Weight loss has stopped

Options
Hi
My name is Chris and I have being counting calories since January and have lost 9lbs and for the past few weeks my weight loss has stalled. What can I do to push on further.

Thanks.

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Check the math and that you are correcly calculating a deficit. You dont have that much to lose so 0.5lb a week would be reasonable.

I would first be patient for at least another week, but then you have 2 options eat less or move more. Most people normally have room for adjustment simply by checking the accuracy of their logging.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh everything you eat with a food scale? Do you eat back exercise calories? As 999tigger says, half a pound a week is a reasonable loss, make sure you're not expecting too much!
  • chrismadden609
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback I dont weigh everything I eat but I do scan where possible. I don't eat back exercise calories all the time. I have only added them three times at the most.

Regards
    Chris
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely recommend weighing food whenever you can for things that aren't prepacked (and even if they are some people still weigh them as the weight printed on the packet isn't always accurate). If you don't always eat back your exercise calories that's probably fine, but it's worth mentioning to make sure that you're not overestimating how many calories you're burning. Exercise machines and the MFP database tend to overestimate, so if you're going by them often people tend to eat 50-80% of the calories back rather than all of them to account for it overestimating.

If you're still not losing weight after a few weeks of weighing your food you may have to consider lowering your calories (or doing more exercise).

Good luck!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    There you are, fairy has delat with it, just accept you are not doing the basis as well as you ccould. Simply eating more than you think and not tight enough on your logging. Sort that out and you cna put yourself back on deficit. Be patient as well as consistent.

You dont have much to lose so it will be stubborn to lose the last few lbs. Patience.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I like this calculator for figuring out my calories and macros http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ It was online with the numbers my nutritionist recommended. Are you working out? I would recommend taking your measurements and having your body fat percentage done. You may not be losing weight on the scale; however, you could be losing body fat and gaining muscle. Also be faithful with weights and measurements. Even if you are 500 calories over every day, log it so you'll know where you need to make changes.
  • chrismadden609
    Options
    Folks,

Thanks for all your comments and tips I will start implementing them from today. You all made valid points and I appreciate it.

Chris
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback I dont weigh everything I eat but I do scan where possible. I don't eat back exercise calories all the time. I have only added them three times at the most.

Regards
    Chris

Other have mentioned the accuracy of a food scale, but I want to address the barcode scanner. I use it whenever possible, too, but make sure that you're double-checking the information the system pulls up against your label. Sometimes companies make changes to their product by keep the old UPC, so the app occasionally pulls up outdated information. Sometimes it's a small inconsistency that probably won't matter much (I find entries that are 10-20 calories off pretty frequently) and sometimes it's really far off.

Usually I find the barcode scanner accurate, but sometimes I hit a stretch where it's pulling up bad information. Don't trust it. Double-check.

• aliali786
    aliali786 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Always double check information after scanning and make the investment in a scale really helps
  • chrismadden609
    Options
    Thanks all I have increased my exercise and lost 2 more pound this week so I'm lower now than I have been in years. Thanks all for your help
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Most excellent!!!