight? I would love to hear any success stories of someone increasing their water and loosing too!!
    Thanks!!

It's calorie free and can make you feel full between meals. And, of course, there is the thirst quenching perk. But any type of non-caloric alcohol free liquid will do the same. You do not have to force down glasses and glasses of water a day if you don't want to. Personally I prefer tea most of the time. Same benefits plus has antioxidents.