Woman Question... What do you do to curve cravings during that time? Ideas please!!!

Options
They say it takes 30 days to break a habit, and I find that eating healthier I no longer have regular cravings for chocolate or salt..... but then those three silly days before my period hit and I literally dream about chocolate and potato chips... has anyone found a way to stop this or is my best bet just trying to eat a healthy dark chocolate and baked chip option....thank you for any help!!!!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Save room for them. Exercise to eat more. I give myself a good 400 calories for dessert.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I eat what I like within my calories every day so I don't really have those cravings more than usual during that time.. and if I do, I just have a bit.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    You can go ahead and eat the wonderful chocolate and the salty chips - as long as you can fit them into your caloric allowance for that day.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I eat what I'd like within my calories, regardless of my menstrual cycle.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I allow myself whatever I want on Sundays. So the week before my period and I'm ravenous, I tell my brain 'you're not actually hungry, TOM just wants fed. Hold on until Sunday and I'll get us a Reese's egg.'

When I remind myself I'm not really hungry, I'm just emotionally hungry, it seems to help get food out of my head.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Make them fit into your allotment.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Ghirardelli sea salt soirée- 1 sq. is 50 calories of heaven!!! Takes care of sweet & salty & chocolate all at once - eat it slowly and savor the yum!!! Good luck! :)
  • LotusFlwr2013
    LotusFlwr2013 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    TiffanyR71 wrote: »
    Ghirardelli sea salt soirée- 1 sq. is 50 calories of heaven!!! Takes care of sweet & salty & chocolate all at once - eat it slowly and savor the yum!!! Good luck! :)

Oh yum indeed, but only one? :'(

Thank you everyone, good to know that most people aren't clean eating 24-7, just in moderation and still meeting their weight goals.

• LotusFlwr2013
    Options

My_Butt wrote: »
    When I remind myself I'm not really hungry, I'm just emotionally hungry, it seems to help get food out of my head.

I love this... Jedi mind trick?

w1cvc68yp1sp.jpg

• 77natalie77
    77natalie77 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am so happy someone asked this!!! My problem is that I tend to eat a very high fat diet, which suits me fine, but when that time of the month comes all I want are carbs. Like today, I ate cereal, a sandwich, a larabar, popcorn, and I'm going to have cake later (ugh I know!). I know tomorrow that I'll be able to bounce back to my usual diet, but I kind of wish these huge cravings would stop occurring. Normally its just best to accept it for what it is, especially since I'm eating a a pretty high deficit every day, but boy do I wish i could eat those extra calories I crave in the form of avacados and beans and coconut, not bread. I have a super hard time eating the food I crave and feeling full. Potato chips and chocolate kill me :(
    People gave good advice. I like the part about intentionally setting aside a high number of calories for dessert. Even though I didn't post this question, this is a very helpful post!
  • LotusFlwr2013
    Options
    Thank you Natalie, glad to know it helped someone else too... I just felt bad eating my four pieces of dove chocolate today like I was quitting already, but to know other people do this (within their calorie intake) and still meet their goals makes me feel better... o:)
  • My_Butt
    Options
    My_Butt wrote: »

I love this... Jedi mind trick?

w1cvc68yp1sp.jpg

Yes!!! Star Wars reference!
    Have I mentioned I'm a huge geek?
  • LotusFlwr2013
    Options
    LOL, no but geek or not who doesn't like Star Wars? Ok yeah I'm a geek too... expect random LOTR and marvel universe references as well.... B)
  • caradkunz
    Options
    HELP!! I am having horrible cravings and I don't know what to do!! I just started dieting and I am afraid I am going to fail. I need to lose 80 pounds to prevent some VERY serious health issues.
  • My_Butt
    Options
    LOL, no but geek or not who doesn't like Star Wars? Ok yeah I'm a geek too... expect random LOTR and marvel universe references as well.... B)

I'm a DC girl, myself. Major Batman fan.
  • jholloway05
    jholloway05 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sugar free chocolate works for me.

Also, when I need to pig out, I eat rice cakes with chocolate cream cheese. The calories aren't so bad. I've even eaten four of them in one sitting, and still stayed under calories for the day. I felt like I was being bad, and sometimes it feels good to be bad ;-)
  • My_Butt
    Options
    Sugar free chocolate works for me.

Also, when I need to pig out, I eat rice cakes with chocolate cream cheese. The calories aren't so bad. I've even eaten four of them in one sitting, and still stayed under calories for the day. I felt like I was being bad, and sometimes it feels good to be bad ;-)

I can eat a whole pack of rice cakes. In one of the few that actually thinks those things taste good.... I love the ones with chocolate chips. (That being said, I can't have them in the house cause I would eat every cake in one day.)
  • Feistiness72
    Feistiness72 Posts: 3,772 Member
    Options
    Skinny cow truffle bar 100 cal or fudge bar 110 cal. Just had 1 and I'm at end of my "time"
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I obey my cravings during that time, within my calorie goals, but I don't really think of them as cravings any more, per se. That seems to indicate something that's pulling you but shouldn't be...if that makes sense. And I just don't think of food in that way any more. Instead, I realize I want some foods some times, other food other times, and often without any rhyme or reason. And I'm pretty much good with that

I have my period right now and I'm having hot chocolate for my dessert. But I had a serious hankering for a giant salad earlier (who knows why - "salad" isn't on anybody's "typical PMS foods list," I shouldn't think). So I had both! And am satisfied.

Regardless of hormones, I seem to want certain things some days or some meals, other things other times and they run the gamut. Sweet, savory, bulky, light, spicy...who knows...when I want it, I eat it within my calorie goals and I think it all pretty much balances out at the end of the week or month.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I get totally ravenous before my TOM. I don't actually (TMI TMI) have a period (no not due to weight loss etc) but I still have all the hormonal effects of a cycle. So although I have no visible TOM I can track it pretty easily by those few days of ravenous cravings.

Usually I just eat at maintenance on those days :blush: and then I consider it a victory if I do that. I just get so haaaaaangry