Are cheat days bad for your diet?

Options

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    spzjlb wrote: »
    In my opinion, if long term weight loss - and then maintaining that goal weight - is your objective, then it is just not going to work if you cheat and pretend that you are just relaxing. It is a lifestyle. We should try to be relaxed all the time, but fit it all into our limits.
    ^^
    This.

I am here because I want to permanently and sustainably change my relationship with food and exercise.

I don't expect to always stay within my self imposed calorie budget. And I don't feel particularly guilty when I, occasionally, do not--though I do feel pissed off it the food quality wasn't worth it!

But to deliberately decide that "there is no calorie budget today"? "I'll do whatever", because it is an "official cheat day"?

How would that help me to permanently and sustainably learn not to operate like I used to when I would eat four dinner plates during Sunday brunch and have trouble walking out of the restaurant?

Yeah, this. "Cheat" implies that there is some kind of way to get a "day off" from your physiology, and that you are "on a diet" and can't wait to be "done."
  • honeynutloop
    honeynutloop Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    spzjlb wrote: »
    In my opinion, if long term weight loss - and then maintaining that goal weight - is your objective, then it is just not going to work if you cheat and pretend that you are just relaxing. It is a lifestyle. We should try to be relaxed all the time, but fit it all into our limits.
    ^^
    This.

I am here because I want to permanently and sustainably change my relationship with food and exercise.

I don't expect to always stay within my self imposed calorie budget. And I don't feel particularly guilty when I, occasionally, do not--though I do feel pissed off it the food quality wasn't worth it!

But to deliberately decide that "there is no calorie budget today"? "I'll do whatever", because it is an "official cheat day"?

How would that help me to permanently and sustainably learn not to operate like I used to when I would eat four dinner plates during Sunday brunch and have trouble walking out of the restaurant?

Yeah, this. "Cheat" implies that there is some kind of way to get a "day off" from your physiology, and that you are "on a diet" and can't wait to be "done."

This some more. I want this "diet" to become a permanent way of life so i eat what i want but within my calorie limit and occasionally (not to a schedule) have days or meals when my calories go crazy. I still log everything because i find it interesting but i feel that this is a more realistically sustainable way to approach healthier eating.
    I would add the general rule that if you find something that works for you then do it. Everyone's body and mind is different so will respond differently to different stategies.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I used to have a cheat evening on a Friday night but it was such a huge binge that it did impact on the whole following week. A bottle of wine would be consumed then all self control would go out the window. I was consuming 2 days worth of calories in 1 evening and it would take me a full 7 days to get my weight back down to where it was on Friday morning. Last weekend I didn't drink at all and didn't binge. I had a pizza that fitted into my daily allowance. I've had such a great feeling of control all week!
  • tropicgran
    tropicgran Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day every now and then. As a matter of fact, week before last, I had two. One was intentional--I was hungry, I wanted what I wanted and wasn't going to substitute. So I ate it--several times, LOL! The other time, I was at a restaurant I had never been to, with limited choices for eating what I needed. In either instance I didn't worry about it; I made sure I did a little extra exercise the next couple of days.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I have a free day scheduled into my eating plan. I eat things I may not have during the week like a 1/2 cup ice cream or white bread but I stick to one portion. I am allowed 2100 on this day. This severely cut down on my binging or cheating and its nice. I don't go crazy but I do have to log it to keep control bc I am not ready for a no calories counting day yet.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I have a free day scheduled into my eating plan. I eat things I may not have during the week like a 1/2 cup ice cream or white bread but I stick to one portion. I am allowed 2100 on this day. This severely cut down on my binging or cheating and its nice. I don't go crazy but I do have to log it to keep control bc I am not ready for a no calories counting day yet.

Oh and it has helped in my weight loss as well bc my calories are cycled.
  • r_wilson9
    r_wilson9 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Belle8312 wrote: »
    Easiest answer: Yes.

However, I usually go for a cheat meal, not a whole cheat day.

So great that's exactly what I do!! Because the whole day just means a whole days worth of cheat food!! Totally agree
  • r_wilson9
    r_wilson9 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey you guys looking for moral support I'm really trying to lose weight I'm down 10lbs looking forward to gym time every chance I get!!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    As a collage student ...

"collage" ...

lol

thank you, I didn't want to be the evil one to point that out.... LOL
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,913 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I am trying to lose weight, and therefore I do not plan to take cheat days or meals. I'm on a mission.

However, of course, if I exercise more, I can eat more. I will often eat up to about half my calories back.

And I don't eliminate foods or restrict myself to salad or anything.

