Elevated Heart Rate Hours After Working Out

Options
crfeen
crfeen Posts: 85 Member
Hi everyone,
So the past 4 months, I've really been starting to get active. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and i usually try to at least do SOME sort of physical activity on the other days. At the gym, I usually do about an hour of strength and then around an hour of cardio at every session
My normal resting HR is somewhere around 75. I check it pretty regularly. During my normal cardio sessions, I get to somewhere around 175-180 BPM. But, HOURS after I work out (like 3-4 hours) my HR is still around 100 BPM.
Is this something to worry about? Is this normal? I have also noticed my heart skipping beats a few times a day lately. I plan on going to see a doctor, but I am just looking for some feedback in the meantime! Thanks!

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    No, that's not normal. If you are sitting down 4 hours after working out your heart rate should be back pretty close to resting, or at least within 10 beats or so.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Yes, see a doctor, sooner rather than later. It sounds like you’re overtraining, but it could be something else.
  • crfeen
    Options
    scottb81 wrote: »
    No, that's not normal. If you are sitting down 4 hours after working out your heart rate should be back pretty close to resting, or at least within 10 beats or so.

thanks for the input. the only thing i will say is that i generally am still walking for a bit after my workout, as i live in the city. so i am usually not sitting more than a half hour at a time, but by a half hour, i would think my HR would be down to about resting rate
  • crfeen
    Options
    Yes, see a doctor, sooner rather than later. It sounds like you’re overtraining, but it could be something else.

thanks for the input! What is overtraining?
  • scottb81
    Options
    Over training is when you are training too hard too often and your body is not recovering from the exercise. That can cause a chronically elevated heart rate.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    crfeen wrote: »

When we overstress our bodies, we go into a flight or fight mode (cortisol and adrenaline). If we are chronically in this state without proper recovery, we reach what is called adrenal fatigue. This can cause a host of physical issues such as racing heart rate, trouble sleeping, general fatigue, IBS, dizziness, headache, etc.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    See a doctor
  • crfeen
    Options
    crfeen wrote: »

When we overstress our bodies, we go into a flight or fight mode (cortisol and adrenaline). If we are chronically in this state without proper recovery, we reach what is called adrenal fatigue. This can cause a host of physical issues such as racing heart rate, trouble sleeping, general fatigue, IBS, dizziness, headache, etc.

woah, i actually have IBS too and it worsens when i work out....may have found my issue.
  • scottb81
    Options
    Take a few days of complete rest. If things start getting back to normal then you have it solved.

Then reevaluate your workout schedule. You will need to reduce the overall weekly intensity, or volume, or some combination of the two.

I imagine people here on MFP could help you with that.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    See a doctor to be on the safe side :)
  • crfeen
    Options
    scottb81 wrote: »
    Take a few days of complete rest. If things start getting back to normal then you have it solved.

Then reevaluate your workout schedule. You will need to reduce the overall weekly intensity, or volume, or some combination of the two.

I imagine people here on MFP could help you with that.

Thank you! I plan on taking a rest day tomorrow. I will go to the doctor just to see if there is any concern, but I have never had high blood pressure or anything,in fact its fairly low, so I think I'm safe
  • crfeen
    Options
    See a doctor to be on the safe side :)

Thank you! I will. I already made an appointment.