Daily Sugar goals

Options
Hi all! I was just wondering what people's sugar goals are set to and why? Mine is currently 45g a day as was set when I arranged MFP profile. Does it matter whether the sugar is natural from fruit or added sugar in foods? Thanks!

Replies

• MissMary75044
    MissMary75044 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Mine's 100, I cut soda before using MFP and I am still getting too much. MFP does count fruit sugar though so if you drink juice or smoothies you could end up exceeding your intake. Since reducing my sugar I have less acne and my skin has cleared up most of the way.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    No idea, I don't track it or even include it in my private database entries.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I do not eat sugar - I read labels and try my hardest to avoid anything that contains sugar. And I still go over every day. Personally I don't pay any attention to it, just try to make sure my sugars come from natural, unprocessed and unrefined sources.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I was just wondering what people's sugar goals are set to and why? Mine is currently 45g a day as was set when I arranged MFP profile. Does it matter whether the sugar is natural from fruit or added sugar in foods? Thanks!

Set at 15% of calories by default, represents sugars from all sources.

1200 cals * 15% = 180 calories, /4 = 45 grams.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Because no one will ever go over 15% for sugar intake since fruit doesn't count, or something.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    69 hurr hurr

I don't bother tracking it. I don't have a medical reason to do so.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 150g, I am usually around 100g though. But my cal intake is high. I don't really pay attention to it to be honest
  • Sassimel
    Sassimel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey Courtney, I was wondering the same thing! It seems harsh to count grapefruit as my daily sugar intake!???? Holy cow, if you eat a banana, game over! I guess I just won't worry about it as long as my sugar is from fruit/etc. and not Coca Cola (my vice). :smiley:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I probably get about 50 to 100 grams a day from sugar depending on what I am eating. I track it out of curiosity and no other reason.

source of sugar does not matter; ten grams of apple sugar = ten grams of table sugar

there is really no reason to avoid sugar unless you have a medical condition.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I don't track it!! :)
  • massimo690
    massimo690 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I eat 80 grams and you have to count all sugar even from fruits, dairy etc.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Not sure what it's set at, but I know I blew it today with the 700 calories of jelly beans I ate for breakfast. ;)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Not sure what it's set at, but I know I blew it today with the 700 calories of jelly beans I ate for breakfast. ;)

*like* ;)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I think mine is at 65g now. I rarely get close to that much, but thats not intentional.

If you don't have a mddical reason to track it - don't
  • courtneymedwell2014
    courtneymedwell2014 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Sassimel wrote: »
    Hey Courtney, I was wondering the same thing! It seems harsh to count grapefruit as my daily sugar intake!???? Holy cow, if you eat a banana, game over! I guess I just won't worry about it as long as my sugar is from fruit/etc. and not Coca Cola (my vice). :smiley:

That's what my problem is. I hate eating breakfast so I have a banana and might have some berries during the day as a snack and sometimes reach my sugar goal and wonder if it's as bad as if I were reaching it through eating chocolate etc.
  • courtneymedwell2014
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I probably get about 50 to 100 grams a day from sugar depending on what I am eating. I track it out of curiosity and no other reason.

source of sugar does not matter; ten grams of apple sugar = ten grams of table sugar

So I shouldn't get too hung up if I go over? I love fruit and as I am trying to not have breads/ too many carbs as snacks I have been trying to have berries and fruit which I always thought was a good choice til I saw some of my sugar stats were over the goal a little.
  • courtneymedwell2014
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Makes sense! Thank you!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

So I shouldn't get too hung up if I go over? I love fruit and as I am trying to not have breads/ too many carbs as snacks I have been trying to have berries and fruit which I always thought was a good choice til I saw some of my sugar stats were over the goal a little.

no, I would not get hung up on it…

unless of course your sugar consumption is putting you into a calorie surplus….

but if you are in a deficit and going over on sugar, then there is no need to worry….
  • JessHelsel
    JessHelsel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was sooo frustrated with this too... My calorie goal is 1490, but they set my sugar goal to be 30g. So that doesn't add up to the 15% rule stated above...

In breakfast alone, I went over the goal due to eating honeydew melon and a single serving of Kashi GoLean Crunch cereal. 34g of sugar. In one meal.

All that does is seriously shame me for eating normal, healthy foods. I wish the people that came up with this number would explain why. Because I am NOT switching to artificial sweeteners, and 30 grams of sugar seems ridiculous. How are we supposed to eat healthy nutritious foods when literally everything, even vegetables, has sugar??? I guess I have to live on ... I dunno.... boiled egg whites and spinach???