For example, about a month ago, I ate half a small cheesecake ... and that was OK because I had exercised more than enough to cover it. :)

That's not cheating ... that's strategic planning.

And I figure that when I get down to a certain weight, I will increase my calories a little bit to slow the weight loss, and may be able to include more yummy food if I want.

This guy gets it.

Thanks ... and it's 'girl'. :)

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,913 Member
    Options
    The thing is ... it took me 4 years to gain 15 kg, so my weight gain was very slow. During those 4 years, I ate reasonably during the week, and usually ate more on the weekends (like your "cheat days"). All week long, I'd lose weight ... and then I'd gain it back again by the end of the weekend. Weeks would go by and I'd more or less maintain my weight ... and then I might gain half a kilo and maintain that for several weeks. So subtle I hardly noticed.

And then one day I realised that I'm 15 kg heavier than I was 4 years ago!! When did that happen??

So for me, for now, I need to stick to a deliberate, strategic, well-thought out plan in order to lose those 15 kg. I can't just let myself go once a week. I've done that, and look where it got me ... 15 kg heavier.

• GWehsling
    GWehsling Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    A cheat day means I can hang out with my kids and we can eat something treat-y together without me enforcing my diet on them. Also, I do try to keep it a 'clean'-ish treat, like homemade French fries or homemade pizza.

But yeah, as said, make it a treat meal rather than a treat day.
  • gle8442
    gle8442 Posts: 126 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Of course whenever you eat more calories, it slows your progress down, so in that sense cheat days are bad. On the other hand, it can be really tough to stick with a diet that's too restrictive, so a WOE that allows for the occasional dinner out or occasional slice of birthday cake is probably more sustainable for a lot of us. There is a balance to be struck.
  • Terryb99
    Terryb99 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Funny this topic popped up on the featured topic on my feed, because I am ready to leave for a cheat meal. :) My kids are talking me out for my birthday tonight. (10 days late, but it is the first time they have a day off at the same time. They are both nurses, and work crazy shifts)

Historically, for ME, cheat days actually help my weight loss. When I go into weight loss mode, with lots of exercise, my net calories gets very low. When I bounce up in the calories once or twice a month, it seems to jolt my body back into weight loss mode after a plateau.

Again, this works for ME, it may not for everyone. Now, I am leaving to meet the kids and enjoy a totally guilt free evening of eating whatever the hell I want. >:)

Have a great night everyone. :p
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I do a cheat day once a week, only if I've lost weight. I lost 61 pounds with that being part of my routine. I did all right with it on maintenance... until I stopped logging. The secret to a cheat day, is to not eat above what your maintenance calorie limit would be.
  • audrast
    audrast Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    On the topic of leptin levels, the term "refeed" is preferred over "cheat." You aren't cheating, you're actually tricking your body by using a refeed day. The basic premise is that your body wants to keep its fat reserves and once you start a weight loss regime, your body will try to put a halt on the process by slowing down the metabolism and increasing the overall uptake of calories you consume. So even if you're going at the exercise and diet hardcore, your body's chemistry will still be trying to work against you.

A refeed day, iirc going above your normal caloric intake by 25%, will trick your body into thinking, "Hey! The lunatic has seen reason and is beefing up again. I can stop this starvation mode." Leptin levels return to normal and metabolism comes out of starvation mode. You can then hit the training regime again and feed off the "non-starvation-mode" metabolism.

All that being said, I've read that everybody's leptin sensitivity is different. Some people respond well to this technique, others don't. If you find yourself on plateau after plateau and you're doing your diet and exercise right, you might want to try the refeed to see if you get that metabolic bump.

A refeed day doesn't mean driving to the nearest fast food joint and camping out all day sampling the whole menu. You still have to eat responsibly, but an increase in protein and fat can help.

This is what I have read from various sources and it works for me. I use a refeed day every 7-10 days or so and maintain a smooth weight loss profile when I do. If I stick to my calorie targets every day for a month, I will plateau. So it's basically getting to know your body well enough to know what works for you.
  • audrast
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I guess everything I've read and success I've experienced with the technique is wrong.

I did make an omission mistake about the protein/fat though. I meant to write an increase in carbs and a overall decrease in protein and fat can help.
  • audrast
    Options
    When you say "over time," is there anything more specific? Does that mean a week, a month... a year? I have observed hard plataeus on my own journey through weight loss and have managed to figure out how to tweak my diet to respond to and actually avoid that plateau. I've also read that a refeed can be effective if it "lasts" for 12-48 hours.