Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Tialuna18 wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    See I can understand this being an issue if I actually consumed things really deemed unhealthy. Yes I tend to be over or at the brim of my sugar intake but I try to make sure it's natural sugars found in fruit or if anything Yogurt. I don't eat baked goods maybe once in a blue moon.

...... bread can be calorically dense. Fruit like grapes and bananas are calorically dense. Peanut butter is especially calorically dense, and chances are you're actually eating 1.5-2tbsp whenever you log 1tbsp because 1tbsp is really tiny when measured out with a measuring spoon.

Bread is a baked good.

I'm eating all the things you seem to think are bad for weight loss/management and yet I've lost over 31lbs. How much you eat matters, not what you eat, and weighing helps to ensure you are actually eating how much you think you are eating.
    Yes and if you were to read further into my diary you'd see bread is very much an on occasion meal choice. What your current weight is also plays into it. From what your profile picture shows you're heavier than I and like another poster here has stated the lower your current weight is the harder it can be to continue to lose. I used to be much heavier (in the 200's) and just cutting out a few things at that time led to a high weight loss. Now Im guessing since my percentage of fat has decreased I now will find it more relying on physical activity for weight loss/ body sculpting than dieting.

Eh. I'm smaller than both of you and I regularly eat baked goods and sweets. I did, however, find that I had to be more and more accurate with my diary the smaller I got.

But items like that are calorie dense and since you're not weighing it would be easier to underestimate if you're eating ice cream than if you're eating berries, just because ice cream has a lot more calories by volume.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    See I can understand this being an issue if I actually consumed things really deemed unhealthy. Yes I tend to be over or at the brim of my sugar intake but I try to make sure it's natural sugars found in fruit or if anything Yogurt. I don't eat baked goods maybe once in a blue moon.

...... bread can be calorically dense. Fruit like grapes and bananas are calorically dense. Peanut butter is especially calorically dense, and chances are you're actually eating 1.5-2tbsp whenever you log 1tbsp because 1tbsp is really tiny when measured out with a measuring spoon.

Bread is a baked good.

I'm eating all the things you seem to think are bad for weight loss/management and yet I've lost over 31lbs. How much you eat matters, not what you eat, and weighing helps to ensure you are actually eating how much you think you are eating.
    Yes and if you were to read further into my diary you'd see bread is very much an on occasion meal choice. What your current weight is also plays into it. From what your profile picture shows you're heavier than I and like another poster here has stated the lower your current weight is the harder it can be to continue to lose. I used to be much heavier (in the 200's) and just cutting out a few things at that time led to a high weight loss. Now Im guessing since my percentage of fat has decreased I now will find it more relying on physical activity for weight loss/ body sculpting than dieting.

Eh. I'm smaller than both of you and I regularly eat baked goods and sweets. I did, however, find that I had to be more and more accurate with my diary the smaller I got.

But items like that are calorie dense and since you're not weighing it would be easier to underestimate if you're eating ice cream than if you're eating berries, just because ice cream has a lot more calories by volume.

Exactly. I am not so careful when eating veggies as when it's steak, mayonnaise, peanut butter or blue cheese dressing.

OP, honestly, you asked for help and got a lot of "weigh your food" advice. It might not hurt to give it a try and see if you get better results. I'm betting you'll be a little surprised by how much variation there is in even packaged items. I know I was.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

None of that matters (unless you are diabetic, then your carbs matter). It is all about how many calories you eat vs how many you burn. What you eat, as opposed to how much, only makes a difference in nutrients.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    LetrellC wrote: »
    Tialuna, I have been seeing Internal Medicine docs and a nutritionist regularly for several years now. Not saying I'm an expert but I have learned what foods do what to me. Just an idea of what to try.....

1. Drop your sugar to 40g/day or less.
    2. Instead of the health bars, have a light greek yogurt. I have to have one a day. I use Yoplait 100 Greek Yogurt because it is lowest in sugar and contains protein.

I can eat anything I want to eat and am able to maintain my weight at 125. My calories are set at 1500. I rarely reach it and am eating all day long.

One thing to consider is that muscle weighs more than fat. That is what I have to be careful of when I exercise.....too much walking and and I will burn too many calories. I absolutely can NOT lose weight. Catch 22. I need to build up my large muscles while not losing weight...have to keep sugar down to prevent it converting to fat.

I just glanced at your diary. The only thing I saw on a quick note was you are over on sugar...without the restriction. Not saying to do as I do, just something to consider.

Thank you for sharing this with us! I'm looking forward to following your progress.

None of this matters for weight loss and will not help OP. Being under 40g of sugar doesn't magically prevent fat gain if one is still eating 3000 calories. And health bars, whatever those are, are FINE to consume.

You rarely reach 1500 because you are either ONLY eating very nutrient-dense food (in which case, boring, pass me some pizza!) or you are underestimating how much you are consuming.

If you want to build up muscle you need to be eating more than 1500 calories. You need to be eating ABOVE your maintenance needs. So probably upwards of 2000 calories.
    I'm going to have to disagree with you. I think Letrell is bringing up a good counter argument and what works for her might work for myself. Same as what works for you. I do tend to choose nutrient dense foods because I actually LIKE the taste of them I don't enjoy most sopping with grease foods and I'd rather feel full/ satisfied from a meal than eating one measly slice of pizza for the caloric intake of a more satisfying salad/soup. Again. there is the possibility for slight margin of error given I don't weigh my food but I assure you I do not lie on the measurements I do use.

You seem to be failing to understand that what she is saying is that low sugar intake and replacing a health bar with yogurt will mean you can lose weight. That's not how it works. It's about calories, not the specific food items you eat. I eat plenty of nutrient dense food, but that doesn't make up my entire diet because I enjoy things like peanut butter, other fat sources, meat, pasta, and low-nutrient foods.

I can eat 2 slices of pizza for less than 400 calories, which is less than a typical meal's worth of calories for me. Since it also has fat and can have extra protein if adding chicken (and the pizza usually isn't that greasy), it can be quite filling. Add a side salad for extra volume and that's even more filling.

And fwiw, I only find soup filling because I add a butt-ton of protein to it. If I just have normal soup, that's not very filling.
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Add more vegetables to your diet, as a start. People will go on and on about low calorie being low calorie but you aren't doing your body and its functioning any favours without sufficient nutrient support. Happy to discuss further via pm if you want.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is different for everyone. Try lowering your sugar as suggested and see if that works. Weight loss is not one size fits all as some insinuate. For some, lowering sugar/carbs may be more effective. Low carb/high fat works for me (keto). Keep researching and find what works for you - Good luck!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is different for everyone. Try lowering your sugar as suggested and see if that works. Weight loss is not one size fits all as some insinuate. For some, lowering sugar/carbs may be more effective. Low carb/high fat works for me (keto). Keep researching and find what works for you - Good luck!

The only way it's different is people's personal preferences. It absolutely is one size fits all. Calories in must be fewer than calories out. Some people prefer to achieve this in different ways, but a reduction in overall calories, however you get there, is the only way weight loss is achieved.

• Tialuna18
    Tialuna18 Posts: 9,592 Member
    Options
    I do see that I am getting the reoccurring response of weighing food which I'll definitely consider doing now. Thank you for those who are trying to help.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    The thing about doctors: My boyfriend's doctor recently told him that he needed to lose 100 lbs in 3 months by not eating bread. Case closed.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    LetrellC wrote: »
    Tialuna, I have been seeing Internal Medicine docs and a nutritionist regularly for several years now. Not saying I'm an expert but I have learned what foods do what to me. Just an idea of what to try.....

1. Drop your sugar to 40g/day or less.
    2. Instead of the health bars, have a light greek yogurt. I have to have one a day. I use Yoplait 100 Greek Yogurt because it is lowest in sugar and contains protein.

I can eat anything I want to eat and am able to maintain my weight at 125. My calories are set at 1500. I rarely reach it and am eating all day long.

One thing to consider is that muscle weighs more than fat. That is what I have to be careful of when I exercise.....too much walking and and I will burn too many calories. I absolutely can NOT lose weight. Catch 22. I need to build up my large muscles while not losing weight...have to keep sugar down to prevent it converting to fat.

I just glanced at your diary. The only thing I saw on a quick note was you are over on sugar...without the restriction. Not saying to do as I do, just something to consider.

Thank you for sharing this with us! I'm looking forward to following your progress.

Are you saying that walking burns so many calories that it renders you unable to lose weight? And that your muscles will convert into fat if you eat too much sugar?
  • Tialuna18
    Options
    I cant see myself trying to cut back calories much more than I already am. I've been told by doctor's to stop trying to decrease past what I've been doing. I really just think I need to work out more at this point. Just a matter of getting my strength back. Eating the way I was over the summer lead to extreme fatigue and problems focusing.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I cant see myself trying to cut back calories much more than I already am. I've been told by doctor's to stop trying to decrease past what I've been doing. I really just think I need to work out more at this point. Just a matter of getting my strength back. Eating the way I was over the summer lead to extreme fatigue and problems focusing.

Can I ask how tall you are and why you're trying to lose weight? It could very well be that you'd be better off focusing on body composition instead of weight at this point.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I hope you increase your calories if you're going to "work out" more. If you're already fatigued and having problems focusing due to your caloric intake then throwing exercise on top of that is a recipe for trouble.
  • Tialuna18
    Options

Can I ask how tall you are and why you're trying to lose weight? It could very well be that you'd be better off focusing on body composition instead of weight at this point.
    I'm 5'5 and In all honesty..I think I'd be okay at this weight if I didn't hold as much skin or stomach fat. I feel that I look much bigger than what my scale tells me as I know people heavier than me around the same height who appear much smaller. I really just fear gaining a lot of weight again if I were to start eating more laxed. If I can keep my weight steady..that'd be my ultimate goal.

• Tialuna18
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    I hope you increase your calories if you're going to "work out" more. If you're already fatigued and having problems focusing due to your caloric intake then throwing exercise on top of that is a recipe for trouble.

Eventually with time yes. That is what I was hoping to do should I reach a higher level of intensity.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I'm 5'5 and In all honesty..I think I'd be okay at this weight if I didn't hold as much skin or stomach fat. I feel that I look much bigger than what my scale tells me as I know people heavier than me around the same height who appear much smaller. I really just fear gaining a lot of weight again if I were to start eating more laxed. If I can keep my weight steady..that'd be my ultimate goal.

Are you doing any kind of resistance training?

I took the pic on the left right when I started lifting weights. The pic on the right is from a year later. I actually weigh more on the right but I wore a smaller jeans size.

afc9bfa1-91d1-4125-981e-4815e3932ed7_zps6606460a.png

• Tialuna18
    Options

I took the pic on the left right when I started lifting weights. The pic on the right is from a year later. I actually weigh more on the right but I wore a smaller jeans size.

First of all.. you look fabulous and that's amazing transformation. I want to get into resistance training. Do you have any recommendations? Currently my pants size is around a 5-7 US depending It was a steady 5 over that summer. I'd like to work on getting it back.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

First of all.. you look fabulous and that's amazing transformation. I want to get into resistance training. Do you have any recommendations? Currently my pants size is around a 5-7 US depending It was a steady 5 over that summer. I'd like to work on getting it back.

Thank you. If you have access to a gym I recommend Starting Strength or Strong Curves (I haven't done the latter but it has great reviews). If you don't have access to a gym You Are Your Own Gym is a body weight workout you can do at home.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

[/quote]

[/quote]

What a perfect example of a recomp! You're slim in both pictures, but you can clearly see the definition, shape and leanness that comes with less body fat-rather than just being skinnier. Good job!
  • ahuesca
    ahuesca Posts: 2
    Options
    What is "strength or strong curves"?